General Question Weird eating habit: late night dinner...anyone else with a pup that does this?

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
For some reason Raven is not eating her food when we put it down around 5 pm. Before, the minute I put it down she was all over it. Now I find that she leaves it alone and seems to only be interested in eating it at 3 am, yes you read that right...3 am, when she gets up to go potty. Anyone else have a dog that seems to like late night dinners?

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Yup...I'll fill their bowls for supper around 6pm and they won't eat it until around 9pm when they go to bed.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yup...I'll fill their bowls for supper around 6pm and they won't eat it until around 9pm when they go to bed.

At least it's 9 pm. She is getting up at 3 am to go pee and seems to feel peckish then. Wish it were 9 pm. Hubby was saying maybe she doesn't like the food, problem is that I can't really swap the flavor since she doesn't do well with chicken. So that leaves a lot of foods off of the table seeing as they may have chicken in some way in there. She is eating Merricks B4 grain, Pork flavor. She loved it before, maybe she is bored, or probably annoyed I didn't put any frozen veggies in for her.

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
[MENTION=4054]Bizzymammabee[/MENTION] I feed Earthborn Meadowfeast which is just lamb, no chicken at all, you could try that. There are other Earthborn formulas that don't have chicken and Fromm I believe does too. You could always try topping the food with something like yogurt. I think others use cottage cheese also. If I really need mine to eat at a certain time I scramble some eggs and put them on top of their food.....Mine cannot resist eggs. But i'm not sure if the eggs would have the same reaction as chicken with yours. If I don't have time to make scramble eggs, I'll just throw a little shredded cheese on top...that usually at least get them in the eating mode and they finish their bowls.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=322]LillyNBruin[/MENTION] She is a spoiled brat. I do try to give her some plain yogurt, some cottage cheese or frozen veggies. Might be the reason she is not eating it since it's not special food.

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
[MENTION=4054]Bizzymammabee[/MENTION] That very well could be it. She's probably takes one look and sniff and says 'what the heck, she forgot the rest, I'll just wait till she puts it on' then 3am rolls around and she just gets tired of waiting for you...how dare you mom :nonono: :D

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@LilyNBruin you are probably spot on. She is probably cussing me in her head saying this heffa forgot my dinner and just put these rocks in my bowl. She is probably getting rather spoiled and full because I tend to give her bits of stuff like veggies when I am prepping dinner for the rest of the family.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Does not hurt to add some veggies to her kibble each nigh.... Banks gets greens beens and/or carrots with a little bit of water all mixed in

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@2BullyMamma she normally does. I just realized I the last couple days I have been putting it in a dish by itself so she is eating that and kind of skipping the kibble. Back to the normal mix tonight.

giuseppe

Feb 18, 2013
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo and Enzo - Giuseppe 7/11/01 - 4/23/12
My guy did this his whole life! He was more of a 10p eater, if he ate his kibble at all. He ate healthier than us whether he finished his dry food or not though. He'd get a trimmed steak, veggies, a little yogurt...we got his leftovers. haha :)

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
AH, no! My doggies eat when served or they miss the meal! I do not allow them to graze and I crate them at night so we don't have any midnight snackers. :)

I think you have some good suggestions here to tantalize your bully into eating when he's served - I use the warm water method and it not only makes the food smell good but also gives me some stools that aren't as firm, which had been a problem for us.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Looks like I was being too indulgent of a mama and she was being a spoiled brat. I stopped giving her the little separate bowl of veggies/cottage cheese/yogurt. I went back to putting it on her food and dropping a bit of warm water on the food to make some gravy. She is back to her normal self of hoovering down her meals and wiping her mouth on my pants to show her appreciation for a lovely, healthy meal. Thanks guys!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Looks like I was being too indulgent of a mama and she was being a spoiled brat. I stopped giving her the little separate bowl of veggies/cottage cheese/yogurt. I went back to putting it on her food and dropping a bit of warm water on the food to make some gravy. She is back to her normal self of hoovering down her meals and wiping her mouth on my pants to show her appreciation for a lovely, healthy meal. Thanks guys!

Great work! It's hard not to spoil them, isn't it?! :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online