Help Needed! how much food?

nikedunks00

Feb 21, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
chunk
hello i have a 8 week old pup and was wondering how much food would i need to be giving him. i was told by breeder to just leave a bowl of food always available to him since he is growing and needs food. i just think it is time to start putting him in a feeding routine already but not sure how much food i should actually feed him or should i just leave a bowl of food always full and available to him. water is always available just not sure about the food thanks in advanced.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Start out with a 1/2 to 3/4 cup 3 times a day. If his poop gets soft you can decrease just a bit. If his poop is hard then increase a bit. It's a fine line there and that's how we judge how much food to feed. Every pup is a little different. Plus like you said leave water down for him 24/7 as they need plenty of fresh water too. Hope this helps.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Second what Davidh said. Also, if you're feeding kibble, you can look in the bag for the recommended feeding guideline. It is usually based on the expected adult weight of the puppy. Your breeder can tell you what the expected adult weight is.

I wouldn't put food out all day long. He may be only 8 weeks old but this is the perfect time to establish your alpha status. You are his alpha, you control the food bowl. He eats when you say he can eat. That's knowledge that he can gain to make him a well adjusted dog in the long run.

OP
N

nikedunks00

Feb 21, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
chunk
so i have been feeding him 1/2 cup 2 times a day but recently increased it to about 1/3 his poop became a bit soft and flat lke pancakes lol. so was wondering should i go back to the 1/2 cup? his pops were not flat they were curly and soft.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
so i have been feeding him 1/2 cup 2 times a day but recently increased it to about 1/3 his poop became a bit soft and flat lke pancakes lol. so was wondering should i go back to the 1/2 cup? his pops were not flat they were curly and soft.

That's not very much food.... Has he been checked for parasites? It's very common in puppies....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Silastheman

Feb 6, 2013
Fleetwood PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Silas
my 14 week old pup eats 1 cup 3x a day..hes big boned and very hungry..his poo is perfect, not soft or hard..so I am going to stick with this and around 6 months cut it to twice a day

OP
N

nikedunks00

Feb 21, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
chunk
Took him to the vet about 1 week ago and he did have some type of parasite I was provided with medicine for the parasite and diareah have been giving him the medicine and his diarrah got better but today I feed him a bit more than usual to increase his food and that's when he got the pancake poop

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Increase his food slowly and put a spoonful of pure pumpkin puree (not the pumpkin pie filling) in his food once a day it will help firm up his poop. I have a 14 week old pup and I also feed him 1 cup 3X a day. He has been on this amount since I got him at 11 weeks old. He is currently 20 lbs and a chubby happy puppy.

OP
N

nikedunks00

Feb 21, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
chunk
so i will start feeding him 1 1/2 cup two times a day due to work related reasons and will take to vet on Thursday i think it might be because i switched him from royal canine that the breeder was feeding to him fromm puppy. he doesn't have bloody diarrhea or vomit and he seems active just the pancake poops. i was provided diarsanyl and IGY plus k-9 gel from vet. he said it would help with parasite and loose stool. how long does it take for this type of medication to take effect.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.