General Question Bulldogs and Oranges: A Match Made in Hell?

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I had a strange experience today that I wanted to share to see if anyone has had a similar reaction.

Linus eats almost nothing other than dog food, peanut butter, and cheese. He's a finicky bulldog, especially when it comes to fruits and veggies, so imagine my surprise when I was eating orange segments and he began to take interest. Since he's never had an orange, I decided to give him a piece of one - and he liked it - so I gave him a few more. He had about 1/4 of a small orange - at the most.

Fast forward to this morning and Linus is in bad shape. He vomited after breakfast twice and then pooped three times, two of which were very runny. He proceeded to pant and shiver for the next hour while trying to get some rest before falling asleep.

I was with him until noon. I took him temp and looked at his gums and everything was fine but he seemed so ill - and the ONLY variable in his usual routine was the orange.

Of course, I immediately looked to see if oranges are bad for dogs but I found evidence to the contrary - a healthy snack. So what happened? Has anyone ever given their bully oranges? Any good or bad reactions?

Luckily, Linus ate some dinner and is doing much better now, snuggled up on the couch with momma. :)

brileythebully

Jan 17, 2013
Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Briley
My Briley loves oranges, and has never had any reaction to them. I share my orange with him whenever I have one, which isn't too often though lol!
I hope you find out what caused this, and am looking forward to the replies! I want to hear these opinions, because I don't want to feed my boy anything harmful!
I hope he gets to feeling better soon! :)

Tkelley

Oct 15, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Guinevere, Little Be
I hope he's feeling better now! I haven't fed Guinevere any oranges, but I used to share with my shephard/lab mix and she loved them! I'm looking forward to seeing what others have to say.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Otis eats half an orange every day. He loves it and it's good for him. It's a natural source of vitamin C and an excellent boost to his immune system.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk HD

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Perhaps the sudden boost to his blood sugar was the culprit?

Could it be? To add an additional twist to this mystery, he had a similar reaction - panting, vomiting - when I fed him baby carrots.

I realize these are foods that most bulldogs eat and love so I'm wondering what is it about certain fruits and perhaps veggies that causes Linus to feel unwell. Perhaps it is the sugar?

ame16

Oct 18, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor ('Elly')
Could it be? To add an additional twist to this mystery, he had a similar reaction - panting, vomiting - when I fed him baby carrots.

I realize these are foods that most bulldogs eat and love so I'm wondering what is it about certain fruits and perhaps veggies that causes Linus to feel unwell. Perhaps it is the sugar?

Probably not, actually, lol. I just re-read the OP and saw that he didn't start displaying these symptoms until the next day.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I let all 3 of my babies eat oranges, they do well with them and actually get excited when the smell one being peeled ... hope you are able to figure out what happened and that your baby is feeling better!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Your dog may have a problem digesting unprocessed plant matter. Dogs already have a deficiency in breaking down plant matter, that's why BARF enthusiasts always tell us to cook or deep freeze veggies before feeding to break down the binding in the p,ant matter. Your dog may possibly be much more intolerant than most.

But then, this is just a guess.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I only get the cuties (mandarin oranges) and HRH LOVES them. I've never noticed any kind of reaction.

But it's possible Linus is allergic. I don't think I'd give him a second try just to find out if I were you. It's so sad and scary when they're sick and can't tell you what the problem is.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
That is strange, but he could be allergic or just as anatess stated -- issue digesting. I knew a Cane Corso that was allergic to carrot and would break out in hives almost immediately.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.