Help Needed! Lucy and the poops

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Ok so Lucy has had the poops pretty much since I got her but is testing negative for parasites and worms. I have given her eathborn grain free, earthborn puppy, and now Merrick puppy. I have her on the bland diet and as soon as I start mixing kibble in with it her poop turns runny! Im not sure what is causing this but im concerned! I am wondering if I should try a limited ingredient or not? I need some serious guidance! I am not sure what to try or what could be going on! Someone please help!

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
OMG, this sounds like Bogey! Truly, I was at my wits end! We tried, Fromms puppy, Fromms beef fritatta, and as soon as we got to 1/2 cup- soft serve at best. As the day went on, more like runny! Then we tried Purevita grain free bison- it is a one protein source food. We did fine for about 2 weeks - poop was firm, but he was still having 7-8 poops a day. But since it was formed, i was ok with this. then, the soft serve started so we had his stool tested AGAIN and it was all negative. Back to bland, stools firmed right up, and decreased to 2-3 times a day. I challenged the Purevita again, and did ok until he gets to 1/2 cup and then soft serve and an increase in amount of poop. So we went back to bland for 1 week, I went with Natures Instinct Lamb Limited ingredient. No potatoes in it at all- the starch is tapioca. So far so good and we are going on week 3. I give him 1/2 cup kibble with 1/2 cup of homemade(lean ground beef and boiled rice) twice a day. He is 6 months old and I have cut out the noon meal- I do give him a snack of cottage cheese, white rice and yogurt at noon. Very small amount. This has been frustrating to say the least. But it's all trial and error. good luck!

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
[MENTION=7064]mer55[/MENTION]-I took Lucy back to the vet today just to make sure nothing was wrong and she testing negative again but it did give me a chance to talk to the vet and he said she has an allergy to something in the food and he prefers that we stay grain free but also no beef, chicken, or turkey, he said to give salmon a try so I went and picked up a limited salmon food that is grain free so we shall see how that goes! The vet also said that she looks ok but he is worried about dehydration with all this going on so he told me to make sure she is getting lots of water. I told him about the bland diet and he said that was a good idea and slowly start adding kibble so back to square one! Hopefully this is it!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww I'm sorry you're having to go through this. I had similar problems with my Blossom, but not as severe as what you are going through. We switched foods 4 times, she is allergic or sensitive to chicken, salmon, grains, and corn. We switched to Fromms Beef Frittata, and she has been on this for 8 months now, and is doing great. It is trail and error and can be frustrating to find the right food. Have you tried home cooking? I home cook half of my guys food, so they get kibble in the morning, and home cooked in the evening, and both are doing well on this food. I hope you find a food that Lucy can tolerate. Good luck

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
The only home cooking I have tried is the bland diet so nothing more than that. I hope this works I just want her to be healthy and happy so I hope it is coming soon!

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Oh so sorry your having these issues with Lucy, hopefully the salmon food will help.

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
@mer55-I took Lucy back to the vet today just to make sure nothing was wrong and she testing negative again but it did give me a chance to talk to the vet and he said she has an allergy to something in the food and he prefers that we stay grain free but also no beef, chicken, or turkey, he said to give salmon a try so I went and picked up a limited salmon food that is grain free so we shall see how that goes! The vet also said that she looks ok but he is worried about dehydration with all this going on so he told me to make sure she is getting lots of water. I told him about the bland diet and he said that was a good idea and slowly start adding kibble so back to square one! Hopefully this is it!

Are you willing to try raw? Mine are raw fed and we love it but unfortunately, Cleo has a bad allergy to grass so she doesn't get to be outside very much. If not, perhaps the home made diet that already works for you will be best instead of trying to find the right kibble? Either way, good luck to you and Lucy-goosey she's too precious to be known as the Poop-inator!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
are you switching slowly? if you switch too fast, that will cause runny poos.

Also I have a few questions: is the poop yellowish or grey in appearance? Do the dogs have a huge appetite and always seems hungry? Loosing weight or looking thinner?

My Bella had that issue from a pup, she was just 5 months and almost dead before we figured out what was wrong. Thank God we caught it in time. But since then I have found and helped other bulldog puppies with the same disease. If you would like to read more, go to www.epi4dogs.com. Word of caution, one owner had a vet that insisted EPI was not the case, she demanded the blood test and it came out positive. So go with your gut.

Deestar

Mar 2, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
I went through the same thing with my Lucy a while ago. Turned out she was sensitive to chicken. She is now on lamb and doing great. Good luck! :-)

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Her poop is normal color she just goes all the time! She still is hungry and eats every meal just watch out right after because she is about to blow! She is drinking water like normal and seems ok she just poops a lot and its like water! I have been switching her very slowly she doesn't even get to 1/4 cup with her rice and it turns ugly! I am not opposed to home cooked food but I prefer kibble but in the long run if kibble doesn't work I will start raw but hopefully the salmon works! We started salmon last night and so far it is ok still soft serve but even if the salmon works I would think it will take some time for her system to calm down. The salmon isn't as high in fat but with her having the poops like she is I wouldn't think her body is getting much out of her food right now. I will keep everyone updated!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Let us know how it goes :). Hopefully the different protein will work.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

BullyLove143

Jan 9, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Douglas
This happened with my bully and my moms bully the exact same time and It's allergies. I took mine to the vet and everything, ruled out possibilities. I switch his food to grain free earthborn holistic. Projectile diarrhea is gone!

BullyLove143

Jan 9, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Douglas
Also try mixing pumpkin with the kibble! My dog is 1 and has had the shits 75% of his whole life. Trial and error with food nonstop!!!!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
yes feeding a bully can get interesting and having soft stool to diarrhea is common esp with younger bullies. if the salmon does not go well then let me know and ill come up with something for your baby. are you feeding a vitamin through all this as she may not be getting the nutrition he needs just from the bland diet. also have u been adding some pumpkin to her food. have you considered a probiotic to help her digestive tract put good bacteria back in. yes make sure she is drinking alot and getting enough water.

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Ok so here is and update! I know Im not supposed to do this but I called the vet yesterday morning because night before last she wouldnt eat but a nibble of her dinner and then come breakfast she wouldn't eat and with all the food problems I wanted to talk to the vet. We talked about the bland diet and he didnt want me to go back to that he is very against people food so he told me to stick with the salmon and get something lighter on the potato and it needed to be higher fat so I went and got her a new food and switched her cold turkey since she wouldn't eat. I was really worried about it making her sick but thought I would humor my vet and to my surprise her poops slowed down and turned even harder! So now it has been 4 meals on new food and her poops has already slowed down! This is our last try before going raw so I hope it helps. I also talked to vet about raw and of to say the least he is against it but if thats the only thing that works for her and keeps her healthy than I will do that. I will update in a couple days and let you all know if it is still working! Keep your fingers crossed!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.