Help Needed! Diarrhea!

kimberlyb715

Mar 5, 2013
Johnson City, TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
Over the past few months (beginning in mid-December) Stella has had a lot of GI problems, the main one being diarrhea. I have taken her to the vet because of this twice, the most recent time was the first week in February. Each time they have checked for parasites, done blood work and taken x-rays to find nothing! While I am very happy that she seems to be overall healthy, I am concerned about how often she is having diarrhea. After her most recent bout of diarrhea last month, I decided to switch her food from Iams, what I now know was very poor-quality food, to Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Chicken. I started to transition her onto this food after she had been on the bland diet for diarrhea with no known cause. I took a full week switching her over to it and had added in some pumpkin to help ease things along. After she had been on the new food completely for 3 days I decided to stop the pumpkin. Within the next two days her poops went from normal and formed to very soft, so I added the pumpkin back in and things had been going well until last night when she had two episodes of diarrhea and she has had two more today. So we are back on the bland diet which seems to have slowed down her bowls. Since she is still very active and playful, has a good appetite and is drinking normally and the bland diet has seemed to have helped I am not planning on taking her back to the vet for now. I am just wondering if anyone has some suggestions about what could be causing this? I am thinking about trying home-cooked food for a little while and seeing how she does with that and/or switching her over to a Fromm's variety of food after her stomach settles this time around. I thought it could be a chicken allergy, although she has always eaten kibble with chicken included in it and up until December there were no problems. Also, she gets a multivitamin and a probiotics tablet daily. Any thoughts about this would be greatly appreciated! I feel so bad for my baby's belly!

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
I would agree with you trying a Fromm Four Star variety, particularly grain free just in case grains upset her tummy too. She could have an allergy to the ingredients, maybe the chicken allergy developed late or its something other than the chicken. It seems a lot of bullies are allergic to it. Aubie does best on anything grain-free and fishy; she eats Fromm Salmon Tunalini mostly, but sometimes we switch it up to a different grain free flavor. We've even tried different brands that are grain free and non-chicken, but Fromm is the only sure thing for her belly.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Oh man! I agree with the bland diet again..I just hate food jumping for her and you! I would stay away fom chicken completely..and some Bully's (like my Jake) don't do well with salmon. I would probably try the beef..but it does have pork in it..her system needs a rest before you try anything..and go slow again with the transition, most importantly..make sure she is getting enough liquids. Good luck..I so hope this is the answer..

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would also stop the multivitamin and a probiotics tablets to see if that is what's causing the problem.

OP
kimberlyb715

kimberlyb715

Mar 5, 2013
Johnson City, TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
Thanks for the feedback! She seems to be doing much better this week. I transitioned her from the bland diet to a home-cooked recipe I found posted on here from several months back by [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] that included ground beef, beans, frozen veggies, and some rice/pasta over the weekend. She LOVES it, and it seems to agree with her tummy so I love it too! I am still adding in a little pumpkin with every meal, but I am hoping to taper that down over the rest of the week and see how Stella does without it. I think I am going to try and keep up this home-cooking for a while and maybe add in a Fromm kibble of the beef variety in a few weeks. Thanks again, this is a very helpful site!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=8308]kimberlyb715[/MENTION] i was wondering how your bully is doing now.

OP
kimberlyb715

kimberlyb715

Mar 5, 2013
Johnson City, TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] Stella is doing very well now! I'm still home cooking her meals using ground beef. I feel a little crazy about how excited I get over how nicely formed her poops are- but it is pretty awesome! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363566529.461434.jpg

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] Stella is doing very well now! I'm still home cooking her meals using ground beef. I feel a little crazy about how excited I get over how nicely formed her poops are- but it is pretty awesome! View attachment 39431

That's wicked fabulous!!! Glad it is working for you. Are you going to start adding a supplement soon? We recommend Nuvet or Hardypet, at least one every other day if home cooking.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
kimberlyb715

kimberlyb715

Mar 5, 2013
Johnson City, TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] Stella is on NuVet everyday. The breeder I got her from swore by it and has all of her bullies on it from conception! Stella knows that after she suffers through letting me wipe her wrinkles every evening, she will get her yummy NuVet vitamin! (I think that is the only reason she behaves long enough for me to clean her wrinkles haha!)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.