Anyone have info on Purina Ha??

Kemba12345

Mar 21, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Kemba
Currently, my bullie is getting Purina Ha. It was prescribed to him by our vet because of allergies. Does anyone know anything about this type of food? If you recommend switching foods, what foods would you recommend?

Thanks
DJ

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
This is one of those questions that is almost impossible to answer. EVERY dog is different when it comes to allergies. However, there is a food rating chart here on EBN to guide you along the way http://www.englishbulldognews.com/content.php?219-Dog-Food-Ratings
A lot of work has gone into this and its a good place to start. Some bullies are very food allergic and others, not so much. Whatever you choose, make the change slowly and monitor your bullies intake of other things closely as well. Doesn't do any good to get them the best food and then give them junk for treats.
Generally tho, Purina is not looked on favorably by a lot of people.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Currently, my bullie is getting Purina Ha. It was prescribed to him by our vet because of allergies. Does anyone know anything about this type of food? If you recommend switching foods, what foods would you recommend?

Thanks
DJ

Hmm... Purina Vet Ha is a vegetarian dog food. I have a very strong opinion on meat versus plant. A dog has a natural carnivorous bias - meaning that his body can better process a diet of animals than plants. But, I can give vegetarian diets a pass if it's a part of an elimination diet - that is, if you're using it to determine which animal protein causes an allergic reaction. So, you start with a base vegetarian diet and then add one animal protein at a time to see which one will cause an allergic reaction.

But, even then, Purina Vet Ha has "generic" ingredients. For example - the first ingredient is starch. From where? Potato? Rice? Sidewalk Chalk??? Going down the line of ingredients, there's just too many questionable stuff in it.

So, if his allergies are really bad, my suggestion is to try a home-made elimination diet where you prepare food for your dog from grocery store ingredients so you can eliminate the chemical additives and preservatives in the dog food as a potential allergen. For example, you can start of with rice, chicken, and cottage cheese and work your way to more variety until you find which ingredients work well with your dog. Then you can find a good quality kibble that has those ingredients and try them out.

Or, if this is too much of an undertaking, there are other better quality kibbles with limited ingredients that you can try out as well. For example, Blue Buffalo Basics is better than Purina Vet Ha.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I totally agree with [MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION] and there's nothing in that ingredient list that a dog could actually eat on it's own. It's all artificial. I'm highly allergic to all this artificial.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh wow :whut?:. oh my that has got to be the worst vet diet stuff ive seen. i think hills is even better than that not that you should get that. well first of all what allergy trouble were u having and what were u feeding. its not a bad idea as anantess said to feed people food to rule out other things in the food causing the allergies. ive fed my dogs a plant based food and they looked terrific now their :poo: well not so much so yes unless your dog is allergic to every protein i would certainly like to see some in his diet. there are better limited ingredient diets such as nvi, blue buffalo, pure vita, natural balance though not my fav but better than what your dog is eating. my thing is with bullies find your bullies protein they can eat and work out from there. i would suggest feeding a vitamin so your dog can get what it needs since it prolly is not getting it from his food.

Members online