Help Needed! dog food trouble / tear stain worst

pinkbully

Feb 20, 2013
Louisiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie Moo born 12/14/12
Ok I have alot of info in this post.. Maggie was on Iams trying to find a better food. We went with Victor . Went to get more and the feed store only had 40lb bags. So my husband said he liked the TOTW better .She still had tear stain and pink face on Victor. So I told my husband ok.. So we got some.. So we started to change her over to TOTW puppy . It will be a week tomorrow .. Well I started adding more of the TOTW to the Victor yesterday and her tear stair got horrible with in hours of doing so .. I also started her on bottled water this week instead of tap water.. Other things we have done in the last week to 2 weeks also .. Started putting Apple cider vinger in her water but relized I was using the wrong one. It was from Walmart. I stoped that yesterday .. We started using a new washing powder and she is getting Nutro Crunchy Treats Apple now.. But like I said the tear stain and her face more pink was after goinh with more TOTW in the Victor. Started 1/2 and 1/2.. What should I do ? Thinking about stopping the TOTW..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]

are both foods grain free? the tear stains can be from the protein - is it the same protein for both foods (chicken, beef)? also the Nutro treats... grain free / protein?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i would be backing off the totw n staying half n half then u can add more again and see if u get the same results if so then stop the totw or u can just back off the totw to less than 1/2 and 1/2 and see if it improves. ive found with bullies its all about the protein. find a protein your bully tolerates then work out from there. a limited ingredient food is good in these situations where ur not sure whats causing the problem. also could be outside allergies as well. did ur bully go outside after eating. i know the air here was very bad last week. also no treats till u see what going on.

Last edited:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
That's an awfully young baby to be making such rapid changes. Back up and get her settled, then make your changes VERY slowly.
I dont know what spring is like where you are but many places are getting nailed with pollen in the air right now so if she has environmental allergies they would be heightened right now.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
That's an awfully young baby to be making such rapid changes. Back up and get her settled, then make your changes VERY slowly.
I dont know what spring is like where you are but many places are getting nailed with pollen in the air right now so if she has environmental allergies they would be heightened right now.

Agree, and I would lay off treats and other add ons until you get her settled on the food. It could very well be the treats and not the food but since you're giving both its impossible to know. Hope it gets better for you both soon!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I've found that it's good to make one change at a time. Only then you really know that causes those bad reactions, or good reactions.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I think everybody has covered all that I was going to say!!! Good luck!!

OP
pinkbully

pinkbully

Feb 20, 2013
Louisiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie Moo born 12/14/12
Thanks everyone for the help.. I am sorry I did to much at one time.. She went for her 16 wk shots and check up.. The Vet Said to her she thinks it outside doing it to her. That I can give her some Benadryl.. I have not given her any yet. I kept feeding her 1/2 and 1/2 .. I stopped using the washing powder. The pollen here has been bad.. I have been watching her and she crys more after we go out.. She has been inside most of yesterday and today due to bad weather .. And she looks alot better.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Thanks everyone for the help.. I am sorry I did to much at one time.. She went for her 16 wk shots and check up.. The Vet Said to her she thinks it outside doing it to her. That I can give her some Benadryl.. I have not given her any yet. I kept feeding her 1/2 and 1/2 .. I stopped using the washing powder. The pollen here has been bad.. I have been watching her and she crys more after we go out.. She has been inside most of yesterday and today due to bad weather .. And she looks alot better.

Good Morning little lady, ok, lets exhale and relax just a bit. hhmmm, ok, I'm not sure what the washing powder is? but less stress is best.
I like to use less stressful things on the face. A plain wet wash cloth or wet paper towel. Dry, and then with a small dab of Desetin on your finger, apply to the red tear stains. If her eyes are real watery, it could be allergy or eyelashes. I don't have tear stains on any of my five right now, but I did at one time and we beat the condition, you will too.
Next visit ask your vet to check for eyelashes inside her eyelids.
It's ok, you're just an anxious mom wanting only the best for your baby. and they are just like baby's. You are a great mom who cares very much.

OP
pinkbully

pinkbully

Feb 20, 2013
Louisiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie Moo born 12/14/12
Good Morning little lady, ok, lets exhale and relax just a bit. hhmmm, ok, I'm not sure what the washing powder is? but less stress is best.
I like to use less stressful things on the face. A plain wet wash cloth or wet paper towel. Dry, and then with a small dab of Desetin on your finger, apply to the red tear stains. If her eyes are real watery, it could be allergy or eyelashes. I don't have tear stains on any of my five right now, but I did at one time and we beat the condition, you will too.
Next visit ask your vet to check for eyelashes inside her eyelids.
It's ok, you're just an anxious mom wanting only the best for your baby. and they are just like baby's. You are a great mom who cares very much.

Thanks I am trying so hard to do the right thing for her .. Its making my head hurt lol What do you feed your 5 ? How did you get rid of the tear stains? This is so hard ... I thought I was doing good with the TOTW but then it made at a diamond plant.. So I done wrong there with the recalls.. The Victor is hard to find and it is so small I dont think she was chewing it..

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
well they really don't chew, they do what is called bolt their food. toss it to the back of the mouth and swallow. espcially if the kibble is small, and that's ok. I'm feeding Fromm Pork and applesauce also Fromm Senior. for the tearstain, try this, take just a dab of vasaline on your finger tip, then wipe off the vasaline with a tissue. after that, put a dab of Desetin on your finger tip and gently rub that into the tear stain, keep out of the eye. Also try bottled water.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.