General Question Is he getting enough??

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Ok so we are still working on the home cooking with Winston and finding out what he is and isn't allergic too. We had all intentions of doing an allergy test on him this week but we just ran into some financial troubles and unfortunately we just can't right now. We are now trying a recipe of cabbage, beef, and cauliflower. So far he seems to be ok, I think we have definitely ruled that beans & carrots are a no go with him. My question is though I want to make sure I am feeding him enough. We started out with a cup and he seemed to be hungry and not have as much energy so I am now giving him a cup and 1/2 twice a day. Do you think this is enough? He also gets a vitamin.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, bulldogs will always seem or be hungry. Lol. My Blossom would eat until she exploded, she is a Hoover, and I really have to watch her, as she will inhale her food, then steal her brothers, so we have to feed them separately, otherwise poor Dozer would starve, he just submits to her and gives her everything, toys , food, poor guy. He doesn't care what you do to him, he's such a sweetheart, Blossom is the bully. lol. Then she will try to get the cat food, but we keep it up high, and she learned how to open the dog food storage bin, and will put her face and front paws in the bin, and try to inhale the food in there too. Should have called her Miss Piggy.

My experience is that a cup to a cup and a half twice a day is a good amount of food for most bullies, but it totally depends on each individual dog, you have to look at the size of the dog, is he smaller, or larger?, you also have to look at their stools, are they well formed, firm, but soft, or are they soft serve, mushy, or diarrhea? How often is he going poop, as too much feeding can cause loose stools, or massive amounts when they poop. How does he look? Is he well defined, with a defined waist, and sufficient skin on him, you should be able to feel the ribs, but not see them, and they shouldn't feel bony. They shouldn't be overweight looking with a sagging stomach, or too dense or thick of a body. And the last thing I look at, is how active are they? Does he sleep a lot, or is he more active during the day, or is he very active, and runs and plays a lot? Does he go on long walks, or runs, during the day, as this will also determine if he needs more calories or not. That's what I base my guys feeding on, hope this helps.

Last edited:
OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Hi, bulldogs will always seem or be hungry. Lol. My Blossom would eat until she exploded, she is a Hoover, and I really have to watch her, as she will inhale her food, then steal her brothers, so we have to feed them separately, otherwise poor Dozer would starve, he just submits to her and gives her everything, toys , food, poor guy. He doesn't care whatbyoundomto him, he's such a sweetheart, Blossom is the bully. lol. Then she will try to,getbthenvat food, but we keep it up high, and she learned how to,open the dog food storage bin, and will put her face and front paws in the bin, and try to inhale the food in there too. Should have called her Miss Piggy.

My experience is that a cup to a cup and a half twice a day is a good amount of food for most bullies, but it totally depends on each individual dog, you have to look at the size of the dog, is he smaller, or larger?, you also have to look at their stools, are they well formed, firm, but soft, or are they soft serve, mushy, or diarrhea? How often is he going, as too much feeding can cause loose stools, or massive amounts when they poop. How does he look? Is he well defined, with a defined waist, and sufficient skin on him, you should be able to feel the ribs, but not see them, and they shouldn't feel bony. They shouldn't be overweight looking with a sagging stomach, or too dense or thick of a body. And the last thing I look at, is how active are they? Does he sleep a lot, or is he more I active during the day, or is he very active, and runs and plays a lot? Does he go on long walks, or runs, during the day, as this will also determine if he needs more calories or not. That's what I base my guys feeding on, hope tis helps.

Thank you for the information! That is very helpful!!! Blossom sounds like a trip!!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.