General Question Porky needs to lose 10 lbs

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
So after my lovely journey to the vet yesterday (it was freezing rain, roads were terrible, I was crying n I have a car with a slow leak in the tire lol not fun) the vet diagnosed porky then said she wants her to lose 10lbs by June 8(!!!!!!! I feel like I'm starving her as it is she was getting 1 cup twice a day so the vet wants me to go 1 cup in the morning 3/4 cup for dinner!!!!!! She's not a health food girl I tried Vegas stew she snubbed it, green beans r a toy, ice cubes r a toy :( lol idk what to do I cut out every treat she gets n she still gained weight since her last nail clipping :ashamed: the only special thing she gets is low fat string cheese b4 bed so in total all day 1 3/4 cups food n 1 string cheese but on a good note since the switch to Fromm her :poo: is looking fantastic lol!!!!! She can't start exercising until next Tuesday she's on bed rest until her meds r done so her back can heal grrr lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
I am going through the same thing with Otis - I too tried the Vegas Stew but it added weight 2 lbs in one week:eek:. What my vet recommended was a lower protein kibble - Fromm has a very high protein content, he wanted Otis to be on something 26% or under. I made the switch to Blue Buffalo which is at 24%, he is on the salmon and sweet potatoe. One of the other things I was doing wrong was giving him coconut oil which put added calories into his diet. So now this is what he gets:

1-1/4 c kibble in the am and the same in the evening, I may even have to slash that

He can have ALL the fresh broccoli he wants (per my vet) I said even an entire head and he said yes, if that will make YOU feel better....lol He say's he's not going to starve.

Also he can have no salt, no butter popcorn - it provides a good taste so he thinks he is getting quite the treat as well as it fills him up.

Good luck - I did get 2 pounds off Otis which is a good start but I give him little itty bity snacks now and then which I shouldn't (dinner scraps whicle I'm cooking etc) I just got scolded last nught from my hubby not to do it anymore.

I also take Otis out every evening and he runs the snow blown trails in our yard like a madman for some much needed excercise.

Best of luck to you and remember (and I have to do the same) it's all in OUR heads that they are starving - they will survive....even with those big sad brown eyes looking toward us like they are wilting away. My husband and vet say...look at him, does he look like he's starving and I have to admit, he does not.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I'd give her no more than 3/4 cup twice a day. No treats for a couple of weeks and check her weight daily (if you have a scale) to make sure she is loosing weight.

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
My vet said same thaing about Jack ; about 10 lbs over weight.
I dont see it. He's not fat at all. I say if you can see his first rib when standing over him than he is in good shape. Jack is on the taller side of English Bulldogs so he is gonna weigh more than the standard.
He's at 65 lbs now. But not fat at all. Except when he sits... His hiney gets a few rolls which make him look fat..

Just as pediatricians use to evalutate kids, I believe vets use a chart that tells them "At this age a Bulldog should be weighing xx lbs." ...I dont pay too much attention to that....

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
I'd give her no more than 3/4 cup twice a day. No treats for a couple of weeks and check her weight daily (if you have a scale) to make sure she is loosing weight.

Do u think I could save a handful of her dinner for right b4 bed?? Or even split the 3/4 cup if we don't give her something b4 bed she throws up in the middle of the night.

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
I am going through the same thing with Otis - I too tried the Vegas Stew but it added weight 2 lbs in one week:eek:. What my vet recommended was a lower protein kibble - Fromm has a very high protein content, he wanted Otis to be on something 26% or under. I made the switch to Blue Buffalo which is at 24%, he is on the salmon and sweet potatoe. One of the other things I was doing wrong was giving him coconut oil which put added calories into his diet. So now this is what he gets:

1-1/4 c kibble in the am and the same in the evening, I may even have to slash that

He can have ALL the fresh broccoli he wants (per my vet) I said even an entire head and he said yes, if that will make YOU feel better....lol He say's he's not going to starve.

Also he can have no salt, no butter popcorn - it provides a good taste so he thinks he is getting quite the treat as well as it fills him up.

Good luck - I did get 2 pounds off Otis which is a good start but I give him little itty bity snacks now and then which I shouldn't (dinner scraps whicle I'm cooking etc) I just got scolded last nught from my hubby not to do it anymore.

I also take Otis out every evening and he runs the snow blown trails in our yard like a madman for some much needed excercise.

Best of luck to you and remember (and I have to do the same) it's all in OUR heads that they are starving - they will survive....even with those big sad brown eyes looking toward us like they are wilting away. My husband and vet say...look at him, does he look like he's starving and I have to admit, he does not.

I know about the protein lol our appt yesterday took over an hour, she wants her on the high protein bcuz she's concerned her back end muscles aren't as defined as they should be n she's worried about her conformation that's also why she said the cheese was ok!!! Lmao my fiancées is the one who is always pouting saying I'm starving her its horrible with the two of us lol it's no wonder she's not 100 lbs lol

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
My vet said same thaing about Jack ; about 10 lbs over weight.
I dont see it. He's not fat at all. I say if you can see his first rib when standing over him than he is in good shape. Jack is on the taller side of English Bulldogs so he is gonna weigh more than the standard.
He's at 65 lbs now. But not fat at all. Except when he sits... His hiney gets a few rolls which make him look fat..

Just as pediatricians use to evalutate kids, I believe vets use a chart that tells them "At this age a Bulldog should be weighing xx lbs." ...I dont pay too much attention to that....

Lol no she looks chunky but she also does have a lottttttt of wrinkles but ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360676844.313422.jpg
That is chunky n lazy lol I know she needs to lose weight but then I have stuff like yesterday on Saturday she was outside on n off all day playing in the snow n she hurt her back somehow which is y we were at the vet, so I have to be careful with her in the snow :(

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Do u think I could save a handful of her dinner for right b4 bed?? Or even split the 3/4 cup if we don't give her something b4 bed she throws up in the middle of the night.

Sure, try holding back a handful from dinner til bedtime. But she shouldnt throw up from not having a bedtime snack. Just the opposite I would think.
I also agree with Jack Daniels about not taking some vets chart as gospel. We KNOW these dogs dont all grow at a fixed rate. Try snapping and posting some pix of the little wraskle.

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Sure, try holding back a handful from dinner til bedtime. But she shouldnt throw up from not having a bedtime snack. Just the opposite I would think.
I also agree with Jack Daniels about not taking some vets chart as gospel. We KNOW these dogs dont all grow at a fixed rate. Try snapping and posting some pix of the little wraskle.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360679318.855298.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1360679330.293536.jpg

Lol she sees the camera coming she usually won't stand still but I got a couple :)

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
60 pounds I think that she's starting to go through another growth spurt her shoulders r starting to widen out a lottt

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
EBN is acting up for me but I dont see that extra 10 pounds the vet sees. It she was 50, that would make 10# equal 20% overweight... no way. She is not THAT 'noticeable'. Maybe try the diet and take off a few and see how she looks.
Pix are hard to read in this as the camera angle makes a big difference. What you are looking for is, if viewed from directly above you should see a 'waist' behind her bottom rib.You shouldnt necessarily see all her ribs. That is getting a bit too light. Run your hand along her side and you should barely feel her ribs. Like they say, there should be some meat on her bones and still have a waist.

Edit: 60 is on the top end for a female bully. I still contend that she doesnt look that 'noticeable' from the pix.

Lulu belle

Jan 18, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
So after my lovely journey to the vet yesterday (it was freezing rain, roads were terrible, I was crying n I have a car with a slow leak in the tire lol not fun) the vet diagnosed porky then said she wants her to lose 10lbs by June 8(!!!!!!! I feel like I'm starving her as it is she was getting 1 cup twice a day so the vet wants me to go 1 cup in the morning 3/4 cup for dinner!!!!!! She's not a health food girl I tried Vegas stew she snubbed it, green beans r a toy, ice cubes r a toy :( lol idk what to do I cut out every treat she gets n she still gained weight since her last nail clipping :ashamed: the only special thing she gets is low fat string cheese b4 bed so in total all day 1 3/4 cups food n 1 string cheese but on a good note since the switch to Fromm her :poo: is looking fantastic lol!!!!! She can't start exercising until next Tuesday she's on bed rest until her meds r done so her back can heal grrr lol

We all hear it.
Last time my vet said he needs to lose a few pounds, I got insulted. I said without looking at the chart, look at him. He's taller than most, he has a waist & I think he's perfect. Than the vet said' "He does look good, but for his hips & joints a few less lbs would be better".
Max is 75lbs he gets 1/2 cup in the morning, 3/4 in the evening, 1 tablespoon of can food with string beans & some chicken before bed. I know I should cut him down more but, he's hungry (& I'm weak).
Just cut her down slowly so she's not too hungry & miserable.
Let me/us know how she's doing.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)

hmmm... How about fruit? Losing weight here was easy cuz Cutty will eat anything. How about carrots? Maybe cooked and mashed and mixed with the dry food?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I had to do this for Banks when she was about 1 or 2 years old. Best thing that worked for us.... she get a cup total at each meal 1/2 cup and 1/2 cup green beans. She lost the 10 lbs in no time and when we went back to her straight kibble, she maintained the same weight for the past 6 years

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.