General Question Food ??

bullyluv34

Aug 29, 2012
Imperial, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Francesca aka "Frankie"
I currently have Frankie on Fromm Beef Frittata, she is getting a really pink chin. Scratching around her shoulder area. I spoke with someone who swears by Diamnond Naturals Beef.. Does anyone use this food or has used this food and what are was the outcome?

I have to say my jaw hit the floor when she said Diamond, but she said the Naturals is the same, but better brand than what I was thinking.. HELP please.. I need to get her itchy & pinky free ;)

brileythebully

Jan 17, 2013
Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Briley
Do you know which ingredient is causing the reaction? I'm wondering because both foods you mentioned have the main ingredient beef. She could have an allergy to beef, in which case switching to another beef food would not help the problem. Also, I'm not positive but I don't think diamond naturals is grain free, I know there are some recipes in diamonds "naturals" line that are not grain free, but not sure about the formula you're talking about. Which could be a step down from the food you're feeding currently if she has reactions to grains (which most do).
Also, if you decide to switch to any diamond product be careful and watch out for the recalls! I know many people swear by diamond and TOTW, and I personally saw success with TOTW, but they do have a long list of recalls on their foods.
GOODLUCK! Hope your baby gets to feelin better.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Also, it might be an environmental allergy and may not be food related... You can try a food elimination bland diet to figure out what's causing the allergy.

Last edited:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I, personally WOULD NOT use Diamond's food...too many recalls for me.

It could be a beef allergy but also, to something else...snacks, toy, environmental
such as grass, mold, leaves, etc.

Investigate 1st before changing foods, if it does seem like beef, Fromm's has other
flavors-good luck!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
What kind of water bowl are you using... anything but stainless steel could be causing this. Try to dry her chin after drinking and occasionally during the day.

OP
bullyluv34

bullyluv34

Aug 29, 2012
Imperial, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Francesca aka "Frankie"
Thank you all for replying..
it is wheat, corn & Soy free..grain .. no.. She always did fine now all of a sudden she is scratching her shoulder area, her chin is pink and her eyes always watered, but I use drops (allergy) for that but now the white part is getting pink. I am thinking more the enviromental like You all as well. I really like the fromm and thought if it indeed was the food it would have started 3+ months ago when I started her on it. But, she does drink out of a plastic bowl BruceP. I will go to PetCO tonight and get her a stainless steel one. she demolished the last one :p and I will try a bland diet if the steel dont clear it all up.

I really appreciate you all for the reply and info :)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
it is wheat, corn & Soy free..grain .. no.. She always did fine now all of a sudden she is scratching her shoulder area, her chin is pink and her eyes always watered, but I use drops (allergy) for that but now the white part is getting pink. I am thinking more the enviromental like You all as well. I really like the fromm and thought if it indeed was the food it would have started 3+ months ago when I started her on it. But, she does drink out of a plastic bowl BruceP. I will go to PetCO tonight and get her a stainless steel one. she demolished the last one :p and I will try a bland diet if the steel dont clear it all up.

It's amazing how sensitive bullies are and some poor babies...to everything!
[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION]...great tip on the stainless steel bowl reminded me to suggest filtered
or distilled water, if you're not already doing so. Happy Valentine's Day to YOU!

brileythebully

Jan 17, 2013
Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Briley
I did not see before that you had been feeding the Fromm for some time now, which leads to me believe as everyone said that it very well could be environmental. The advice by Bruce and Texas Carol about the bowl and water is a good add!!
Also, if no one has mentioned, if it is environmental allergies you can give Benadryl to help. You might want to do this to ease the itching and uncomfortableness your bully is experiencing anyways. It is 1 mg per 1 lb. So, a 50 lb dog would get two 25 mg tabs.
Hope all gets better!!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy

It's amazing how sensitive bullies are and some poor babies...to everything!
@BruceP...great tip on the stainless steel bowl reminded me to suggest filtered
or distilled water, if you're not already doing so. Happy Valentine's Day to YOU!

Good idea to get SS water bowl.... and I should have said food bowl as well. Both bowls should be Stainless steel.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Wiping her face after eating should also help, and of course keep the bowls clean and germ free (plastic harbors bacteria, even if washed) If shes at the teen years and many do develop chin acne, stridex pads can help kill bacteria on the chin too :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

OP
bullyluv34

bullyluv34

Aug 29, 2012
Imperial, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Francesca aka "Frankie"
Her food bowl is SS, but her water bowl was one of the plastic water ones that I fill mutiple x's a day with bpttled Distilled water since I brought her home at 8 weeks, well first she was on our filtered water then she developed tear stains so I switvched to Distilled and she only gets that.

She just turned 7 months and never had itchy skin (just on the shoulder area though) or a pink face.. but since its been warning up shes started. I will try the strydex pads as well if she starts getting the acne.

Just got home from petco with her SS water bowl too by the way ;)

Thanks a bunch all :)

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
My guy is just over a year old and had been eating Fromms Beef Frittata since he was 4 months old. Changing him to good food was really helpful (thanks EBN), especially keeping him from being all smelly and having to be bathed every other week. But he still had watery eyes and would get pink chin, face and paws as the day progressed and this while taking 2 benadryls twice a day. Then his chin started getting sores and the nose rope was all red and sometimes gunky no matter what wipes, pads or creams I used. Enough! I started researching recipes for treats and now make my own - grain free. His face started getting better but still yeasty. Again I sent out my SOS to EBN and was directed to Natures Variety Instinct. I found out it is Tapioca based instead of potatoes so it helps with yeast problems. The salmon flavor even notes on the bag that its great for allergies and like Fromms the flavors can be switched without tummy issues. We have one more week until he is fully transitioned but his eyes no longer run, he doesn't need the benadryl :), and his face and paws are no longer red come evening. Yah! While all dogs respond differently to different foods, I suggest looking into NVI but also examine what other foods your baby might get like treats, bites and licks of people food, chew sticks, etc... Only by process of elimination can you determine the causes of the problem. Good luck!

HrsDiva

I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve
Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
My guy is just over a year old and had been eating Fromms Beef Frittata since he was 4 months old. Changing him to good food was really helpful (thanks EBN), especially keeping him from being all smelly and having to be bathed every other week. But he still had watery eyes and would get pink chin, face and paws as the day progressed and this while taking 2 benadryls twice a day. Then his chin started getting sores and the nose rope was all red and sometimes gunky no matter what wipes, pads or creams I used. Enough! I started researching recipes for treats and now make my own - grain free. His face started getting better but still yeasty. Again I sent out my SOS to EBN and was directed to Natures Variety Instinct. I found out it is Tapioca based instead of potatoes so it helps with yeast problems. The salmon flavor even notes on the bag that its great for allergies and like Fromms the flavors can be switched without tummy issues. We have one more week until he is fully transitioned but his eyes no longer run, he doesn't need the benadryl :), and his face and paws are no longer red come evening. Yah! While all dogs respond differently to different foods, I suggest looking into NVI but also examine what other foods your baby might get like treats, bites and licks of people food, chew sticks, etc... Only by process of elimination can you determine the causes of the problem. Good luck!

Yeah :thumbup: that's awesome! ! Keep up the great job!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Most Reactions

Members online