Help Needed! Am I doing something wrong with her food?

xsubsailor

Jan 24, 2013
West Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pickle
Little background, Pickle is 15 weeks old and I got her when she was 10 weeks old. I was given some puppy food but was told to switch her off within 10 days period. I did that with the Fromm Four Star Game bird but she didnt take to well to that so I started the four star beef Frittata, she loves it and I think she is doing well. I also add a teaspoon of pumpkin and a teaspoon of diluted ACV in her breakfast.

Up to this point her stool isn't hard but a good moist solid state but she can get soft stool, like melted ice cream, very easily. I give her 3 servings at 3/4 of cup day (sometimes a little more) - if she gets to much her stool gets soft. Her appitite is fine and she has eaten today but she seems a little listless. This morning she got sick and there was a bunch of grass in it and her stool is soft again. I noticed that she loves to eats grass, sticks, anything in the back yard that is not held down and I try to keep her from doing so but she does get some things. She did have her play date last night but didn't seem overly playful but she did play. Could be a little belly bug?

I went to a Pet expo this weekend (left Pickle home) and Innova was giving free samples away so I went to get some but, when asked, I told them I had a puppy. The woman yelled at me and said that puppies need to be on puppy food and would not give me any samples because they were for adult dogs.

So now I am thinking that I am doing Miss Pickle wrong by feeding her the "all stages" four star beef Frittata. Should she be on puppy food? Am I missing something? Sorry I got wordy just concerned.

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
I am no expert at all, but I seem to recall the all stages foods are ok for puppies. My two were on puppy food until they were 10 months old, and then I switched them to adult.

i will tag some folks who know way more about this... [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION], [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
fromm beef fritatta is all stages food n can be used with your puppy at her age. having said that some here say to feed puppy food till 6 months. ive not had a puppy but i seem to recall puppies can get soft stool very easily. try some canned pumpkin not pie filling but real canned pumpkin and it should firm the stool up. if it continues then you may have to look at the food as maybe not agreeing with your dog. @Davidh @Sherry ill tag a few more peeps who are more versed in puppies.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sounds like she might just have a little upset tummy from eating stuff outside. The food you have her on is a good food and as [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] it is an all stage food, so giving it to your pup is fine. The amount you are feeding is fine too. As she gets a little older you can add more. When she is about 6 or 7 months old you can switch her to twice a day, but give her the same amount, just spit into two.

OP
xsubsailor

xsubsailor

Jan 24, 2013
West Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pickle
Sounds like she might just have a little upset tummy from eating stuff outside. The food you have her on is a good food and as @cowsmom it is an all stage food, so giving it to your pup is fine. The amount you are feeding is fine too. As she gets a little older you can add more. When she is about 6 or 7 months old you can switch her to twice a day, but give her the same amount, just spit into two.

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. The Innova woman got to me because this is the first pup I had in many years and made me think I was being a bad Daddy.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Jake was on An All Stage Food since he was 11 weeks old..the amount you are feeding is fine..but some dogs get soft poo from just a tad too much..I could never get Jake past more than 1 cup..he gets soft :poo: from even 1/4 cup more. Maybe try shaving 1/4 off the feeding for a few days..each feeding. if you see a difference, she might be super sensitive like my Jake..if no difference, then you can just go back to regular amount.

OP
xsubsailor

xsubsailor

Jan 24, 2013
West Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pickle
Jake was on An All Stage Food since he was 11 weeks old..the amount you are feeding is fine..but some dogs get soft poo from just a tad too much..I could never get Jake past more than 1 cup..he gets soft :poo: from even 1/4 cup more. Maybe try shaving 1/4 off the feeding for a few days..each feeding. if you see a difference, she might be super sensitive like my Jake..if no difference, then you can just go back to regular amount.

I will give it a try!

@cowsmom, I do use the canned pumpkin for her breakfast but I'm going to put some in her dinner and hopefully that will help her belly tonight.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
be careful how much pumpkin you use, it is fiber, and can have the reverse effects if given too much. 1 tablespoon a day is all that is necessary to control loose stools

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
Buster came with soft stools probably from the stress of a coming to his new home at 8 weeks, and I have been using about a tablespoon of pumpkin maybe a tiny bit more with his all stages kibble for several days and his poops are nice and firm now. I only give 1/2 cup of his TLC whole food three times per day but feed little bits of kibble and bits of poached salmon as rewards for doing his potty outside. When it is -20 C any pup who does his potty outside deserves a reward. Bless his little bully heart.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.