My New English Bulldog Puppy Please Help!!!

italiankidd94

Apr 3, 2013
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
Hello Everyone,

I just recently adopted an English Bulldog Puppy. He is only 3 months old and I have been taking him to the Vet for his shots. The problem is every time I go to the Vet my bill is up the roof because they are always conning me into buying new medicines and such for him. At my recent Vet visit, the Veterinarian had me buy Health Extension Puppy Vitamins One-A-Day for a Healthier Life, Health Extension Joint Mobility, and Skin & Coat Omega Fatty Acid Supplement for the prevention of Dryness and Itching and Reduces Shedding. They are all given once a day and mixed into his food except for the vitamin, that is given normally as we would take a vitamin. Now I know English Bulldogs tend to suffer from bad hips as they get older, and in some cases, need hip replacements. The Veterinarian told me these medicines will reduce the risk of him having bad hips as he got older. Is this just a way for them to make money, or should I actually be buying him this stuff?? I have a Boxer and I have never had to buy him anything like this EVER. Please Help!!

Thanks,
Nick

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
I have not heard of that and have not had our vet suggest it but that does not mean it is not good. I do know that a lot of people, vets included, will see an English Bulldog and just see dollar signs. What I would do before buying anything else like that would be to do your own research to see how you feel about it. Hopefully someone here will have heard of it and will be able to help you out!

whitebronc

Jan 2, 2013
So Cal
Bulldog(s) Names
Ike
Health Extension Joint Mobility is a Glucosamine its good for Joints. I am not sure at 3 months your puppy needs that, Skin & Coat Omega Fatty Acid Supplement is a fish oil. Look around here you will find what others are doing. Some are using grizzly salmon oil, some are getting fish oil pills and putting in their bully's bowls.

The fish oil is good, I give it to my puppy. best things is feed him good food.
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/content.php?219-Dog-Food-Ratings
thats a link for food ratings.

I had my boxer and my St Bernard on Glucosamine as they got older just to help their joints.

As far as the brand, I dont want to jump to conclusions as why your vet is pushing that brand. Maybe they believe in it. Maybe its what they believe is best for the price... but Read a lot. We all learn something new about our bullies every day.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Wow! It sounds like your vet is trying to make some extra cash by selling all the supplements. It's true that many bullies have issues, but those issues need to be identified first before trying to fix them. You can choose a nice vitamin supplement if you like. Maybe some Salmon Oil or coconut oil and a good food. Keep a few cans of canned 100% pumpkin on hand in case he gets the runs or constipated. Really understand the food he's eating though to make sure it's working for him, that is key.

Congratulations on your new puppy and a life time of fun and kisses and cuddles :)

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
The vet is trying to make money! Puppy vitamins are a must for me but I can bet you will be able to find vitamins a lot cheaper than what he is giving you! You can go to your local wally word and buy human fish oil pills and add it to the food for a lot cheaper as well! I would find a different vet that isn't going to push stuff on you because as time passes health problems will arise and you don't want the vet doing things that don't need to be done just trying to make money! Trust is a big issue with me and if he is being slimy this early that is not going to change.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Sounds to me also like your vet is trying to make some extra $$. Not that it's not good for them to have that stuff, it is imo but just a good supplement and maybe some salmon oil like [MENTION=5580]elearn[/MENTION] mentioned will do. I didn't put my other dogs who have since passed a couple of years ago on anything until the last year. I have to say, the Glucosamine really helped one of my old guys toward the last 3 years of his life though. Would it had made a difference giving it to him the years before, who knows, he lived to be almost 13.

I deleted your other post and moved the post that was in there to here too. :)

hey you have a duplicate post, I responded to you on the other one.
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...0-My-New-English-Bulldog-Puppy-Please-Help!!!

I merged your post in the other thread to here. :)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I agree with the other posters ... your vet seems to be looking for more $$$ I would learn to say NO .... and instead invest in a good bully food with some salmon oil added daily. Then add healthy toppings!! :yes:

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I agree with the others that suggested if you think your dog needs these supplements look into alternative sources for pricing. Even meds for instance can often be bought at reduced cost. For instance if they prescribe an antihistimine you can purchase otc at your preferred drug store cheeper. Same active ingredient but labeled for human use

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online