General Question Fish Oil making But Stink

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
I have been giving Uni and Boadie both Grizzly Fish Oil for about a month now. I'm starting to notice a smell coming from their but. Not farts, but just a kind of fishy smell coming for under the tail area. I guessing this is from the fish oil. But the problem with that is I also started giving them apple cider vinegar at the same, so I'm not for sure. I have noticed that their fur has gotten shinier and softer since I began giving them these to things, so I don't want to stop, I am thinking of reduce the amount of fish oil I am giving them. I have been giving the recommended amount on the bottle. Does any body else notice a smell from fish oil?

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
just their breath when they come up to give kisses

flkjr2

Nov 24, 2012
Florissant, Missouri
Bulldog(s) Names
Z
Hmmm...I havent yet but Z has only been on Grizzly's salmon oil for 2 weeks. Also the apple cider vinegar in his water for 2 weeks. I read that the apple cider vinegar helps with breath also. Hopefully everything workout for you...both products are great to use.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i was thinking the same. my boston gets a fish smell from his butt when he needs his glands done. no sarah does not smell when i give it to her. if its not the glands then you can cut back a pump so like instead of 2 give 1 a day.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=3104]mendomama[/MENTION] - I've not experienced this either. I will tell you though that these two are back on Grizzly Salmon Oil after being off for a few weeks. I did not realize WHAT A DIFFERENCE it made in shedding (firstly) and appearance in coat (secondly). Huge difference. We shall never go "off" the salmon oil ever again!

OP
mendomama

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
i was thinking the same. my boston gets a fish smell from his butt when he needs his glands done. no sarah does not smell when i give it to her. if its not the glands then you can cut back a pump so like instead of 2 give 1 a day.
How to you tell if they need the glands expressed? They are both young and never had this smell before the fish oil.

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
[MENTION=3104]mendomama[/MENTION] What kind of tails do they have? Are they tight little screw tails? I'm thinking the fishy smell is not the grizzly salmon oil but their bottoms needing a good cleaning. Mac has a tight tail and I always kept it clean but it wasn't until a couple months ago that I noticed that an occassional wipe wasn't enough anymore because he had that fishy smell you're describing. Try first cleaning them out with baby wipes and then giving them a thorough drying with either witch hazel or rubbing alcohol. Sometimes I use a q-tip to put some Desitin up there as well. Good luck.

OP
mendomama

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
@mendomama What kind of tails do they have? Are they tight little screw tails? I'm thinking the fishy smell is not the grizzly salmon oil but their bottoms needing a good cleaning. Mac has a tight tail and I always kept it clean but it wasn't until a couple months ago that I noticed that an occassional wipe wasn't enough anymore because he had that fishy smell you're describing. Try first cleaning them out with baby wipes and then giving them a thorough drying with either witch hazel or rubbing alcohol. Sometimes I use a q-tip to put some Desitin up there as well. Good luck.

They don't have much for tail pockets. I notice the smell right after a bath thou, and take special car to use soap and rinse under their tails then dry it very good too. I will start wiping there buts maybe more often and see if this helps.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
How to you tell if they need the glands expressed? They are both young and never had this smell before the fish oil.
well sarah sits down and rocks back and forth and licks her paws when she needs them done. some will scoot along the floor. some will try to lick back there. if it continues you can always get them done and if nothings in there you will know its something else. or you could just stop the fish oil and see if it quits. some bullies need it and some dont. i have to get sarahs done once a month.

nando1301

May 6, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Samantha (Sam)
I add a capsule at least 3 times a week and her coat looks awesome however no smells what so ever. Take the apple cider away may be is a bad combo.

kgirl

Dec 12, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker and Lottie
I give one fish oil pill per day (1000mg) and I haven't noticed any fishy odors coming from my guys.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
I just started using grizzly salmon oil, and can already tell a difference w Brie's coat.

What is apple cider vinegar in their water supposed to be good for???

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Read it, thank you! Do you all highly recommended? I don't want to give her too much stuff

samnie

Jun 29, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
samnie
@mendomama - I've not experienced this either. I will tell you though that these two are back on Grizzly Salmon Oil after being off for a few weeks. I did not realize WHAT A DIFFERENCE it made in shedding (firstly) and appearance in coat (secondly). Huge difference. We shall never go "off" the salmon oil ever again!

samnie's vet prescribed her welactin about a month ago due to rashes (she thinks she has allergy of some sort but not sure why she didn't do an allergy test?!?!) and i noticed she was shedding more than before...her coat is softer and shinier but now i'm concerned about the shedding since you mentioned that it made a difference in yours.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online