General Question Cutting our Mid day meal

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
At what age should I cut out the noon meal? Bogey is almost 5 months, weighs 29 lbs. Right now he is getting 1 cup kibble in am and dinner, and 1/2-3/4 at the noon meal. He always gets a topper- either egg, cottage cheese, hamburger or yogurt.

So, what age do I go to twice a day feeding and do I take that noon meal amount and split it between the other two meals, or just eliminate it?
Thanks!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
im thinking 6 months is generally when to cut out the midday feeding and the amount you are feeding im thinking that the 1 cup am and 1 cup pm will be fine.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, you can eliminate the midday meal at about 6 or 7 months old, and you can also switch to a adult dog food at this time too. I switched my 2 to twice a day feedings, and to adult food Fromms Beef when they were 7 months old. Mine get 1 cup of food in the morning, and 1 cup in the afternoon, but some people give 1 1/2 cups twice a day. It depends on your dog, you can try 1 1/2 cups and see how his poop is, if its normal and he's not gaining too much weight, then that amount would be good, but if his poop is soft, runny like soft serve, or he's pooping a lot during the day, or he gains too much weight too fast, then cut back down to 1 cup twice a day. 1 cup twice a day is good for my guys, they're a year old and weigh 40 lbs. they are solid, with a well defined waist, you can feel their ribs, but not see them, which is what my vet says is how you tell if they're a good weight. My two consistently gained about 2 lbs every month, for the first year, and now just maintain. We still give the toppers like you, we give hard boiled eggs once a week, cut up apples, bananas, or strawberries, yogurt, salmon oil, green beans, shredded carrots, and cheese strings, but these things are treats.

Last edited:

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Lola was about 6 or 7 months when I cut the mid day meal. It was hard at first because around lunch time she would look for food and keep going to he dish but after a few days she got the hang of it.

L

Lucy-licious

Billy is 9 months and still having his 3 meals a day. We did cut him down at one point but he just seemed forever hungry..so after a few weeks we went back to 3/day x

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.