Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, everyone I have a question. When my guys were puppies, I added warm water to their kibble to make it softer and easier to eat. I still add water to their kibble even though they are a year old now, because they don't seem to drink too much water during the day, so I feel better that they get some extra water in the morning and evening in their kibble. Is this okay to do, or is it better to feed them the kibble dry? I was wondering if it was better for their teeth to eat kibble hard, and does adding water to their food change or lessen the nutritional values of the kibble? They eat Fromms Beef Fritatta.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I have no idea if it's better for their teeth or not (I wouldn't think so though) or if it takes away from the nutritional value of the food, but I have been adding a wee bit of water off and one during the evening feedings whenever I add a bit of wet food for years. The only problem I ever have had is if I add a wee bit too much. They get soft stools the next day but that's it.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
As long as you don't let it soak and get soft it doesn't hurt anything. The only reason for letting them chew it hard is to help with their teeth and keeping them clean. They swallow most of their kibble whole anyway so it doesn't matter that much anyway. So if you want to continue the practice, I don't see any problem with it.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
At what age is it safe to feed dry kibble? Our breeder told us to feed Fergus wet kibbles until 6 months or longer because they tend to choke on their food.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
You can feed dry kibble from the get go. The chances of them choking on it is slim. They can choke on their chew toys too. Sometimes, puppies and even adults don't like to eat the dry kibble unless it's softened that's why we add water. It doesn't change the nutritional value. And yes, they do lose the slight advantage of them exercising their jaws and cleaning their gums. But that's easily alleviated by giving them dental chews.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I put a little water in Banks' bowl with her food to slow her down -- she INHALES, the 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water I add soes not mush the food (she doesn't give it time to) and she still has to chew somewhat

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
yea I was gonna say what the young lady above me just said... and also,
adding a little bit of water will help avoid (somewhat) the dry kibble from spilling all over the floor...

Jacks atttacks his food bowl in such a way that the kibble spills over.. He then licks up the tile floors trying to pick up those loose bits...

I have the cleanest backyard tiled floors in the neighborhood.....

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
I still add a small amount of warm water to Miss Tallulah's kibble. She eats it before it gets mushy and the supplement I add turns it into a little gravy. I also add a tablespoon of pro biotic Greek yogurt to her breakfast meal. She chews on enough antlers, Kongs, cloth wubbas and stuffies, that I never worry about her teeth needing a workout. Besides- it looks like she just inhales the dish. That is why I use an elevated feed dish - to slow her down a bit and help prevent gas. It works.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i dont see anything wrong with adding some water to the kibble. if your worried about cleaning teeth give them a dental chew its what i do with sarah as she doesnt seem interested in her deer antlers anymore. i have read in places not to water down food with citric acid in it but not sure how valid that is. i dont see where adding some water will lessen the nutritional value of the food. it going to get watered down in the stomach anyway.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.