is vet tech right?

nikedunks00

Feb 21, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
chunk
so today i took chunk for his second set of shots and was being helped by a vet tech she had a few questions regarding chunk since it seemed he was bit big for his age and might have worms. a test was done and luckly he didnt have any i guess he is just big boned. she asked what food i was using and i told her it was fromm puppy she then said she never heard of it and looked it up she told me it had to much chicken and bulldogs are usually allergic to that and she told me i should feed him totw lamb and potato since it was better. she said no beef or chicken since its bad for bulldogs. when i got home i did my research and it seems alot of members use fromm beef frittata and well main ingredient is beef. so my question is is she right? should i switch to totw. under the food reviews it doesnt have that many stars. also i couldnt find a lamb and potato from fromm under petflow. so my question is how well is the beef fritta i was also looking at the salmon and potato any feedback would be apreaciated.

Last edited:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
You'll need to base your choice of food based on how Chunk reacts to it. Many bullies are allergic to chicken, but not all. And if he isn't yeasty and having other allergy signs like a strong smell just days after a bath or skin issues or watery eyes/nose or :poo: issues then he is tolerating it well and you can stick with it.

We feed HRH Beef Frittata and so far it is the food that we have found she has the least problems with. Although we do still see some yeast now and then. But she is sensitive to both chicken and salmon and it has neither.
The problem I see with the vet tech's advice is that she is telling you something likely based on hearsay more than experience. At least that is how I read it. She admitted she knew nothing about Fromm, so she had no real basis to discount it.

Oh and from what we have read many bullies are very intolerant of potato. It increases yeast issues.
Sweet potatoes aren't usually a problem. But I'll bet somewhere there is a bully who is allergic to those too.

So you just keep what your doing and research and find what works best for Chunk. :)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
You will find that everyone has an opinion about food. The fact that she has NEVER heard of Fromm..disqualifies her..in my opinion, to be judging food. If you don't know anything about it, you find out the facts first. And I don't even feed Fromm. We used to, but Jake is one of those Bully's that are allergic to chicken..and salmon..so we were too limited. But he did the best on the Beef Fritatta. Is Chunk doing ok on the food? I'm of the mind..if it ain't broke...don't fix it.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I feed all of my pups Fromm Puppy formula.

Yes, it does have chicken in it, as well as other different protein sources.

Usually protien sensitivities do not show up until your bully is much older. I give my pups AND my moms Fromm Puppy (while they are pregnant and nursing). I only have one bulldog out of my eight bulldogs that cannot tolerate chicken in kibble, but I actually believe it is the CHICKEN FAT, not the chicken itself. I give him home cooked chicken all the time with no issues.

Once your bully becomes adult you will possibly have to avoid chicken.

If you bulldog is doing well on the food, don't change, if it isn't broke don't fix it. :up:

OP
N

nikedunks00

Feb 21, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
chunk
how do i tell if he is allergic to the food he has a bit of tear stain but thats only thing i can physically notice.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
so today i took chunk for his second set of shots and was being helped by a vet tech she had a few questions regarding chunk since it seemed he was bit big for his age and might have worms. a test was done and luckly he didnt have any i guess he is just big boned. she asked what food i was using and i told her it was fromm puppy she then said she never heard of it and looked it up she told me it had to much chicken and bulldogs are usually allergic to that and she told me i should feed him totw lamb and potato since it was better. she said no beef or chicken since its bad for bulldogs. when i got home i did my research and it seems alot of members use fromm beef frittata and well main ingredient is beef. so my question is is she right? should i switch to totw. under the food reviews it doesnt have that many stars. also i couldnt find a lamb and potato from fromm under petflow. so my question is how well is the beef fritta i was also looking at the salmon and potato any feedback would be apreaciated.
At the risk of alienating or insulting any vet techs on this forum, I want to say that this person, while they have some knowledge of dogs, is NOT a vet and has very limited education in veterinary science or nutrition. You are feeding an excellent food and your dog is having no problems with it. You know the old saying about opinions? :D Do what you think is best for YOUR dog.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I would say stick with Fromm tell a problem happens and if it never happens then you know its the food for your bully.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You'll need to base your choice of food based on how Chunk reacts to it. Many bullies are allergic to chicken, but not all. And if he isn't yeasty and having other allergy signs like a strong smell just days after a bath or skin issues or watery eyes/nose or :poo: issues then he is tolerating it well and you can stick with it.

We feed HRH Beef Frittata and so far it is the food that we have found she has the least problems with. Although we do still see some yeast now and then. But she is sensitive to both chicken and salmon and it has neither.
The problem I see with the vet tech's advice is that she is telling you something likely based on hearsay more than experience. At least that is how I read it. She admitted she knew nothing about Fromm, so she had no real basis to discount it.

Oh and from what we have read many bullies are very intolerant of potato. It increases yeast issues.
Sweet potatoes aren't usually a problem. But I'll bet somewhere there is a bully who is allergic to those too.

So you just keep what your doing and research and find what works best for Chunk. :)

I could not agree more with Lari's post :2thumbs:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.