General Question 1/4 a cup 4 times a day to much?

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I am feeding Lucy who is 6 weeks 1/4 cup 4 times a day I feed at 8, 12, 4, and 8. I was only feeding her 3 times a day the first day but before bed she would go over to the food bag and cry so I started feeding her at 8 and then we go to bed around 10. Do you think I am feeding her to much? With Lola I fed her 1/4 cup 3x a day tell she was about 10 weeks then I slowly went up to 1/2 cup three times a day but Lola wasn't as hungry as Lucy:D. Thank you!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would think it to be OK.... but i tagged the puppy knowledgeable members for you

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
why don't you bump her up to the amount equal to 2 cups a day . 3 times instead of the 8 pm feeding I just worry about the 8 pm feeding and potty training is all

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
She is getting 1 cup a day if you add together the four 1/4 cup feedings. I think two cups would be to much for a 6 week old puppy. Her bag of food says 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup a day for her weight so I am giving her a little bit more than that.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
No, I don't think it's too much, altogether it's only 1 cup a day. When my 2 were small puppies and until they were 7 months old, I fed my guys 1 cup 3 times a day, so they were eating 3 cups a day, but some people feed 2 cups a day divided into 3 feedings a day. Now they eat 1 cup twice a day in the morning and the evening, so 2 cups a day. It depends on the puppy, if they are a good weight, don't seem to be hungry, and their poops are a good consistency, firm but soft, and not mushy, then the amount is probably good for your dog.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
So long as her poo is firm it's perfect. If it becomes runny/mushy back off again:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
That's how we usually gauge their food, if the poop is firm then we increase it until their poop becomes soft then back it down a little, till it firms up. I want to make sure my pups get plenty to eat when they are growing.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
That's how we usually gauge their food, if the poop is firm then we increase it until their poop becomes soft then back it down a little, till it firms up. I want to make sure my pups get plenty to eat when they are growing.

Yep and actually sometimes you will give more to one pup and less to another depending on how their poops are, even at the same age and size. I remember miss Bertha in particular could eat more than her brother Marlow even though they were very close in size and weight. As a general rule, at eight weeks they should be eating approx 1.5 cups per day so you should be gradually increasing in the next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Her poop is perfect right now! Not hard but not soft and she is going 3 to 4 times a day. I think I will slowly go up to 1/2 cup 3 times a day and hopefully her poo holds right where it is! At this age with Lola I fed her 1/4 cup 3 times a day but I guess each puppy is different, also Lucy so far has a different build than Lola as well. Also I should say it is grain free does that matter?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online