Help Needed! Should a puppy be on puppy formula dog food?

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
As many of you know I have A EB puppy having problems with gaining weight and the poops, I have her on earthborn grain free and I am wondering if that could be the problem? I was looking into their puppy formula and they have brown rice in it and barley I believe and I was wondering if since she is a puppy she needed those carbs? she has soupy poop not even to soft serve yet and she has no worms or parasites so the only other thing is food. She has been eating three cups of food a day up tell today when I backed off some but my vet says she is underweight so I need something more than what she is getting! Should puppies be on a puppy food? Im not sure if the grain free is a all stages or just for adults im not sure I did write them and waiting for a reply. what do you think [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
How old is she now??

I don't know enough about the Earthborne range to know if it's an all-stages food. I know the the Fromm 4* range is all-stages so you can feed from puppy to senior.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Like Karen (Kazzy220) I'm not certain Earthborne is an all stages food. Jake was switched to An All Stage Food at 11 weeks..(Fromm) and did fine until we realized chicken is his enemy! Lol...so about 8 months ago we switched to Earthborne. If I were you and my pup was having weight gain issues..I would feed the best puppy food I could..maybe she needs it. And remember..increasing the amount can create poo problems. With Jake, I could never increase over a cup at a time! Even 1/4 cup caused mushy :poo:

Let @Davidh ànd @desertskybulldogs advise you on the right puppy food..ànd @cowsmom knows it all! Good Luck..I'm sorry your sweet girl is having trouble..:(

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I am going to ask the vet tomorrow but I think we are going to try puppy food and see how it goes. I want to stay with earthborn if I can because it is a good food that I can buy local without having to order and it supports our local stores. I am so ready for the vet appointment tomorrow!

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Tuscumbia, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
I feed my pup Earthborn puppy vantage and she seemed to not like it much at first, but now she gobbles it up. Her poo was really soft and now is firmed up. It seems to be great for her. She too has always been on the small side for bully pups, at her 9 week apt she weighed only 6 lbs and 5 oz. Shes gonna be petite. But looks very healthy, no ribs showing , nice round puppy belly lol. She goes back on the 4th for her next set of shots. I cant wait to see what she weighs now. I fed tyson fromm puppy and oh my, they love that stuff, but I too rather be able to get a local food. I say try the earthborn puppy. :)

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I feed my pup Earthborn puppy vantage and she seemed to not like it much at first, but now she gobbles it up. Her poo was really soft and now is firmed up. It seems to be great for her. She too has always been on the small side for bully pups, at her 9 week apt she weighed only 6 lbs and 5 oz. Shes gonna be petite. But looks very healthy, no ribs showing , nice round puppy belly lol. She goes back on the 4th for her next set of shots. I cant wait to see what she weighs now. I fed tyson fromm puppy and oh my, they love that stuff, but I too rather be able to get a local food. I say try the earthborn puppy. :)

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Really? How can you talk about a "nice round puppy belly" and not share a photo! :p There is almost nothing cuter!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We feed our pups FROMM Puppy Gold in the pink bag, and feed the 3 times a day until they are around 6 months of age then we go to 2 times a day.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
All the Grain Free Earthborn options are all stages. Increasing carbs is not a good idea. Dogs can't process carbs as efficiently so yes, the dog will gain weight from carbs but it will be at the expense of overtaxing the digestive system (especially the pancreas). Animal protein is more digestible to dogs and they can gain weight with it.

When looking to have a dog gain weight, first make sure the dog doesn't have parasites or any other medical condition. Then increase his caloric intake (preferably keeping carbs low) and increase the amount of exercise to use the protein to build muscle. Puppy formula is good with this as it has the appropriate calories with balanced calcium/phosphorous content for a balanced growth. All stages low in carbs is good too, just increase the amount of food being fed to increase the calories. Carbs content is usually not listed on the bag. But a good indicator of low carbs kibble is if the food is high protein (high 20's to 30's). And remember when the food is high protein, the protein must come mostly from animal sources, so the ingredients listing must have a type of animal as the first ingredient.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I'm such a TMI kind of gal... sorry.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.