Help Needed! Food and Toys for my good boys!

Leatherneck

Apr 3, 2013
Youngstown, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Gomer & Vince
I have read numerous threads here and hate repeating questions already answered, but I need to narrow my choices! Apparently which food is used is determined by which works best for that particular individual and what works for one may not work for another. My guys are 1 now and I have had them on Royal Canin Bulldog 24. This food has definitely reduced their "gas" production and was not showing any other problems, but doesn't appear to be helping their coats. Vince has shown no problems until this week, whereas Gomer has numerous issues. Vince is now starting to show blotches in his coat where the hair is falling out and not regrowing. Gomer has this extensively and it looks like a bad case of acne. When you look at his pictures, the black spots are where the hair is gone. Anyway we have had them on Purina Pro Plan and Hill's Science Diet, both of which caused frequent diarrhea. So I am trying to see if Dick Van Paten's Natural Balance (does Tillman really use it!) or Blue brand foods would be good choices to pick from. Is anyone using them or has used them and had negative results?

Next issue is toys. These guys will pulverize something within minutes if they can get their mouth on it. I use Kong brand toys and even those are destroyed quickly. The rubber Extreme Goodie Bone will have the end chewed off after about 30 minutes of chewing; the Kong Ballistic they have managed to get to the white stuffing after 15 minutes or so chewing. I only let them play with these toys a few minutes a night because of the destruction (and the replacement costs - although Kong is great at reimbursing). Gomer even managed to deflate a regulation basketball from the sporting goods store! Any ideas? I have bought the rope toys and they chew and fray them as well quickly.

IMG_0524_2.jpgIMG_0624.jpg
I will glady listen to all suggestions!!! Thank you for your support

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Food... I never used the two you refer to... I am currently feeding Fromm Beef Fritatta and am going to try their new flavor Pork and Peas.. Banks is allergic to chicken and has issues with grain and white potatoes so I need to avoid those ingredients.

Tpys/bones.... Banks destroys everything except nylabones, antlers and marrow bones. Kong toys do not last long with her either.

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
As for food, Forde is on blue buffalo lamb and rice just recently switched to it due to him licking paws non stop.....thought about doing his food myself, just not sure I can find the time it requires so putting that to the side for the time being......I would like to find the Fromm pork and peas, i would probably try it, i pulled up a few places around here that carry Fromm...but only the pork and applesauce flavor...going to call a few more places soon.....He's doing okay on the blue buffalo, still licking and biting at his paws some....but nothing like before, this could though get better with time...hes not been on it all that long :)

Forde is the same way with tearing up things...although he has a few things that are KONG that he hasn't tore apart... after joining here and reading about the deer & elk antlers.... i found them at petsmart, he loves them and chews to his hearts content......:)

OP
Leatherneck

Leatherneck

Apr 3, 2013
Youngstown, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Gomer & Vince
Thanks everyone I appreciate the tips. Will look for the antlers tomorrow, and have to shop around for a Fromm's retailer here.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
if you are trying to narrow down allergies to food natural balance lid foods can help. im not thrilled with the low protein but there are those here that have used them with good results. blue has been used here to with good results but alot stay away cause they use chicken in pretty much all their grain free recipes. all bullies are not allergic to chicken but alot are. perhaps the freedom blue or wilderness. blue also has a basic line but as with the natural balance the protein is very low. can you get natures variety limited ingredient food. it has alot higher protein and is a good food.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
A breeder suggested I have Mabel's deer antler cut in half lengthwise. Have any of you done this?

Ooooo I wouldn't Chris.. It could weaken them. If they splinter, they need to be tossed. I find mine love the really huuuuge elk antlers..and the bigger the better! Lol

You can buy them split already...

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Currently Ace is on Fromms grain free. Frittata and rotating with the other Fromm grain free versions now. Antlers seem to be best enjoyed by Ace. He could care less for the kongs or nylabones. He does like the chuckit balls for play and they are quite durable as well.

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
I would not split the antlers I would think they would just become brittle.They love them whole so I wouldn't take the chance.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
where in the world do you buy deer antlers from??

Try Carolina Pet Pantry. They sell them , but I've noticed that antlers are increasing in popularity so if you google them you'll probably find a lot more places that they are sold.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I would follow the food advice you got from [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]. Personally, I feed half Fromm Beef Frittata and half home cooked

For toys everything gets shredded apart from the black Kongs, and the Nylabones. Specifically the large Nylabones with the orange middle and white ends!! :up:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Take a look at West Paw Design toys. They're 100% guaranteed, made in the USA and come in all kinds of shapes and sizes. They're a staple in my house now. None of my dogs have ever liked to play with Kongs....not sure why.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.