Help Needed! Nature's Variety Instinct vs. Earthborn Holistic

satyr

Feb 17, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Kirby
My EB pup just turned 16 weeks old, he's almost fully potty-trained and I was thinking that it's time to move him off of the food that his breeder started him on (Eukanuba). He hasn't had any problems with it, but his gas is awful and I know that it's not a quality food. I've limited my options down to Earthborn Holistic Meadow Feast or Nature's Variety Instinct (either the duck and turkey formula or the rabbit formula). They seem to all exclude potato, and I am trying to stay away from chicken because I know that is a common allergy.

Anybody have any reason why I should go with one over the other? No matter which I go with, I plan to get a small starter bag to make sure he likes it and does well on it.

Thanks for any help that you can offer.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I use the Earthborn great plains and it has bison in it. I really like it! I used Fromm since Lola was a puppy but went grain free and it didn't agree with her so my vet suggested Earthborn grain free and I love it! The gas is gone and she doesn't go poop like she used to. Both my girls like the taste of it as well and they eat it right away. I know several others on here use it also and I haven't heard any problems yet.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
I have used both with my boys. Currently on Earthborn Meadowfeast, switched over from the NVI Rabbit because the rabbit formula was hard to find in my area and even petflow didn't always have it. They are both great foods and which ever one you decide to use your boy will do great on

By the way, I have no :fart: issues that make you want to :faint:

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
I am transitioning Petunia to Earthborn Meadow Feast and she really likes the taste but since she is transitioning she does have smelly farts still...will have to let you know more when she is fully transitioned and has been taking it for at least a month.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
before my raw change, my pack was on just about everything, but the last thing they were on was pretty good , Nutrisca grain free and potato free. Lamb and chick pea

OP
S

satyr

Feb 17, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Kirby
Thanks for the responses. I'm going to give the Earthborn Meadow Feast a try. Trying to find some sample bags before going for the big one.
I would eventually like to transition over to raw, but I don't know anything about balancing the diet and don't have the money right now. I plan to dive into the raw feeding section as time goes on, so that I may learn about it.

I supplement his diet with occasional brown rice, hard-boiled eggs, yogurt/cottage cheese, carrots/fruits and turkey-vegetable baby food. I'm also debating on starting a probiotic, but am glad that most of the quality foods have omega additives in them so that I don't need to add that. Any tips/insight into these things?

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
you don't want to add too much because that could cause gas and runny poo. My boys get plain greek yogurt on their food in the morning (1 heaping tablespoon) and at night grizzly salmon oil squirted on their food. These are done daily and the other things you have listed are just used as occasional treats

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
If you're going with NVI or Earthborn you don't need to supplement his meals except for occasional treats or to address a specific health symptom. These premium kibbles are designed to be "complete formula" and have specific nutrients balancing.

I was using Earthborn Primitive Natural and before that I was with Blue Wilderness. They still had smelly farts in either one of those foods. But, my dogs did well on both of those foods. I haven't tried NVI at all. From what I remember about some forum members' experience on NVI, it has clay that can cause the dog to get constipated so just something to watch for and just check that the dog is getting lots of water.

I'm on PMR now and if I didn't go crazy with the super expensive free-range and grass fed stuff, I could have fed my dogs at around the same amount I was spending on Earthborn.

Hope this helps.

flkjr2

Nov 24, 2012
Florissant, Missouri
Bulldog(s) Names
Z
I use NVI with Z. I had used Eukanuba with my last bulldog having no idea at all how poor quality food that was...so great job on deciding to switch. Z is doing well with it no problems...the only thing I know that is a issue with it is that its really high in protein compared to other kibbles.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I have used both, I used NVI for over two years and suddenly Vegas didn't do so well on it so I did a slow change to Earthborne Bison. He did great for about 7-8 months then started not doing so well on it. I switched to the lamb about a month or so ago with the Earthbourne and he is doing great on it!! We will have to see how long this one last. I think over time with all his allergies he develops allergies to his own food. It is a never ending battle in this house with foods. Right now he looks great with the Lamb.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I use NVI with Z. I had used Eukanuba with my last bulldog having no idea at all how poor quality food that was...so great job on deciding to switch. Z is doing well with it no problems...the only thing I know that is a issue with it is that its really high in protein compared to other kibbles.

High protein is not a problem. High protein is very very good. The higher the better. As long as the protein comes mostly from animal and not plant source. And both NVI and Earthborn are relatively meaty kibble.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well i have used both and they are both great food. i will say the rabbit formula of nvi comes from china but that is the only one. otherwise either is a great choice. i dont give sarah much in the way of supplements as she gets a joint med with alot of other things in it. she gets a probiotic also. i used to give salmon oil but her joint med has the omegas in it now. meadowfeast is a good choice.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Until I can kick my butt back into gear and start cooking for them again, they all eat Earthborn Primitive Natural. They seem to love it.

CharlieFL

Jul 16, 2012
Fort Lauderdale
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie
If price is not an issue I will go with NVI. Charlie was on earthborn and after i few months he stopped eating it. with NVI he loves it and it has more protein than Earthborn.

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
HAs anyone noticed that the kibble for Meadowfeast has changed? I transitioned Petunia and bought a small bag and now bought the big bag and the kibble looks different.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.