Should I switch food?

lgonz010

Sep 23, 2010
Riverside, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny
So Gunny is 8 months old and we have been feeding him Royal Canin (medium breed, puppy) for about 2 months now. Before this we had him on Blue Buffalo (for puppies) and it was horrible for him. He ate it but it went straight through him and he had diarrehea the entire time he was on it. So since he has been on Royal Canin he has been good. Poop is normal, everything is going good. Now, I don't know if this is the best food I can possibly have him on? A friend of mine told me to switch him over to Canine Caviar? She works with the bulldog rescue and that is what she gives her bullies. Then from reading on this forum I concluded that the two top choices would be either Nature's Variety or Fromm Dog Food. My question is should I change his food or leave it alone since there have been no real problems since his been on it.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would definatley try a better food for optimum health and immune system. We added a recommended dog food page with our top five choices with much research with lindathedogsmaid. You can see the article on the EBN news page: English Bulldog Community News - English Bulldog News-The Front Page

Royal canin is NOT the best choice for optimum health and immune system. :)

If you don't like these foods, the nice thing is you can always go back, right? :D

OP
lgonz010

lgonz010

Sep 23, 2010
Riverside, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny
Has anyone tried canine caviar on their bulldog? I was actually considering Fromm Surf & Turf too, just got to find a place that sells it near by.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Has anyone tried canine caviar on their bulldog? I was actually considering Fromm Surf & Turf too, just got to find a place that sells it near by.

I've never even heard of that food but I looked it up, its a 3 star food. Not TERRIBLE but not that great. If you contact Lindathedogsmaid, here is her profile and I think her email is listed on there:

View Profile: Lindathedogsmaid - English Bulldog News ~Forums~

She can get you in contact with someone in your area that can get you Fromm, she is very helpful. She helped me, when I searched on the Fromm website I didn't find anything near me but she contacted a local distributor and let me know the feed store I go to will special order it for me.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Or you can order it online. I think someone said petfooddirect.com is a fair price with delivery. Maybe they deliver to your area?

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
My Vegas has been on Nature's Variety for almost 4 weeks, he is like a different boy. He had many allergies and was so stinky and red, and now he does not stink at all and NO redness in his face. I LOVE this food.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
we had lex on blue buffalo a few weeks ago and he had diarrehea too, not all the time just ever so often... we switched to bil jac and we could tell a huge diff in his energy level he was a whole new pup even on the first day.... everythings coming out alot harder as well!!!! good luck hop you find a food that works for your baby!!!

laurentourville

Wrinkle Wiper
Mar 23, 2010
Rockingham, VT
Bulldog(s) Names
Horse
yes, definetly contact linda! also, check with a local pet store or feed store. a lot of times they don't carry certain brands just because the demand for them isn't high (which hopefully sometime they will only sell high quality foods!), I've learned that a lot of dog foods are distrubuted from the same distributor, so it would be easy for the store to special order it for you!

OP
lgonz010

lgonz010

Sep 23, 2010
Riverside, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny
Thanks everyone. I will be checking out a couple feed store in my area and deciding on either Fromm or Nature's Variety.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
[MENTION=1246]lgonz010[/MENTION] did you ever switch foods? Which did you go with?

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
My Vegas has been on Nature's Variety for almost 4 weeks, he is like a different boy. He had many allergies and was so stinky and red, and now he does not stink at all and NO redness in his face. I LOVE this food.

Which formula do you feed. Im STILL looking for the perfect food for bullies with severe allergies.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Which formula do you feed. Im STILL looking for the perfect food for bullies with severe allergies.

Hi [MENTION=939]NikkiSchoolcraft[/MENTION] - I also use Nature's Variety Instinct formulas for Linus and Truman, mostly because Linus suffered from itching, ear infections, interdigital cysts because I was feeding him junk. The food is made so you can rotate all of the proteins within the Nature's Variety Instinct family - and there's a bunch to choose from - however, English Bulldogs, being the sensitive souls they are tend to do better on one protein than another. We've had good luck with the Nature's Variety Instinct Turkey and Duck formula. We've tried Rabbit, Salmon, and Chicken too but they do best on the Turkey and Duck. They also make accompanying treats you can buy with them - grain free, of course. The main thing that distinguishes Nature's Variety Instinct from other grain free foods is that is doesn't have potatoes or sweet potatoes as a main ingredient and I found the presence of those two ingredients in most grain free foods was increasing the amount of yeast I was seeing on Linus.

I hope that helps!

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
Hi [MENTION=939]NikkiSchoolcraft[/MENTION] - I also use Nature's Variety Instinct formulas for Linus and Truman, mostly because Linus suffered from itching, ear infections, interdigital cysts because I was feeding him junk. The food is made so you can rotate all of the proteins within the Nature's Variety Instinct family - and there's a bunch to choose from - however, English Bulldogs, being the sensitive souls they are tend to do better on one protein than another. We've had good luck with the Nature's Variety Instinct Turkey and Duck formula. We've tried Rabbit, Salmon, and Chicken too but they do best on the Turkey and Duck. They also make accompanying treats you can buy with them - grain free, of course. The main thing that distinguishes Nature's Variety Instinct from other grain free foods is that is doesn't have potatoes or sweet potatoes as a main ingredient and I found the presence of those two ingredients in most grain free foods was increasing the amount of yeast I was seeing on Linus.

I hope that helps!

Yes, It helps alot. I have always fed "quality" foods, but now that I have 3 bullies each with their own food issues, its been a challenge. Winston cant eat chicken, Hitch cant eat lamb, and Laya has protein and grain allergies. I have also noticed that the yeast is an on going issue. I will definately try Nature's Variety next. Thanks!! :D

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.