Help Needed! What is best for my puppy?

erica

Feb 10, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
Watson is 8 weeks old and I was wondering what is best for him to be eating now?

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Awwwwwwww he's adorabull um idk maybe [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] will know she's the ebn food guru :p I know a lotttttt of ppl feed Fromm (myself included now) n I've heard nothing but good things about them!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
What is he eating now? If he is doing ok..I would leave him alone until he is a bit older and you are ready for an all stage food. Jake came home on Iams puppy and mushy :poo: so I switched him to an all stage food at 11 weeks.

OP
erica

erica

Feb 10, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
He is on Iams now but he does have terrible :poo: and lots of gas. I want to be sure he is getting enough nutrients. Im not sure what I should do since he is still so young.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
He is on Iams now but he does have terrible :poo: and lots of gas. I want to be sure he is getting enough nutrients. Im not sure what I should do since he is still so young.

Well. [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] is our food guru..but I will put in my two cents worth! If you want puppy food..go with Fromm...ask [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] which formula to get. We did it a bit different and it was great for Jake. My vet likes all stages right away so we went with Fromm Surf n Turf. I did find out Jake doesn't do well on chicken so we switched to Beef Fritatta. Much better! Lots of Bully's have problems with chicken so I ould steer clear of that as a protein. And do a slow transition once you settle on the food you want to try.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
If this was my dog, I'd keep the Iams until the dog is settled in my home for a while - getting used to the new place, getting the routine down, etc. I'd say a good week or two. Then I would either go with a premium Puppy formula or go to a premium All Stages formula and go with a slow transition (slowly mixing in the new food to the Iams in a course of several days/weeks). There's a list of highly rated premium dog food on one of the articles here in EBN. Here are a few names I see a lot here: Fromm, Blue Wilderness, Earthborn Holistics, Orijen, Natures Variety Instinct, Taste of the Wild.

Another option is to do what @Scueva suggested and go raw. Lots of info on this in the Raw Food section. I'm a fan of the Prey-Model version of raw feeding (you can google Prey Model Raw for more info).

It really all comes down to what you are most comfortable with keeping in mind the quality of the nutrition your dog is getting.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We feed our pups FROMM Puppy Gold in the pink bag, feed them 3 times a day until about 5 months of age then you can switch to twice a day. Give them plenty of food. We usually gauge it off their poop. If their poop is a little soft cut back on the food a little until if firms up a bit, and that's the amount to feed and as they grow add a little more.

whitebronc

Jan 2, 2013
So Cal
Bulldog(s) Names
Ike
We feed Ike Blue Buffalo Longevity. It has been good for him. No reaction, growing like a champ now. Altho I will prolly move to Blue buffalo wilderness pretty soon.

PapaSmurf2

Bike riding, bully loving soldier
Jan 21, 2013
Hattiesburg MS
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie
I feed Gracie (and the other dogs here lol) homemade kibble....they LOVE it and I control what goes into it. I use ingredients from here on the Ranch so I know what goes into it. No preservatives or additives. I control the mount of grains and proteins that go into it. AND it's A LOT cheaper than buying it. The recipe is here..... http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/recipes-english-bulldogs/15819-homemade-kibbles.html . I also put about a cup of beef or chicken (depending on the flavor I'm making) per batch.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.