mc0624

Feb 21, 2013
West Linn, OR
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bitty, Betsy & Buster
Hi

We recently got a 1year old bully. She came with a name but we are still trying to decide if we want to keep it. :)

Anyways, she was being fed Natures Domain Turkey & Sweet Potato from Costco. In my searching of these forums, I didn't see anything on this food so I've been switching her to Orijen for the past week. In the last couple days, I've noticed she gotten a bit more pink in certain areas as well as licking when she didn't lick at all before the switch. So I don't think that is the food for her.

I realize that each dog is different but is there one food that has a better chance of working for her than others? I've read that Fromms is a popular choice - so maybe this one?

Thanks!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What is the protein and is the Orijen grain free? Chicken and grains tend to give our bullies troubles.
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I would think she is having a reaction to something in the food! Brutus used to be pink and lick his paws a lot while he was on Lamb/Rice. We switched to Fromm and he completely stopped within a month or so :) He had horrid gas too which since switching no more gas at all!!! Fromm is a great food if your bully can tolerate it :) I would say switch and see how it goes :) Beef Frittata is a good start its grain fee and chicken free :)

OP
M

mc0624

Feb 21, 2013
West Linn, OR
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bitty, Betsy & Buster
It is grain free but I didn't save the bag. If I remember it was the foul version..so I'm assuming that includes chicken.

I will pick up some Fromm's tomorrow. I found a place online that is nearby that is selling it.

The other thing I realized is that the little "training" treats I've been giving her have grain in them! So I will be picking up some better treats.

We are having to re-train her somewhat with potty time. :)

Thanks!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
It is grain free but I didn't save the bag. If I remember it was the foul version..so I'm assuming that includes chicken.

I will pick up some Fromm's tomorrow. I found a place online that is nearby that is selling it.

The other thing I realized is that the little "training" treats I've been giving her have grain in them! So I will be picking up some better treats.

We are having to re-train her somewhat with potty time. :)

Thanks!

:hiya:
I think the Natures Domain was a 3 or maybe 4 star rated..the salmon one.

Make sure you do a slow transition and maybe start with the Beef Fritatta. Beef is usually a pretty safe protein! Good luck!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
All great advice from everyone. I have a female who is allergic to chicken, salmon, grains and corn, these are the most common allergens or sensitivities for our bullies. I switched food 4 times before going with Fromms Beef Frittata, and both my guys do well on this. Sweet potato is also sometimes a source of allergies. I give my guys cut up apples, bananas, strawberries, cheese strings, plain yogurt, green beans, and hard boiled egg once a week for snacks and treats.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
It is also adviced to give it about 4 weeks to know it the new food is ok for your bully. She can react to chance not to the food itself.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
im so late to this and i see you have ordered the fromm but if you need more help im around. let us know how it goes. :D [MENTION=8217]mc0624[/MENTION]

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
>>The other thing I realized is that the little "training" treats I've been giving her have
grain in them! So I will be picking up some better treats.>>

Save your money & energy, once you find the food that works for her just use it
to train with :2thumbs:

OP
M

mc0624

Feb 21, 2013
West Linn, OR
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bitty, Betsy & Buster
Well, we've been on Fromm's Beef for awhile now....5 weeks, I think. I'm thinking it might not be a good fit though. She is still a tad pink in areas....still a bit gassy too. I purchased the large bag so we'll finish up that before trying another.

Not sure what to try next. I read the food list but its a tad overwhelming - LOL. The Royal Canin for Bullies had lots of good reviews but it was only 3 stars I think.

So what to try ? :)

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
If she did well on Nature's Domain Turkey and Sweet Potato you can continue to feed it. Nature's Domain Grain-free is ok food. It's a tad high on carbs (a tad low on protein) for my choice, but I'm on the high-protein fan club.

Note though that Nature's Domain (Kirtland Signature) is a Diamond product and they've been through some recalls (always bad mark on a dog food company) so pay attention to the recall announcements to determine which lot numbers to avoid. The Turkey formula has not been recalled to my knowledge, but the Salmon and Sweet Potato formula was voluntarily recalled for any bags that has a "Best Before" date of Jan 3, 2013.

If you can find a good quality food with Turkey and Sweet Potato ingredients then it might be worth looking into. Fromm Four-Stars has a Duck and Sweet Potato recipe that might be good to try.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I would try different flavors within the Fromm 4 star grain free line. You don't have to transition them since ingredients r similar. Think there r 6 varieties or so, I would finish searching their line before a having to transition again. ;)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online