Help Needed! Single protein source

bscarpenter

Mar 2, 2011
Went to a new vet today as Porkchop has a mystery itch. The vet said that it may be an allergy and we should try a change of food. He's eating Fromm Chicken ala Veg. The vet said a high quality food that has a single protein source would be best so we can then try different protein sources to see what works for Porky. She said rabbit, venison, kangaroo, etc would be fine. I cannot seem to find any foods with a single source of protein. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Fish would be my last choice due to the odor.

Brian

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Earthborn Holistic has single protein foods that you can get regular or grain free in. I have Lola and Lucy on the venison kind and they love it. I was on Fromm but I do have to say I like earthborn a lot! There are several people on here that use it as well and have gotten great results!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well..tons of Bully's have problems with chicken so I'm not surprised. Try Fromm's Beef Fritatta..Fromm is excellent and beef is a pretty safe protein. Do a slow switch still..because the Fromm beef is grain free and I think (?) the one he was on isn't.

Jake is on Earthborne Great Plains Feast..it's Bison as the protein.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION]-that is the same kind as Lola and Lucy are on(the orange grain free bag).

OP
B

bscarpenter

Mar 2, 2011
Earthborn Holistic has single protein foods that you can get regular or grain free in. I have Lola and Lucy on the venison kind and they love it. I was on Fromm but I do have to say I like earthborn a lot! There are several people on here that use it as well and have gotten great results!
Thanks for the response & I'm glad Earthborn Holistic works well for your guys, but the ingredients for Earthborn Holistic Great Plains Feast says it has bison meal and lamb meal. Where do you get the venison single protein? I can't seem to find it.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
My female Blossom is allergic to chicken, salmon, grains and corn, so we switched to Fromms Beef Frittata, 5 months ago and she is doing really well on this food.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Did you check the Beef Fritatta? I think it's just beef but its been awhile since I used it.
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] can give you some other choices too!

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Coastal Catch is herring as the only source which you said you didn't want fish, and Meadow feast is only Lamb what did the vet say about lamb?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would certainly recommend at least trying a different version of Fromm before doing a full switch. The beef frittata I think has only beef-- no chicken in it.

If that does not work I would try natures variety limited ingredient diets. There is either lamb or turkey. I wish they would come up with more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Raven is eating MerricksB4 Grain in pork flavor. I tried a couple other high quality foods but they had chicken in them which made her itch. The vet said it is great that a company has made a pork food because that is the one food that won't cause allergies. Good luck finding something that works.

OP
B

bscarpenter

Mar 2, 2011
Coastal Catch is herring as the only source which you said you didn't want fish, and Meadow feast is only Lamb what did the vet say about lamb?
Vet said anything but poultry. She did mention rabbit more than once. I'll look into Fromm beef frittata. I like the brand, and changing to another Fromm is supposed to be easy.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Vet said anything but poultry. She did mention rabbit more than once. I'll look into Fromm beef frittata. I like the brand, and changing to another Fromm is supposed to be easy.

The only problem with rabbit is its usually comes from China. Otherwise it's an excellent choice for allergy issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Fromm beef frittata has both beef & pork.

IMHO...I'd still try the Fromm's beef frittata, you're already on it and usually
bullies do very well on it that are very sensitive to other foods, pork is a low
allergen generally, for them. If your bully still continues itching-try to stay w/it
3-4 wks as it takes that long to clear all the old food out of their system, then
continue onward in your search. Good luck and GOD bless!

- - - Updated - - -

Fromm beef frittata has both beef & pork.

IMHO...I'd still try the Fromm's beef frittata, you're already on it and usually
bullies do very well on it that are very sensitive to other foods, pork is a low
allergen generally, for them. If your bully still continues itching-try to stay w/it
3-4 wks as it takes that long to clear all the old food out of their system, then
continue onward in your search. Good luck and GOD bless!

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
We believe mack to be allergic to all fowl (chicken, turkey, and duck). Currently he is on fromm beef frittata and we have seen a MAJOR improvement in his coat. He is still a little itchy but I think he is still exhausting the many foods we switched him through in a short amount of time. I also believe out its some seasonal allergies too even though it is winter, my allergies have been terrible so I figure he might be the same too

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.