Help Needed! Help with foods

racer

Apr 6, 2013
Louisiana
Bulldog(s) Names
speedy
Hi I am new here and I have been reading alot. I am trying to get info before taking Speedy home this week. The Breeder has him on Iams but I seen on here that is not a good food. I am in a wheelchair and on a budget. There is no place that sells Fromm around here and I really dont have the money for it.. I dont have a Costo around here either.. I can get TOTW, Victor or 4health very easy... Which one is better or like which is 1,2, 3... Any help in much appericated... thanks

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I'm pretty sure all three of those are decent foods, but I'll tag [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] to be sure.

Don't forget you can get Fromm puppy from petflow right to your door. They have awesome treats and toys on clearance all the time too! There is usually a limit on those so I get as many as I can! Coupon code is Englishbulldog to get free shipping over. $49

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

shobbsie

Mar 28, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Two
Hi and welcome! I'm a very new Bulldog parent, but saw that no one had posted yet. I say look at ingredients and buy the best food you can afford. Maybe cooking "people" food might be an option? We all do the best we can do for our fur-babies. The most important thing is that they are loved and we provide healthcare. I didn't look to link, but read the nutrition section (which you probably already have). I looked for very low grain food. My Vet did say to limit chicken, and I know chicken could be a problem. Don't know why I can't get the italics turned off...oh well. My girl doesn't seem to have a problem with chicken. While this same vet said to look at foods where the protein source is duck, venison, salmon or turkey; the same vet said allergies aren't aggravated by grains :confused: . Sounds like you're doing your homework before bringing Speedy home. Post some pics!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well i dont really like totw or 4 health because of the diamond pet food manufacturing thing but the victor food looks ok. you could try nutrisource grain free or earthborn they are a bit cheaper. [MENTION=8535]racer[/MENTION]. if you need more i can check on some more for you.

OP
racer

racer

Apr 6, 2013
Louisiana
Bulldog(s) Names
speedy
Hi and welcome! I'm a very new Bulldog parent, but saw that no one had posted yet. I say look at ingredients and buy the best food you can afford. Maybe cooking "people" food might be an option? We all do the best we can do for our fur-babies. The most important thing is that they are loved and we provide healthcare. I didn't look to link, but read the nutrition section (which you probably already have). I looked for very low grain food. My Vet did say to limit chicken, and I know chicken could be a problem. Don't know why I can't get the italics turned off...oh well. My girl doesn't seem to have a problem with chicken. While this same vet said to look at foods where the protein source is duck, venison, salmon or turkey; the same vet said allergies aren't aggravated by grains :confused: . Sounds like you're doing your homework before bringing Speedy home. Post some pics!

thanks for he help

OP
racer

racer

Apr 6, 2013
Louisiana
Bulldog(s) Names
speedy
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] why you dont like diamond?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm pretty sure all three of those are decent foods, but I'll tag @cowsmom to be sure.

Don't forget you can get Fromm puppy from petflow right to your door. They have awesome treats and toys on clearance all the time too! There is usually a limit on those so I get as many as I can! Coupon code is Englishbulldog to get free shipping over. $49

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

thanks

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=8535]racer[/MENTION] well diamond pet foods has has many troubles with their plant and have had numerous recalls the last one being last year for salmonella. i do not trust this company anymore but there are those here who still feed their foods and have had no trouble. just a personal thing and we all have to decide for ourselves whats ok and whats not.

OP
racer

racer

Apr 6, 2013
Louisiana
Bulldog(s) Names
speedy
@racer well diamond pet foods has has many troubles with their plant and have had numerous recalls the last one being last year for salmonella. i do not trust this company anymore but there are those here who still feed their foods and have had no trouble. just a personal thing and we all have to decide for ourselves whats ok and whats not.

Thanks,as long as it's grain free he should be ok?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh dear there is no one food or one thing that works for all bullies as there allergies are different with each dog. most here stay away from grains n chicken as bullies seem to not do well with these but it not an exact thing. i would start with no grains and finding a protein that works for your bully then work out from there. interestingly enough sarah seems to do the best with chicken protein so go figure :blink:

OP
racer

racer

Apr 6, 2013
Louisiana
Bulldog(s) Names
speedy
oh dear there is no one food or one thing that works for all bullies as there allergies are different with each dog. most here stay away from grains n chicken as bullies seem to not do well with these but it not an exact thing. i would start with no grains and finding a protein that works for your bully then work out from there. interestingly enough sarah seems to do the best with chicken protein so go figure :blink:

Ok,so it's mostly a trial and error process.Could this be because of the type of food the breeder used while pregnant?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Ok,so it's mostly a trial and error process.Could this be because of the type of food the breeder used while pregnant?
oh i see you are bringing home a puppy well then chicken is mostly what protein puppy food is made of really. honestly i would use what the breeder is using for a bit then when the pup is situated to you and the surroundings which can be very stressful then i would see bout a better food. ill be honest when ur pup is starting out getting a good food can help with things down the road so i would buy the best food you can afford really. do they have blue buffalo around you? its been used before and its pretty widespread as far as being available. are u getting this at tractor supply as they have blue i think.

OP
racer

racer

Apr 6, 2013
Louisiana
Bulldog(s) Names
speedy
oh i see you are bringing home a puppy well then chicken is mostly what protein puppy food is made of really. honestly i would use what the breeder is using for a bit then when the pup is situated to you and the surroundings which can be very stressful then i would see bout a better food. ill be honest when ur pup is starting out getting a good food can help with things down the road so i would buy the best food you can afford really. do they have blue buffalo around you? its been used before and its pretty widespread as far as being available. are u getting this at tractor supply as they have blue i think.
Yes they have Blue near me.At Petsmart and a Tractor supply company.Breeder has the on Iams.Not a fan of commercialized food.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Yes they have Blue near me.At Petsmart and a Tractor supply company.Breeder has the on Iams.Not a fan of commercialized food.
im not suggesting u leave him on the iams forever but im telling u is stress can cause compromised immune systems n lead to mange and things so the less stress to ur new puppy the better. so for a few weeks i would leave him on the iams then switch to something else very gradually as bullies can have sensitive digestions. if u must have an order i would pick the victor, totw, then 4health. honestly id use victor or blue buffalo till they get older since that is what seems available but thats something u have to decide for urself. blue has grain free puppy formulas but the wilderness can get a bit pricey and wellness core is good to and has a puppy formula.

OP
racer

racer

Apr 6, 2013
Louisiana
Bulldog(s) Names
speedy
im not suggesting u leave him on the iams forever but im telling u is stress can cause compromised immune systems n lead to mange and things so the less stress to ur new puppy the better. so for a few weeks i would leave him on the iams then switch to something else very gradually as bullies can have sensitive digestions. if u must have an order i would pick the victor, totw, then 4health. honestly id use victor or blue buffalo till they get older since that is what seems available but thats something u have to decide for urself. blue has grain free puppy formulas but the wilderness can get a bit pricey and wellness core is good to and has a puppy formula.

Thanks,they have Wellness at both stores.Was looking at ingredients and seems to be a good food.Tractor Supple is closer to me and only has Wellness puppy in Super5mix in a yellow bag. Is that one good. They didnt have the wellness core in puppy.. What do you think of the I should get out of those you mentioned.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online