General Question homemade dog recipes

michelle23093

Mar 17, 2013
virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gretchen
Everytime I find a dog food I think is good, they have a recall. I have some homemade dog food recipes I want to try- lean proteins and vegetables. I was wondering if it was safe to feed my dog 2 cups of kibble and 2 cups of veggie mix a day versus 4 cups of kibble. I researched all the bad foods for dogs and I know what are safe and good for them. I don't want to under feed my bullie but I want to definately cut back on the dog food consumption. I was feeding my beagle purina beneful and he started havinf digestive problems and throwing up and pooping blood. after stopping the food and feeding a bland diet for a week. he was much better. no issues since stopping the dog food. I am just concerned that dog food these days lead to alof of the unessesary health problems.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well first off welcome to ebn and second well purina beneful is not a good dog food. we have a dog food rating section you can check out. in fact nothing you buy at the grocery store or walmart is good food. also how old is your bully. 4 cups of food sounds like an awful lot of food. i dont think even a pup gets that much food. if you have pup perhaps 2 cups kibble and one cup veggie mix to start then cut back the kibble and add in more veggie mix till its all veggie mix and if you have an adult perhaps one cup dog food and one cup of veggie mix. the best test is the dog. if they lose weight feed more if they gain weight feed less. we have a homecooking section here you may want to check out for recipes and advice on your home cooking journey. good for you for helping your pup. i do agree alot of dog food is not very good but some are better than others. lots here feed fromm and i feed acana and orijen and freeze dried food. if i can be of any more help please let me know. [MENTION=8403]michelle23093[/MENTION]

OP
michelle23093

michelle23093

Mar 17, 2013
virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gretchen
thanks- I got the 4 cups off the internet on some websites about bull dogs. I was giving her one cup of kibble mixed with one cup of veggies- 2 times a day. She is a 3 year old female. she weighs 50.6 lbs. I have been feeding Purine one smartblend chicken and rice formula. I wanted to feed less dry food so thats why I incorporate the mixed veggies mix. she loves it. So am I feeding her too much a day?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.