Can anyone give recommendations on a bland diet???

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
I spoke with a dietition who has also worked with some vets about Mr.Beefy's anal gland and tummy issues. She suggested that until it heals to put him on a raw/bland diet. Any recommendations on this? I've had to home-make Georgia's food before but it required different things since she was prego, plus she doesnt have any tummy issues. THANKS IN ADVANCE

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
The only bland diet I've ever had to use is when Maggie has had an upset stomach .... it's usually white rice with a little canned dog food stirred in. I know a few people on here use hamburger meat instead of the canned food. I only use the canned food because it's usually an emergency situation and I just haven't got the time to cook up some hamburger meat. Our vet did stress to use the WHITE rice and not the brown or wild. It usually works VERY well and she loves it ... you'd think I was giving her caviar the way she gets so excited when she sees it!!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Since I usually always have white rice, hamburger, or chicken handy.... these are what I use. If I have cottage cheese I will use this too. I just boil the hamb or chicken and add it to the rice. I reserve a bit of the juice from boiling to add to it, but I don't use cheap fatty hamburger either. So if your hamb has a lot of fat I would NOT do the juice.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
The only bland diet I've ever had to use is when Maggie has had an upset stomach .... it's usually white rice with a little canned dog food stirred in. I know a few people on here use hamburger meat instead of the canned food. I only use the canned food because it's usually an emergency situation and I just haven't got the time to cook up some hamburger meat. Our vet did stress to use the WHITE rice and not the brown or wild. It usually works VERY well and she loves it ... you'd think I was giving her caviar the way she gets so excited when she sees it!!!

why not brown rice? Interesting. I only use brown so that is what I have given my boys when their tummy is upset, never knew I shouldnt.
Like desertsky said I boil the chicken and keep that juice for the rice mixture. The boys LOVE it when they are sick. haha.

OP
gatorfan85

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
See I would have done it wrong lol. I was going to do the brown rice since thats what I use when I cook their meals. Thanks for the advice i'll go get some white rice and i'll let u guys know if he improves..THANKS EVERYBODY!!!:up:

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I've always been told white rice and boiled chicken. Hamburger tends to be too fatty...Chicken I've been told is blander. Brown rice has a higher fiber content, which may cause them to experience abdominal discomfort or bloating. Because of its lower fiber content, white rice is less abrasive to their intestinal lining than brown rice. Most generally they can digest white rice without any discomfort, while brown rice causes pain and gas production.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.