Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish Oil making But Stink

Bulldog(s) Names
    Uni & Boadie
    Likes (Received)

Default Fish Oil making But Stink

I have been giving Uni and Boadie both Grizzly Fish Oil for about a month now. I'm starting to notice a smell coming from their but. Not farts, but just a kind of fishy smell coming for under the tail area. I guessing this is from the fish oil. But the problem with that is I also started giving them apple cider vinegar at the same, so I'm not for sure. I have noticed that their fur has gotten shinier and softer since I began giving them these to things, so I don't want to stop, I am thinking of reduce the amount of fish oil I am giving them. I have been giving the recommended amount on the bottle. Does any body else notice a smell from fish oil?
    In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Fish Oil making But Stink

just their breath when they come up to give kisses
    Kim, Lord Sebastian, Sir Oliver, Remy Le Beau, and Gracie Lou <3

Wrinkle Wiper Become a 4 Paw Member flkjr2's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Z
    Likes (Received)

Hmmm...I havent yet but Z has only been on Grizzly's salmon oil for 2 weeks. Also the apple cider vinegar in his water for 2 weeks. I read that the apple cider vinegar helps with breath also. Hopefully everything workout for you...both products are great to use.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

i was thinking the same. my boston gets a fish smell from his butt when he needs his glands done. no sarah does not smell when i give it to her. if its not the glands then you can cut back a pump so like instead of 2 give 1 a day.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

@mendomama - I've not experienced this either. I will tell you though that these two are back on Grizzly Salmon Oil after being off for a few weeks. I did not realize WHAT A DIFFERENCE it made in shedding (firstly) and appearance in coat (secondly). Huge difference. We shall never go "off" the salmon oil ever again!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Uni & Boadie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cowsmom View Post
    i was thinking the same. my boston gets a fish smell from his butt when he needs his glands done. no sarah does not smell when i give it to her. if its not the glands then you can cut back a pump so like instead of 2 give 1 a day.
    How to you tell if they need the glands expressed? They are both young and never had this smell before the fish oil.
    In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.

Real Name
    Veronica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
    Likes (Received)

@mendomama What kind of tails do they have? Are they tight little screw tails? I'm thinking the fishy smell is not the grizzly salmon oil but their bottoms needing a good cleaning. Mac has a tight tail and I always kept it clean but it wasn't until a couple months ago that I noticed that an occassional wipe wasn't enough anymore because he had that fishy smell you're describing. Try first cleaning them out with baby wipes and then giving them a thorough drying with either witch hazel or rubbing alcohol. Sometimes I use a q-tip to put some Desitin up there as well. Good luck.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Uni & Boadie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by babybully View Post
    @mendomama What kind of tails do they have? Are they tight little screw tails? I'm thinking the fishy smell is not the grizzly salmon oil but their bottoms needing a good cleaning. Mac has a tight tail and I always kept it clean but it wasn't until a couple months ago that I noticed that an occassional wipe wasn't enough anymore because he had that fishy smell you're describing. Try first cleaning them out with baby wipes and then giving them a thorough drying with either witch hazel or rubbing alcohol. Sometimes I use a q-tip to put some Desitin up there as well. Good luck.
    They don't have much for tail pockets. I notice the smell right after a bath thou, and take special car to use soap and rinse under their tails then dry it very good too. I will start wiping there buts maybe more often and see if this helps.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mendomama View Post
    How to you tell if they need the glands expressed? They are both young and never had this smell before the fish oil.
    well sarah sits down and rocks back and forth and licks her paws when she needs them done. some will scoot along the floor. some will try to lick back there. if it continues you can always get them done and if nothings in there you will know its something else. or you could just stop the fish oil and see if it quits. some bullies need it and some dont. i have to get sarahs done once a month.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Samantha (Sam)
    Likes (Received)

I add a capsule at least 3 times a week and her coat looks awesome however no smells what so ever. Take the apple cider away may be is a bad combo.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tucker and Lottie
    Likes (Received)

I give one fish oil pill per day (1000mg) and I haven't noticed any fishy odors coming from my guys.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brie
    Likes (Received)

I just started using grizzly salmon oil, and can already tell a difference w Brie's coat.

What is apple cider vinegar in their water supposed to be good for???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads