Other Coconut Oil .... bad????

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I had a very interesting talk with the registered and licensed dietitian that I work with for the Bootcamp I run. For some reason, we were talking about the recent diet fads ... for a while I was hearing a lot about gluten free to be THE diet to be on, and just recently the vegan diet is starting to get popular. Then you also have this whole fad about coconut water.

So the conversation led to coconut oil and the health benefits ... she immediately said a huge NO .. that coconut oil had a huge amount of saturated fat, so of course my jaw hit the table. Because we are hearing so much of the health benefits for our bully babies.

Angel, the dietitian, has my complete respect. I've worked with her for four years and between us we've had some fantastic results. And she was very up-front and told me that she really didn't know if maybe it was different for the canine digestion. However, for humans the saturated fat content was really not good.

We did talk about Salmon oil and Angel agreed that the health benefits of salmon oil were as equally fantastic for humans when I told her why we were recommending salmon oil for our bullies.

However, to get the same amount of health benefits as salmon oil rather than give coconut oil, FLAX SEED OIL is the closest to it.

Bella is allergic to salmon oil .... and I was considering coconut oil ... maybe I'll get the flax seed oil instead!!!!!

Tagging @Twice and @cowsmom on this one to see what they say ..............

Last edited:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Interesting. I plan on asking my Vet what his opinion is on it as the calories are 120/40 per tbsp. Not sure what Salmon oil is. I may try that again to see if Emma does better on it now that she's a bit older. I'll have to ask him about the saturated fat now too. Thanks for that info from your dietician. :up:

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
There are 2 types of saturated fats. Non-hydrogenated and Hydrogenated or transfats. It is the hydrogenated (processed) saturated fat that the body cannot use and stores.

The saturated fats in Coconut Oil contains something called lauric acid, it is from that acid that all the benefits come from and one of the very few places you can find lauric acid is in coconut oil. This is why, when cooking or supplementing with it you absolutely have to use the unprocessed organic type. I'm just going to paste this rather than explain it myself (coz I'd probably screw it up)

Nearly 50 percent of the fat in coconut oil is of a type rarely found in nature called lauric acid, a "miracle" compound because of its unique health promoting properties. Your body converts lauric acid into monolaurin, which has anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-protozoa properties. (6)
Coconut oil is also nature's richest source of medium-chain fatty acids (MCFAs), also called medium-chain triglycerides or MCTs. By contrast, most common vegetable or seed oils are comprised of long chain fatty acids (LCFAs), also known as long-chain triglycerides or LCTs.
LCTs are large molecules, so they are difficult for your body to break down and are predominantly stored as fat.
But MCTs (7) , being smaller, are easily digested and immediately burned by your liver for energy -- like carbohydrates, but without the insulin spike. MCTs actually boost your metabolism and help your body use fat for energy, as opposed to storing it, so it can actually help you become leaner.
Back in the 1940s, farmers discovered this effect accidentally when they tried using inexpensive coconut oil to fatten their livestock.
It didn't work!
Instead, coconut oil made the animals lean, active and hungry.
Coconut oil has actually been shown to help optimize body weight, which can dramatically reduce your risk of developing Type 2 diabetes (8). Besides weight loss, boosting your metabolic rate will improve your energy, accelerate healing and improve your overall immune function.
And several studies have now shown that MCTs can enhance physical or athletic performance.(9)
[FONT=Georgia, Century, Times, serif]And finally, as we have already discussed, coconut oil is [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Century, Times, serif]incredibly[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Century, Times, serif] good for your heart. The truth is this: [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Century, Times, serif]it is [/FONT]unsaturated[FONT=Georgia, Century, Times, serif] fats that are primarily involved in heart disease[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Century, Times, serif] [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Century, Times, serif]and [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Century, Times, serif]too much sugar [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Century, Times, serif]and processed foods, not the naturally occurring saturated fats, as you have been led to believe. (10)[/FONT]

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] @JAKEISGREAT...THIS is exactly what I don't understand WHAT these schools are
teaching in nutrition...or NOT teaching...Grrrrr! Thank you for saying what I was going to and to say,
I can vouch for all the great stuff said in the article, Bev was so gracious to print...I've gone to cooking
& eating daily (if not cooking) w/coconut oil.

I HAVE LOST WEIGHT and...feel better!

If your bully is overweight give 1 teasp, 1 or 2 x weekly but if not, give 3 to 4 x weekly.

Our society is so paranoid about the word, FATS...and does not understand how the good
fats work. Our bodies & bullies NEED good fats and I never eat low or no fat anything because
they replace the difference with SUGAR. I eat all the good fats, coconut, avocado, real butter,
real cheese (Gouda is a good choice for other health reasons too). Stay away from transfats,
HFCS (high fructose corn syrup), sugar, soda, real or diet.

I've completely changed how I was eating under dietitian, doctors, & endocrinologist 2 years
ago...I was dying...researched and have lost from 188 lbs to 146 lbs not being able to exercise
(too ill) so I know what I know.

Your friend may know the basics but this stuff, they aren't exposed to...who do you think under
writes these seminars, etc? The big food corporations selling crap to America, it's disgusting!

Sorry for my rant but people are malnourished and/or dying thinking they are eating properly.
We are being fed a bunch of lies while these corporations are making trillions, they will rot in h*ll.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I have noticed that some of the higher end dog food has flax seed oil in it so there must be something to it! I have read on many sites that coconut oil is very good for dogs and humans in fact if you swish it in your mouth like mouth wash for 10 to 15 minutes it cures a whole bunch of things, that was on the Dr Oz show. If I was you I would do some research and ask a vet.

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I have noticed that some of the higher end dog food has flax seed oil in it so there must be something to it! I have read on many sites that coconut oil is very good for dogs and humans in fact if you swish it in your mouth like mouth wash for 10 to 15 minutes it cures a whole bunch of things, that was on the Dr Oz show. If I was you I would do some research and ask a vet.

Because it is antibacterial, antimicrobal and the bacteria binds to it.

DO NOT SPIT OUT in the sink or toliet bowl because it will solidify and
therefore will eventually, clog your sewer lines.

​Most Vets will have no clue OR say it is bad for them (in error).

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
How are you swishing it around in your mouth? It's solid until melted and melted it's hot?

If I was you I would do some research and ask a vet.

The problem with that is that vets aren't trained in nutrition. Some vet schools only require 4 credits in nutrition. 4 out of 160 credits is nothing. It amounts to one class during one semester. Most of the studies vets use as their base for data are funded by Hills, this is one of the reasons they push us so hard to use Science Diet.

To get answers on nutrition, your best bet is to find a nutritionist.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
You know, my sister told me this a while back and I had to google it to believe her. I was shocked too. I admit I take flax oil pills cuz I can't stand the omega 3 fishy ones that hubby takes. Never really thought of it relating o bullies tho for some reason.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION]-when I give it to Lola I run hot water over the container and let it melt and when I do it that way its not hot just warm.

When I give it to Lola regularly she has a really nice coat and she loves the taste.

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@kazzy220 @Twice [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] [MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION]...
"I HAVE LOST WEIGHT and...feel better!
I've completely changed how I was
eating under dietitian, doctors, & endocrinologist 2 years
ago...I was dying...
researched and have lost from 188 lbs to 146 lbs not being able to exercise
(too ill) so I know what I know. "

The above is confusing...I was dying WHILE in these professional's care. Was
always fit, trim & healthy and after having Aaron when I was 33, I never felt
well & began a slow decline, very subtly until I just could not ignore SOMETHING
was wrong! Years of tests and Dr's telling me it was stress, depression, etc and
trying to give me anti-depressants & anti-anxiety meds...I declined.

Under an Endocrinolgist's care, I went from weighing 135 lbs @ 5'4" and working
to gaining 55 lbs and so sick I had to quit working. She also could not bring my very
high blood sugars down (and blamed me) altho I was doing all that was suggested.

Finally fed up, bed confined, sick mentally & physically (I was depressed now) I fired
her & her dietitian after 3 yrs of their 'care' and got off the many meds that weren't
and had never, helped me in the least but was consistently bullied into NOT going off,
I took matters into my own hands...I had nothing to lose, I was dying.

I researched and did the things that made sense to ME and which THEY disagreed with
and...got better! Off those meds (3 which are now OFF the market for killing people)
and as I said, I was too weak to exercise but still have managed to lose the 60 lbs their
care & their meds put on me and when I expressed concern always was put in my place
and pooh pawed me.

Krill oil, flaxseed oil, avocado oil & coconut oils are all GOOD fats and the body uses as fuel
and will burn off. Choose any of these as great supplements or switch around every 6 mo's.

When I take coconut oil by mouth or gave to Brutus, it was a level teaspoon so about 65 cal
and about 2-3 x weekly, the calories added into our overall count as any and all calorie sources.

I use EfaGold made by Nature's Way, it is organic, pure, extra virgin, cold pressed, non GMO
(GMO's cause allergies & other problems), unrefined & non bleached. It can be found at Wal-
greens & probably other stores, I know there are other sources w/same requirements on the
Internet that are cheaper, I just haven't had time to find them & order but going to soon.

It is a great shame that currently, we can't trust our Doctors, Dietitians, Vets, etc to know AND
understand gut health, optimum nutrician, and how it all woks synergistically...but most don't!

It's true...WHAT you don't know (they) can kill you...and will. So, that's my story & end of rant!

Thank you for listening...love you all! Carol

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Wow [MENTION=5315]Texas Carol[/MENTION] that is amazing! Thank gawd you listened to your gut instincts! Did you ever go back to those drs etc to show them they were wrong? Many drs just want to throw meds at you. I hate that. I am all for them when needed but think often they r given too quickly. I do eat avocado a good 5 days a week already. Will look into this tho, I find it very interesting! I know dr oz has recommended sing it and I didn't understand why if it is saturated fat. Thinking he should do a show on this topic. ;) I love him cuz he is open minded to everything that isnt just medicine.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok ive read up on this some and it seems that the virgin or unrefined is the one to get and that is has many health benefits for dogs including for the skin and allergies. hm i may start feeding sarah some but ive started giving her zinc and maybe coq10 so may wait a bit.

Last edited:

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I think coconut oil is fine, and I give it to Ace, I have been taking flax seed for years and it has a good profile on the Omega's plus other benefits such as digestion. I have recently started giving some to Ace and he like it, I have put it on his food or mixed it with yogurt. Of course make sure the flax seed is ground up or cold milled. It doesn't do any good for humans or animals if not ground, the seeds must be crushed

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.