Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Ok....thoroughly conflicted now :wallbang:

Bruin had missing patches of hair with some scabs, it all went away for no reason at all that I can tell and now it's back. Nothing has changed, except for the season. It was fall turning to winter when his coat cleared up and the dead of winter when it started to get patchy, which makes no sense to me. usually you see problems happening in the fall because of allergies. What the heck could have possibly changed in the winter to make it worse. He can't possibly be allergic to snow! He is a bulldog though....so I guess I shouldn't assume :). So I was thinking some fish oil could help his coat. But if he's already getting the recommended amount then what's the point. I don't know :nope:

Winter= heater on=dry air in house

Yes it will help his coat in winter due to the above :up:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Most supplements that are good for humans are also good and safe for our dogs, and I find they are usually cheaper than the supplements you buy from your vet, or pet food stores, yet they have the same ingredients. I found the same thing with baby wipes, the Petsmart dog wipes are $10.00 for a box, but you can buy Pampers or Huggies sensitive, scentless baby wipes for about $3.00 a box, or even by the case at Costco for much less.

The pet industry knows we're suckers and we'll pay anything for our fur babies :)

Winter= heater on=dry air in house

Yes it will help his coat in winter due to the above :up:

I didn't even think of that! I'm such a dork! Do you think the dry air would cause the white scabby-ness? He has dandruff too, but this doesn't really look like dandruff. I'll have to see if I can get a picture.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It certainly could, especially the dandruff. Heaters dry out the skin :)

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Ok so I did it! I bought Nature Made 1000mg fish oil pills (they're flippin huge by the way). I gave them each one wrapped in mozzarella cheese. Then I gave them a little piece of mozzarella right after and what does Bruin do....puked that up :eek:(the one w/o the pill) so this starts me worrying of course. THEN he starts drooling (which he's really not that bad for drooling, so I start worrying more). He goes and eats his food...more drooling. He seems ok for now, but I'm getting wicked paranoid. I really hope it doesn't upset his stomach. Lilly is perfectly fine....she has a freaking stomach of steal

mom of 5

Jul 26, 2011
Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Gucci & Louie
Maybe trying to puntcure the shell of it, then squeeze the oil on the food. That is what I do for my bullies. Read somewhere that they may be allergic to the casing of the pill, so I didn't try the whole thing.

Corinnalaverne

May 22, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hercules
Our vet told us to puncture the capsules and put the liquid on his food vs giving him the capsules.... at least i don't have to fight with him to eat the darn thing!

Members online

No members online now.