General Question Switched my 2 EBs over to Fromm from Wellness

giuseppe

Feb 18, 2013
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo and Enzo - Giuseppe 7/11/01 - 4/23/12
I have two English Bulldogs that are brothers at 7 months old. Apollo is a little more sensitive than Enzo and was smelling a little "yeasty" and getting tear stains. From what I read on this board it could be the grain in his food, so I started and completed the switch from Wellness Super5Mix for Puppy to Fromm Grain Free Surf and Turf. So far so good but I am confused on the amount I should be feeding them this "all stage" food. I was giving them 1 cup per meal 3 times a day for a total of 3 cups per day per pooch of Wellness. I am giving them the same amount of Fromm. They do #2 2-3 times per a day and it has been all around better for Apollo in that department (Wellness was coming out nearly the same as it was going in). Enzo is a tank and seems to be unaffected by the change except he was only going twice a day and is now going 3 times on occasion. I guess what I am asking is, am I feeding them too much? How does everybody here like the Fromm Grain Free? (I'm ordering Beef Frittata next)

Like I said, Apollo is pretty sensitive. He gets loose stools for the first few days whenever I try out a new treat (trying Blue Buffalo Grain Free Turkey Biscuits). He also has a little area on his chin that gets red and bumpy and scabs over. I thought it was because he plays a little rough with his brother at times but I am reading here it's pretty common and called chin acne? I am putting an ointment the vet gave me and keeping their bowls clean and it seems to be helping a little. OK, I am putting too much in one post. :-) I'll slow down.

Apollo and Enzo getting into a little trouble (Apollo is the one stuck in the sofa):
IMG_20130204_115835.jpg

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
One word of caution..the Surf n Turf does have chicken in it. Lots of Bully's are sensitive to chicken. If you start noticing any problems, and they've NOT had chicken before...that would be my first thought.

As far as amount, Jake was on an All Stage Food from 11 weeks on. At 6 months we went from 3 to 2 feedings a day..of one cup each feeding.

Maybe [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]...and [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] can help you.

OP
giuseppe

giuseppe

Feb 18, 2013
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
One word of caution..the Surf n Turf does have chicken in it. Lots of Bully's are sensitive to chicken. If you start noticing any problems, and they've NOT had chicken before...that would be my first thought.

As far as amount, Jake was on an All Stage Food from 11 weeks on. At 6 months we went from 3 to 2 feedings a day..of one cup each feeding.

Wellness' main ingredient was chicken too. The only thing I have noticed since the change is their coat has gotten a little "rough" if that makes any sense. It kind of feels like I am petting a junkyard dog when I pet them since the switch. Kind of oily I guess? I kind of attributed it to the fact they haven't had a bath in a little while but my other bully, who passed in April of last year at almost 11 years old (his name was Giuseppe), never felt that way. He was always as soft as a bunny. :)
I will begin the change to 2 meals a day after we get back from our yearly trip out of town. I didn't want my cousin, who is dog sitting for us, to have to deal with them looking for their mid-day meal and I figured changing their food and schedule at the same time might be a little too much all at once.

Thank you!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Wellness' main ingredient was chicken too. The only thing I have noticed since the change is their coat has gotten a little "rough" if that makes any sense. It kind of feels like I am petting a junkyard dog when I pet them since the switch. Kind of oily I guess? I kind of attributed it to the fact they haven't had a bath in a little while but my other bully, who passed in April of last year at almost 11 years old (his name was Giuseppe), never felt that way. He was always as soft as a bunny. :)
I will begin the change to 2 meals a day after we get back from our yearly trip out of town. I didn't want my cousin, who is dog sitting for us, to have to deal with them looking for their mid-day meal and I figured changing their food and schedule at the same time might be a little too much all at once.

Thank you!

Ok! Then the chicken shouldn't bother them. I did notice a coat difference when Jake was on Fromm too. Like a stiff paintbrush? Lots of people use supplements for that. Jake can't have salmon either so his coat is what it is! Lol! It could be just the switch and things will settle down once they are truly used to it.

Yup! I agree..no way would I make a poor innocent cousin look into a starving set of Bully eyes! :laugh: Good Luck! I hope they do super on their new food! :)

OP
giuseppe

giuseppe

Feb 18, 2013
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
I am looking forward to the Beef Frittata to see if there is a difference. I am going to get it today so I can start giving it to them before I drop them off on Saturday with my cousin. I don't want her to have to deal with a bad reaction to a new food. I remember the first time she watched our last bully, she called to tell me he had a big white bubble in his eye. He had cherry eye for years and although he had surgery on his right eye, the vet said his left wasn't as bad and should be massaged back in when it popped out (about once a week or so). I told her about it but she was freaked when she saw it for the first time. She called her brother-in-law who is a fireman paramedic to come over and help her and he refused to do it. lol She said she cried while she massaged it back in. She was a trooper after that but I don't want to traumatize her again if I can help it. :)

OP
giuseppe

giuseppe

Feb 18, 2013
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Finally, 3 posts. :) Thanks [MENTION=6047]jimmyjj[/MENTION] and @Ashleym !! They are a handful and a half for sure. Apollo thinks he's a cat and runs along the back of the sofa like a maniac. They are truly bullheaded and trying to train 2 at the same time is a challenge to say the least.

Last edited:

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
LOL sounds like it makes for interesting days :D I bet its entertaining to watch you will need to video tape that and post it.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would feed them a cup to 1 1/2 cup twice a day of the FROMM and see how it goes. Once they get older and start gaining too much weight, you can back down on the amount.

OP
giuseppe

giuseppe

Feb 18, 2013
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
OK, I will do that starting in about a week or so when we get back. Thank you!!

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Aww what cuties :) I'm not sure about the quantity, I got a little tubby one who is on a diet lol but ill tell u she is super picky about her food n will go days without eating if she doesn't like it........that being said she absolutely LOVES Fromm beef frittata I give her her dinner n she bolts to the bowl :D I think ur babies will love all the Fromms!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
I absolutely LOVE that photo! Why do they love the back of the couch so much, mine does the same thing. Boy, your cousin is going to have her hands full...lol

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.