General Question Switched my 2 EBs over to Fromm from Wellness

OP
giuseppe

giuseppe

Feb 18, 2013
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo and Enzo - Giuseppe 7/11/01 - 4/23/12
They are insane with the standing on the pillows sometimes. And I can't get mad at them when I'm laughing so hard. My wife can't get mad at them either, so she gets mad at me for laughing. :) Screw it, it's just a couch. (she loves when I say that) [MENTION=5186]porkysmamma[/MENTION] How much are you feeding her? I am so scared that I am giving them too little or too much. I can kind of see they are filling out to the point their ribs are not as defined so I want to cut back but I don't want to change the times per day or amounts while we are planning on leaving them for a week. Then again, I could just tell my cousin we only feed them 1 cup twice a day and let her deal with it. :D

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
They are insane with the standing on the pillows sometimes. And I can't get mad at them when I'm laughing so hard. My wife can't get mad at them either, so she gets mad at me for laughing. :) Screw it, it's just a couch. (she loves when I say that) [MENTION=5186]porkysmamma[/MENTION] How much are you feeding her? I am so scared that I am giving them too little or too much. I can kind of see they are filling out to the point their ribs are not as defined so I want to cut back but I don't want to change the times per day or amounts while we are planning on leaving them for a week. Then again, I could just tell my cousin we only feed them 1 cup twice a day and let her deal with it. :D

She gets 3/4 cup in the morning and 3/4 at night but for a normal weight healthy bully I think that's too little she's 1 year and weighs 60 lbs lol she's fat so she's on a diet!!!! Most people feed I thinkkkkk n again I'm not sure either like u said two cups a day or I've even read posts that ppl feed 1 1/2 cups per feeding twice a day so it really all depends on ur bulldog n their weight n health :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
Hi,

We did the exact change over for Bongo and Louie from wellness to Fromm. With Bongo i know on the bag it recommends 2-3 times the portions for puppies in the first year. Bongo was on 1 3/4 2 x a day from 6 months until 1 year now he's at 1 1/2 cups twice a day 7:30am & 5pm . Prior to 6 months we did feed him 3 times a day because when there young i think it easier for them to digest smaller meals.
We stayed away from surf and turf they mainly eat salmon tunalini which the love and it has plenty of fish oils for their coat, we also switch to beef fritata which there eating now and they've also had the game bird one which is good. We also buy Fromm can food and they get a heaping tablespoon on there kibbles with every meal.
There stools are solid much better on fromm and the older he got the less he pooped so now at 15 months old he poops 1-2 times a day. Also tear stains were gone instantly when we switched. Here is a picture from last week.
bongo louie.jpgbongo t.jpg

OP
giuseppe

giuseppe

Feb 18, 2013
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
So much good info. Thanks everybody! After reading through this whole thread again I think even though I have a third of a bag of the Surf and Turf left I am going to stick with the Fritatta. I started trying it out so that they wouldn't be making a food change while my cousin was watching them. I re-read what @JAKEISGREAT posted and I think that Apollo's chin acne is probably from a chicken reaction now. It's been only one full day with the fritatta and it's already starting to clear up. Unbelievable. I'm a happy camper.

What is the benefit at this point to switching to twice a day feeding?

@Fbjdd - I noticed the same thing with these guys, even with the surf and turf, the tear stains ceased and disappeared almost overnight. You were giving a total of 3 1/2 cups a day up to 1 year and switched to 3 cups since? See, that's more than everybody else is recommending but Bongo looks great, not overweight at all. I guess for the amounts I need to just watch their weight and make adjustments on the fly. They are very active, with beating the hell out of each other (playing) for 4 hours a day every day. Louie and Bongo are awesome in that picture!

OP
giuseppe

giuseppe

Feb 18, 2013
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
You know what else just popped in my head... Apollo would lay on the couch (yes, the couch is theirs now) and whine, especially after eating. He would get all fidgety and just move around constantly like he couldn't get comfortable. Sometimes well into the night. I just figured he was a little hyper and looking for attention. I was looking at the boys just now and he isn't doing any of that. He is sleeping like a little baby. He slept like that last night too. I wonder if his stomach was bothering him from the chicken? If it was screwing up his chin I can't imagine it was doing too well in his belly.

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
You know what else just popped in my head... Apollo would lay on the couch (yes, the couch is theirs now) and whine, especially after eating. He would get all fidgety and just move around constantly like he couldn't get comfortable. Sometimes well into the night. I just figured he was a little hyper and looking for attention. I was looking at the boys just now and he isn't doing any of that. He is sleeping like a little baby. He slept like that last night too. I wonder if his stomach was bothering him from the chicken? If it was screwing up his chin I can't imagine it was doing too well in his belly.

Very possible n u should know by now that the furniture is theirs not urs lol they just give u permission to sit on it :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
Bongo is 14 months and ya 1.5 cups plus a big tablespoon of wet food twice a day. His energy is great definitely helps to have two of them wrestling and running around all day it keeps Bongo slim. He's 57lbs and standard for males is 55-60lbs. He's still probably going o put on some more thickness in his head and shoulders I probably won't neuter him until 2 yrs. I think just keep them active and weigh them once a month that's all I do seems to work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
thanks,
Frank, Bongo & Louie

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
im glad your baby is doing better. so how is it going now? i hope still good. i had a boston do that fidget thing after some venison and i looked and his underside was broke out and 2 and 1/2 benadryl later he was sleeping. could have been and allergy to the food if the chin was broke out to.

OP
giuseppe

giuseppe

Feb 18, 2013
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] We were out of town for a little while and my cousin was sitting for us. When I brought them over Apollo was just about over his chin acne, just from keeping his chin clean and making sure his bowls were constantly cleaned seemed to do the trick. My cousin called me while we were away to tell me his chin was red again and she had been doing everything I asked as far as keeping everything clean and dry. She found a little blood on his blanket too from his chin getting so raw. We picked him and Enzo up a couple days ago and every since I have been cleaning it with Stridex pads and applying antibiotic ointment. It seemed to be helping then this morning it got really bad. Apollo and Enzo were running around tackling each other and playing keep away with a stuffed toy. The toy was saturated with saliva by the time I took it away. I don't know why I didn't take it away before. I took away all their porous toys to be safe. About an hour after this outbreak, after cleaning and applying ointment, it looks a little better already. Now he has little hives on his hind end, legs and lower back. I don't know what the hell is going on. I gave him a benadryl and made a vet appt for tomorrow. Only thing is I have never had luck with a vet trying to resolve these types of issues. I know he will give antibiotics and possibly steroids and it will resolve the issue until the next time...and the next time and the next time. I just want to figure out what is causing it and stop it once and for all. I guess an allergy screening? Will that really pinpoint what is causing it? Man, I really can't stand this part of bulldog ownership. I hate to see them suffer even a little bit.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
sounds like allergies to me. id look at the food first then go from there. of course could be environmental but from what your describing id look at the food. can you do a bland diet of like beef n rice for a few days n see if it helps. an allergy test if not fool proof but will give you a better idea of what is causing it. i would have never of knows sarah was allergic to fleas n dust mites n alfalfa n kelp had i not had her tested. you may want to order some duoxo pads they are great for chins n those bumps and whatever may come up with bullies.

OP
giuseppe

giuseppe

Feb 18, 2013
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Sorry for the whine-fest. Vet said he doesn't think it's a food allergy. He checked his ears and told me the telltale sign of a food allergy is reddening of the inside of the ears (good tip if it's correct). Apollo is most likely getting a reaction to something he is playing with, he said. It got real bad yesterday evening, to the point he was bleeding and the acne on his lips were swollen pretty big. He came to me like he was in pain. That's why I got so worked up.
I'm not ruling out dust mites, etc. and I will order the duoxo pads today. I need to also find a shampoo that doesn't give them hives, but this is all for another section of the forum. :) Thank you so much for your help!

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I purchased some Fromm beef frittata almost two weeks ago, I wanted to try a grain free food, and Ace has been on the switch from Canidae ALS to Fromm. It seems as if his coat is softer and he is tolerating the switch well. No loose bowels and regular movements. During this switch the Maltese has also been switching from Purina Pro Plan [the vet recommended to my wife] to the Fromm as well and there is no doubt the tear staining or the lack thereof is better with the maltese than it has been in two years

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
By the way you can have a really good vet, and I think we do, and they may still know relatively little about what constitutes good food

OP
giuseppe

giuseppe

Feb 18, 2013
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
By the way you can have a really good vet, and I think we do, and they may still know relatively little about what constitutes good food

I agree with you 100% there. Our vet is awesome in some respects but nobody is perfect. That's why I like this board so much. I can go to see him informed. I have learned to keep my mouth shut over the years though. If I start telling him what I think it is, he just agrees and treats. He is not into confrontation at all. If I wait for him to explain what is going on I usually learn more. Then I tell him what I've read and that way we both end up getting educated. He is known for being knowledgeable about bulldogs.

Yeah, my boys almost immediately lost their tear stains and their coats are softer and there is no more cheesy/yeast smell emanating from them. I tried the Surf and Turf first and while the tear stains still faded, their coat got thick and almost oily. The beef frittata is good stuff. and they love it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

^^^^^ so true. Vets really are not taught about nutrition (IMO) they just push what they sell at their office

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.