Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 16

Thread: Question?????

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Posts
    20
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hondo
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Question?????

    Greetings,

    i own a 11 month old Victorian bulldog, and I feed him Royal Canin #24. This food, according to package is designed specifically for bulldogs, because it helps with the flatulence issues.

    Unfortunately, he still has a lot of flatulence, in spite of feeding him this food.

    Ive had dogs before, (Not bulldogs) and have never encountered flatulence issues like this.

    I've read that some people here put vinegar in their dogs water bowl. Does this help with flatulence?

    All feedback welcomed.

  2. #2
    The Ultimate Sourmug Sherry's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Denver PA
    Posts
    5,284
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default Re: Question?????

    The gas is coming from the brand you are feeding, Royal Canin isn't a very good food. Have you checked out the food ratings list? http://www.englishbulldognews.com/co...d-Ratings&
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Posts
    20
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hondo
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Question?????

    Hi Sherry, thanks for the reply. No, I didn't know about that, I'll read your link.
    by the way, what do you feed your bulldog, and does he have flatulence?

  4. #4
    The Ultimate Sourmug Sherry's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Denver PA
    Posts
    5,284
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default Re: Question?????

    Quote Originally Posted by Nypanama View Post
    Hi Sherry, thanks for the reply. No, I didn't know about that, I'll read your link.
    by the way, what do you feed your bulldog, and does he have flatulence?

    We don't have flatulence and I have 5 bulldogs. I just finished my second week of raw food that I grind myself. I have fed many different brands of food. Nutrisca was the last brand I fed. it is grain free and potato free. Fromm beef frittata is a popular food. Lots of people use Petflow and I used it for a long time. Free shipping and comes right to your house on a regular schedule
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

  5. #5
    Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Vikinggirl's Avatar
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Burlington, ON Canada
    Posts
    9,642
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)
    2119

    Default Re: Question?????

    Hi, my two came from the breeder on Royal Canin, and had a lot of problems with allergies, rashes, itchiness, red, goopy eyes, and diarrhea. I read the food ratings on this site and found out that a lot of bullies have allergies to chicken, salmon, grains, and corn. The Royal Canin is not considered a very good food, it is only a 2 or a 3 star food, and it contains a lot of corn, fillers and is chicken based. My female Blossom has a lot of allergies, and we switched her to Fromms Beef Frittata when she was 7 months old, both my guys have been on this food for 5 months, and are doing really well on it. There is a forum for dog food ratings on here that rates all the foods, and you can look at the 5 and 6 star ratings to choose a good food for Hondo. You should try and choose foods that don't contain chicken and that are grain free, as these are things that usually cause problems and reactions in Bulldogs. It's sometimes frustrating to find a good dog food that your dog can tolerate, but it's worth it when you do. We also give our dogs supplements like salmon oil in their food, this is good for them as it has Omegas which are good for their joints, skin and fur. You can use salmon oil, cod liver oil or coconut oil for the Omegas, and you can use supplements that people use from a vitamin store or health food store. Most supplements that are good for people are also good for dogs, and if you buy them from a pet food supply store or from your vet, they are way more expensive than in the store. We put a Tbsp in their food once a day, and the apple cider vinegar goes in their drinking water everyday. We put 1 Tbsp in the drinking water once a day, there are a lot of benefits to ACV, such as boosting the immune system, killing bad bacteria in the body, balancing the PH level in the body, helps with bad breath, and is good for inflammation in the body as well. These things are all natural, so are safe to use.

    Here is a list of the 5 and 6 Star ratings, I copied and pasted it for you, I only posted the 5 and 6, if you want to see the other foods 4 star and under you can find them on the dog food ratings forum.

    Dog Food Ratings
    With thousands of dog foods on the market, how do you know which one to choose for your dog?






    Our research on dog foods was done in April of 2010 and we are continuously adding new foods to our list. If you have a food that is NOT on our list, please send a personal message to cowsmom.


    For even more information on dog food, visit our English Bulldog Nutrition Forum to see what food and health tips our members are using. Dog food brands are listed in alphabetical order according by star rating.


    Keep in mind, these gradings are based upon ALL dog breeds. English Bulldogs are more prone to allergies and more sensitive to foods and ingredients such as high levels of protein than other dog breeds. Therefore, this is to be used strictly as a GUIDELINE for you to find a great choice for your bulldog. It will be trial and error unitl you find the perfect food, and a 4 star food may work better for your English Bulldog than a 6 star food.


    Remember to always take time while switching foods. Add more of the new food to the current food you are feeding for a minimum of a week until they have made a complete switch.


    Also note, we are not paid to say any dog food is better than the other! These ratings are based upon several factors. Ingredients, research, label reading, additives, vitamin content, cooking times, wikipedia, other online articles, and most of all member testimonials.


    Click Here to read about understanding dog food labels.




    6 Stars = Best Foods
    1 Star = Yuk.








    Click this bar to view the original image of 604x92px.


    6 Star Dog Foods:
    Artemis- Maximal Dog
    Blue- Wilderness
    Earthborn Holistic- Primative Natural
    Fromm Four Star Foods- All Dry Kibble Formulas
    Fromm Four Star Foods- All Grain Free Kibble Formulas
    Go Natural Fit + Free Grain Free Adult, Puppy, & Senior
    Horizon Legacy- Adult Canine
    Horizon Legacy- Puppy
    Merrick-Grain Free Duck, Pork, Chicken, Buffalo
    Nature's Logic Natural- All Dry Kibble Formulas
    Nature's Variety- All Instinct & Grain Free Forumlas
    Orijen-Adult, Puppy, Regional Red, Six Fish & Senior
    Wellness Core
    Wellness Core Ocean
    Wellness Core Reduced Fat


    Click this bar to view the original image of 510x94px.


    5 Star Dog Foods:
    Acana- Regionals- Grasslands, Pacifica, Prairie Harvest, & Ranchlands
    Acana-Classics- All Formulas
    Acana-Singles- Duck and Bartlett Pear & Lamb & Okanagan Apple
    Artemis Fresh Mix- Adult, Small Breed adult, & Weight Managment
    Artemis Fresh Mix- Med/Large Breed Puppy, Small Breed Puppy
    AvoDerm Natural Chicken Meal & Brown Rice- Adult Dog or Puppy
    AvoDerm Natural Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Adult Dog
    Back To Basics- All formulas
    By Nature BrightLife Canine Food
    Canidae-All Life Stages or Beef & Fish
    Canidae- Grain Free- ALS formula or Salmon Meal formula
    Castor n Pollux Ultramix grain free or grain & poultry free
    Dogswell Nutrisca- All Formulas
    Earthborn Holistic: Great Plains Feast, Coastal Catch, Meadow Feast
    Evanger's Pheasant & Brown Rice
    Fromm Gold Nutritionals- Adult, Large Breed Puppy, Puppy & Senior
    Go Natural Refresh + Renew Chicken
    Go Natural Sensitivity + Shine Salmon
    Go Natural Sensitivity + Shine Duck
    Innova- EVO
    Innova- EVO Red Meat
    Innova- EVO Reduced Fat
    Innova- Adult Dry Dog Food - Red Meat - Large Bites & Small Bites
    Innova- Adult Dry Dog Food - Small Bites & Large Bites
    Innova- Puppy Dry Puppy Food
    Merrick-Classic Recipes- All Formulas
    Nature's Variety Prairie- Beef Meal & Barley
    Nature's Variety Prairie- Chicken Mean & Brown Rice Canine Dry Diet
    Nature's Variety Prairie- Lamb Mean & Oatmeal
    Nature's Variety Prairie- New Zealand Venison Meal & Millet
    Nature's Variety Prairie- Salmon Mean & Brown Rice
    O&M Prime Life Plus
    Pinnacle Peak Protein formula
    Show Bound Naturals Chicken & Brown Rice formula
    Show Bound Naurals Lamb & Brown Rice Formula
    Timberwolf Organics- Black Forest Ham or Dakota Bison Canid formula
    Timberwolf Organices- Nutrient Dense Lamb, Barley and Apples Canid Formula
    Timberwolf Organics- Ocean Blue Canid Formula or Southwest Chicken Canid Formula
    Timberwolf Organics- Wild & Naural Canid Formula or Wilderness Elk Dry Canid Formula
    Wellness- Just For Puppy
    Wellness Super5Mix- Chicken, Lamb, Large Breed Puppy or Small Breed


    Click this bar to view the original image of 406x94px.
    Last edited by Vikinggirl; 03-01-2013 at 09:50 PM.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

  6. #6
    Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Vikinggirl's Avatar
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Burlington, ON Canada
    Posts
    9,642
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)
    2119

    Default Re: Question?????

    I also copied and pasted the forum on the benefits of apple cider vinegar for you. I hope this helps you with your food and supplement choices.









    By Singing The Praises Of Apple Cider Vinegar on Jul 6, 2008 in Dr.Jeannie, Dog Health - Immune System, Dog Breeders Corner, Dog Heart Health, Dog Nutrition, Doggone Home & Garden Stuff


    Apple Cider Vinegar


    Apple cider is known around the world as Mother Nature’s miracle medicine, a powerful weapon in the war against aging and disease that is more effective than many high-priced prescription drugs. When God created this fruit He designed it be a food and a medicine!
    Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is golden liquid concentrated with the healthy goodness of apples. It contains more than 30 important nutrients, 12 minerals, over 6 vitamins, essential acids and several enzymes. Moreover, it has a large dose of pectin for a healthy heart, and thus, healthy as a whole.
    Many vitamins, minerals and other nutrients and substances are available in ACV to improve the health of your dog. ACV can provide them with enzymes and important minerals, such as potassium, calcium, magnesium, sulfur, chlorine,
    phosphorus, iron, silicon and other trace minerals. The vitamins contained in ACV are bioflavonoids (vitamin P), beta-carotene (precursor to vitamin A), vitamin C, E, B1, B2, and B6. Tannins from the crushed cell walls of fresh apples as well as malic acid, tartaric acid, propionic acid, acetic acid and pectin (fiber) are also contained in ACV.
    ACV is cheap, easy to use and it really benefits our health in numerous ways. ACV can benefit both people and their pets. It is antibacterial and anti-fungal and gives the immune system a good boost. As a high potassium electrolyte balancer, it remineralizes the body and helps normalizethe blood’s alkaline acid balance.ACV is the natural king of skin remedies. It is wonderful for itching and scratching pets as well as a superb skin and hair conditioner. Good old apple cider vinegar either straight or diluted 50/50 with water can be applied directly to the affected area and allowed to dry. It will kill bacteria on hot spots, eliminate dandruff, rejuvenate hair, skin and help sweeten and balance the pH levels in the body. When giving your dpg a bath, shampoo, rinse, then apply ACV either straight or diluted, followed by rinsing with water. Notice, any residue shampoo will be washed out and you will feel and see an increased softness and sheen to the coat.
    Apple cider vinegar is a powerful detoxifying and purifying agent. It breaks down fatty, mucous and phlegm deposits within the body. By breaking down these substances it improves the health and function of the vital organs, such as the kidneys, bladder and liver, by preventing excessively alkaline urine. Put a tablespoon of ACV in your dog’s drinking water every day and you will no longer have those brown spots in your lawn from the dog’s urine.


    This powerful potion also promotes digestion, assimilation and elimination, all the while neutralizing any toxic substances that enter the body. Cider vinegar has been found to ..neutralize any harmful bacteria that may be found in certain foods. While dogs and cats do not have to worry too much about the bacteria in raw meat, if YOU are in doubt, you can pour a little Apple Cider Vinegar over thier raw meal.
    Cider vinegar can also be beneficial for symptoms such as tooth decay and splitting of your dog’s toenails, which can be symptoms of potassium deficiency. Potassium is essential for the replacement of worn-out tissues within the body. This mineral is also important to soft tissue repair, as calcium is to the bones and teeth which makes it a wonderful NuVet Plus supplement here" onclick="replacer_hook(12)" target="_blank" href="http://www.nuvet.com/1101106">supplement for senior dogs.
    Tests have proven that when potassium, in the form of cider vinegar is fed to livestock their appearance improves and their stamina increases.
    Cider vinegar is thought to be beneficial in the treatment of arthritis, as a NuVet Plus supplement here" onclick="replacer_hook(12)" target="_blank" href="http://www.nuvet.com/1101106">supplement added to your pet’s daily water supply (or poured over the food) or with compresses soaked in hot vinegar applied directly to the joints. It is also thought to be helpful when used to treat allergies, osteoporosis, cancer, candida, high cholesterol, constipation, muscle cramps, colitis, diabetes, diarrhea, depression, dizziness, ear discharge, eczema, fatigue, kidney stones, kidney and bladder problems, metabolism, and stiff joints.
    The supplementation of ACV has been known to naturally remove red tear stains from the inside out. It is also used by many to prevent fleas when used in a rinse for the dog’s coat.
    Recently, Dr. Louis Ducarre of Geneva, Switzerland, author of the fairly new book,Natural Cures, Natural Life states that when mixed with honey, apple cider becomes potent enough to cure cancer, heart disease and other deadly ailments .
    Natural apple cider vinegar is found in health food stores. It should be a rich amber color with the “mother” quite visible as sentiment on the bottom. The strength of vinegar is important. All varieties of vinegar contain about 4 to 7 percent acetic acid, with 5 percent being the most common amount. Acetic acid is what gives vinegar its tart and sour taste.
    There is nothing beneficial about commercial distilled vinegars except for pickling, cleaning and disinfection —they have no health value!
    Bragg, Paul and Linda, N.D., Ph.D., “Apple Cider Vinegar, Miracle Health System”, Published Health Science, Santa Barbara, California
    Jarvis, D.C, M.D., D.C. “Folk Medicine”, and“Arthritis and Folk Medicine”, Published Fawcett Publications, Inc., Greenwich, Connecticut
    Puotinen, C.J., “The Encyclopedia of Natural Pet Care” Published Keats Publishing, Inc., New Canaan, Connecticut
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Posts
    20
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hondo
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Question?????

    Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    I also copied and pasted the forum on the benefits of apple cider vinegar for you. I hope this helps you with your food and supplement choices.

    By Singing The Praises Of Apple Cider Vinegar on Jul 6, 2008 in Dr.Jeannie, Dog Health - Immune System, Dog Breeders Corner, Dog Heart Health, Dog Nutrition, Doggone Home & Garden Stuff


    Apple Cider Vinegar


    Apple cider is known around the world as Mother Nature’s miracle medicine, a powerful weapon in the war against aging and disease that is more effective than many high-priced prescription drugs. When God created this fruit He designed it be a food and a medicine!
    Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is golden liquid concentrated with the healthy goodness of apples. It contains more than 30 important nutrients, 12 minerals, over 6 vitamins, essential acids and several enzymes. Moreover, it has a large dose of pectin for a healthy heart, and thus, healthy as a whole.
    Many vitamins, minerals and other nutrients and substances are available in ACV to improve the health of your dog. ACV can provide them with enzymes and important minerals, such as potassium, calcium, magnesium, sulfur, chlorine,
    phosphorus, iron, silicon and other trace minerals. The vitamins contained in ACV are bioflavonoids (vitamin P), beta-carotene (precursor to vitamin A), vitamin C, E, B1, B2, and B6. Tannins from the crushed cell walls of fresh apples as well as malic acid, tartaric acid, propionic acid, acetic acid and pectin (fiber) are also contained in ACV.
    ACV is cheap, easy to use and it really benefits our health in numerous ways. ACV can benefit both people and their pets. It is antibacterial and anti-fungal and gives the immune system a good boost. As a high potassium electrolyte balancer, it remineralizes the body and helps normalizethe blood’s alkaline acid balance.ACV is the natural king of skin remedies. It is wonderful for itching and scratching pets as well as a superb skin and hair conditioner. Good old apple cider vinegar either straight or diluted 50/50 with water can be applied directly to the affected area and allowed to dry. It will kill bacteria on hot spots, eliminate dandruff, rejuvenate hair, skin and help sweeten and balance the pH levels in the body. When giving your dpg a bath, shampoo, rinse, then apply ACV either straight or diluted, followed by rinsing with water. Notice, any residue shampoo will be washed out and you will feel and see an increased softness and sheen to the coat.
    Apple cider vinegar is a powerful detoxifying and purifying agent. It breaks down fatty, mucous and phlegm deposits within the body. By breaking down these substances it improves the health and function of the vital organs, such as the kidneys, bladder and liver, by preventing excessively alkaline urine. Put a tablespoon of ACV in your dog’s drinking water every day and you will no longer have those brown spots in your lawn from the dog’s urine.


    This powerful potion also promotes digestion, assimilation and elimination, all the while neutralizing any toxic substances that enter the body. Cider vinegar has been found to ..neutralize any harmful bacteria that may be found in certain foods. While dogs and cats do not have to worry too much about the bacteria in raw meat, if YOU are in doubt, you can pour a little Apple Cider Vinegar over thier raw meal.
    Cider vinegar can also be beneficial for symptoms such as tooth decay and splitting of your dog’s toenails, which can be symptoms of potassium deficiency. Potassium is essential for the replacement of worn-out tissues within the body. This mineral is also important to soft tissue repair, as calcium is to the bones and teeth which makes it a wonderful NuVet Plus supplement here" onclick="replacer_hook(12)" target="_blank" href="http://www.nuvet.com/1101106">supplement for senior dogs.
    Tests have proven that when potassium, in the form of cider vinegar is fed to livestock their appearance improves and their stamina increases.
    Cider vinegar is thought to be beneficial in the treatment of arthritis, as a NuVet Plus supplement here" onclick="replacer_hook(12)" target="_blank" href="http://www.nuvet.com/1101106">supplement added to your pet’s daily water supply (or poured over the food) or with compresses soaked in hot vinegar applied directly to the joints. It is also thought to be helpful when used to treat allergies, osteoporosis, cancer, candida, high cholesterol, constipation, muscle cramps, colitis, diabetes, diarrhea, depression, dizziness, ear discharge, eczema, fatigue, kidney stones, kidney and bladder problems, metabolism, and stiff joints.
    The supplementation of ACV has been known to naturally remove red tear stains from the inside out. It is also used by many to prevent fleas when used in a rinse for the dog’s coat.
    Recently, Dr. Louis Ducarre of Geneva, Switzerland, author of the fairly new book,Natural Cures, Natural Life states that when mixed with honey, apple cider becomes potent enough to cure cancer, heart disease and other deadly ailments .
    Natural apple cider vinegar is found in health food stores. It should be a rich amber color with the “mother” quite visible as sentiment on the bottom. The strength of vinegar is important. All varieties of vinegar contain about 4 to 7 percent acetic acid, with 5 percent being the most common amount. Acetic acid is what gives vinegar its tart and sour taste.
    There is nothing beneficial about commercial distilled vinegars except for pickling, cleaning and disinfection —they have no health value!
    Bragg, Paul and Linda, N.D., Ph.D., “Apple Cider Vinegar, Miracle Health System”, Published Health Science, Santa Barbara, California
    Jarvis, D.C, M.D., D.C. “Folk Medicine”, and“Arthritis and Folk Medicine”, Published Fawcett Publications, Inc., Greenwich, Connecticut
    Puotinen, C.J., “The Encyclopedia of Natural Pet Care” Published Keats Publishing, Inc., New Canaan, Connecticut
    Tremendous amount of information, which is going to be fun to read.

    By the way, thank you all for your inputs. Another question, are you guys saying that your dogs have NO flatulence issues at all?

  8. #8
    Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Vikinggirl's Avatar
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Burlington, ON Canada
    Posts
    9,642
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)
    2119

    Default Re: Question?????

    I'm not saying none at all, but since on Fromms much less, and less poop as well, plus the poop doesn't smell as much anymore either. Don't get me wrong it is so does still smell. Lol. Just not as much. When you feed a high quality food, it is more readily absorbed and digested, so you don't have to feed as much food, and there is less waste, so less smell and less gas.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Posts
    20
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hondo
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Question?????

    Thanks for the reply...)

  10. #10
    Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Texas Carol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    7,203
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)
    2743

    Default Re: Question?????

    By the way, thank you all for your inputs. Another question, are you guys saying that your dogs have NO flatulence issues at all?

    You'll be amazed at how much LESS flatulence Hondo will have just by switching to a GRAIN FREE food
    or by feeding RAW DIET. My bully went from constant, smelly gas to almost none & only very occasionally.
    If he did pass gas, it wouldn't gag you! His goopy eye boogers, his thin, sparse hair filled out and started
    shining, he went off his daily allergy med & yes, he pooped less! Just a much healthier, happier dog.

    @Sherry & @Vikinggirl have given great advice & tips that I use & follow, it all works...good luck w/Hondo.

    It cost more in food price & supplements but will save major money in avoiding Vet bills & Hondo will thrive
    and most likely will live longer & healthier. Welcome to you and post more pics when you can, GOD bless!


    My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

  11. #11
    Newbie
    Posts
    20
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hondo
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Question?????

    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Carol View Post
    By the way, thank you all for your inputs. Another question, are you guys saying that your dogs have NO flatulence issues at all?

    You'll be amazed at how much LESS flatulence Hondo will have just by switching to a GRAIN FREE food
    or by feeding RAW DIET. My bully went from constant, smelly gas to almost none & only very occasionally.
    If he did pass gas, it wouldn't gag you! His goopy eye boogers, his thin, sparse hair filled out and started
    shining, he went off his daily allergy med & yes, he pooped less! Just a much healthier, happier dog.

    @Sherry & @Vikinggirl have given great advice & tips that I use & follow, it all works...good luck w/Hondo.

    It cost more in food price & supplements but will save major money in avoiding Vet bills & Hondo will thrive
    and most likely will live longer & healthier. Welcome to you and post more pics when you can, GOD bless!
    Would you mine telling me what you feed your dog? Thanks in advance.

  12. #12
    Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Texas Carol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    7,203
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)
    2743

    Default Re: Question?????

    Quote Originally Posted by Nypanama View Post
    Would you mine telling me what you feed your dog? Thanks in advance.
    I fed Brutus Avoderm's Grain Free in the Red Meat Meal & Potato, they have different
    flavors (Brutus was allergic to salmon & poultry). A friend of the former owner saw him
    3 months after I adopted and could not believe the difference in his coat, skin & allergies.
    It's at Petsmart and costs around $35 per 36 lb bag (they used to sell larger bags but I
    think they stopped for some reason so I'd buy 2 bags for him (he weighed 60 lbs). It's
    concentrated & I fed him 1 & 1/2 cups-am & 1 & 1/2 cup-pm and mixed w /1/2 cup of
    unsalted green beans w/each feeding (to fill him up as he was a piggy). For healthy treats
    he got soft boiled egg (almost runny for best absorption of nutrients) w/shell on, 2 x week,
    sardines, water packed, 3 to 4 fish-2 x week, a TBSP of plain, unsweetened yogurt, 2 x week.
    Carrots are good, not baby ones (they are clorinated) just cut up whole carrots.

    The Avoderm feed had supplements & probiotics in it so I saved money not having to buy
    separately.

    Make sure you feed AND water him in stainless steel bowls, glass or ceramic...only-no plastic,
    will break out their chin & snout.

    Let us know how he does and post pics of that guy!


    My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •