Help Needed! New Dog Food switch Help!

andrew657

Feb 28, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Rooney
Hey everyone!

I have a 5.5 month old English Bulldog named Rooney. He's been a fantastic lil dude for me. I went up to Petsmart yesterday to get him some more food since he ran out and I have recently come to find out they are no longer stocking the food he has been doing so well on!

The breeder I got him from was feeding him Science Diet Chicken and Rice Puppy. Since I know they have sensitive stomachs I kept feeding him that and he has had no issues with that. I also put Alaskan Salmon Oil and Glucosamine supplements in his food. He's at about 25 pounds or so right now. Since they were out of his food I bought what I thought was the closest thing which was Science Diet Chicken Puppy for Large Breed animals. However, I am starting to think there is maybe something better out there I can get him. I've read a lot of these posts and the opinion seems to be all over the place. Or if something has a good review such as Fromms etc. I can't seem to find it in any local stores.

Can anyone recommend me a good dog food for Rooney that I can find locally in like a Petsmart or a Petco or something? Would prefer not having to ship food to me every time I want to refill. He is not allergic to anything as far as I know.

EDIT: I saw the Royal Canin stuff at the store as well and it seemed incredibly overpriced and contained a lot of fillers. The petsmart employees told me Blue Buffalo was good but I wasn't sure if that was good for bulldogs. I saw the Wilderness section but was a bit worried at 36% protein being too high for a bulldog causing him to gain a lot of weight etc.

Last edited:
OP
A

andrew657

Feb 28, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Rooney
On his current food he does itch and have tear stains occasionally but nothing serious. His stool is also sometimes soft if that helps. No allergies or anything serious though. He will pretty much eat anything you put in front of him and even some things you don't haha.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I think we should ask [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] to help you. There are plenty of good foods available locally to you. It's just being lucky enough to find the right match for Rooney! Hang on..she will be here here shortly. :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, Fromms is a great food, but if it is mot readily available in your area, and you don't want to order it to your house, Blue Buffalo is also a great food, as long as your guy doesn't have any food sensitivities or allergies, then it should be okay. The only thing is a food change should be done slowly so you don't get tummy or diarrhea problems. There is a forum on here with dog food ratings you can check out. Good luck in finding a food that works for Rooney. It took us 4 food changes before we found one that agreed with both of our guys.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The others have given you great info and on the right path.... just wanted to wish you luck. also, you can check the Fromm website to see if it is available at a local feed store in your area.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
I am on phone now till Saturday but I will check this n find something for you that is better.

sherden24

Nov 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gumbo
We just took our baby off of the Royal Canin. The people we got her from had her on Old Roy and her allergies were horrible. She is much better but still had some allergies. We decided to do the Fromms and she loves it. I just switched her about 2 days ago. I just don't think that the Royal Canin was a fit for her but we were also not sure about the Blue Buffalo. I think that the shape of the Royal Canin's bulldog food was too hard also for her to eat and she seemed hungry a lot.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Welli can't help as far as what petsmart carries but there are many good ones. I know you said you don't want to have it shipped but I have to say that is the best thing ever as far as I am concerned. I love my petflow! Lol now that you r out of your food and kinda stuck you may wanna do a bland diet while transitioning over to the new food to help keep the tummy from getting icky.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Respectfully...many allergies & other health problems can develop very slowly.

A bully I know was seemingly fine until he was 4 y/o then WHAM, he's had problem
after problem for 2 yrs now and has terrible allergies, it's so sad.

When younger, their immune systems & other systems generally work better just
because of youth so, feeding a better grade of food w/supplements, probiotics, etc
prevents a lot of developing problems that surface later AND saves on Vet bills.

Again, respecfully, imho...Science Diet is not a good food.

It's wonderful you are looking for better nutrition.health for your bully.
:clap2:

Lots of good ones out there, if you like Petsmart, might I suggest Avoderm's
Grain Free line, it has different flavors, has supplements & probiotics and it
cured my bully's goopy eyes, thin & balding hair, skin sores, stinky gas and I
was able to stop giving his daily allergy med, he got very healthy and looked
and smelled great!

Also, Tractor Supply carries TOTW, it's a good one & reasonable priced, many
bullies do great on the Pacific Wild Salmon flavor.

Both of the above are grain free, preservative & additive free, all important for
bullies.

Good luck, keep us informed on Rooney's progress, post pics...and Welcome to y'all!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok i prefer petco over petsmart but there are a few choices here. if your dog is 5/5 months old im thinking you can switch over to adult food now. blue wilderness is excellent food and with a young dog the protein should not be a problem. there is blue freedom which is grain free and less protein. wellness core is good food to. im looking at the innova prime food looks really good although i dont like the p&g connection but it seems to be ok regardless but the protein is high like the wilderness.

OP
A

andrew657

Feb 28, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Rooney
ok i prefer petco over petsmart but there are a few choices here. if your dog is 5/5 months old im thinking you can switch over to adult food now. blue wilderness is excellent food and with a young dog the protein should not be a problem. there is blue freedom which is grain free and less protein. wellness core is good food to. im looking at the innova prime food looks really good although i dont like the p&g connection but it seems to be ok regardless but the protein is high like the wilderness.

The only thing I worry about is him going from the 27-28% protein that Science Diet was to the Blue Buffalo Wilderness that is like 36% Protein. Is the higher protein amount good or bad for the dog? I don't want to make him overweight. I did notice on the new Science Diet I switched him over to he has tear stains now and is starting to go poo more often... Need to switch him to a diff food soon.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.