General Question Earthborn holistic Grain Free

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
I started my boys on the Great Plains but have since switched over to the Meadow Feast. At the time I was trying to control Oliver's allergies and my boys are not that active so don't necessarily need the higher protein. In my opinion all the flavors of Earthborn are great as long as you know that your dog doesn't have an issue with the base protein

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I use it, Vegas was on Bison for a while and started getting red and yeasty, I switched to Lamb and he is doing really good on it.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I just started Lola this per request from her vet and she is on the bison because my vet thinks she is allergic to grain and chicken. I am scared to try turkey so I thought bison was a good choice. I love it and she loves it and although it has only been a few days I have noticed a huge difference! Her poop is solid one she was going several times a day now its once a day and she has pretty much no gas so far. Also I have a local company where I can get it for 45 the 28lb bag and Im all about local businesses!

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Oh and on the pet food adviser website it is a 5 star food so I think that is great when you think of the price for grain free dog food!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Jake has been on The Great Plains for about 6 months nd doing very well. He was on Fromm but can't have chicken or salmon and there were no other grain free options with them so we switched.

brileythebully

Jan 17, 2013
Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Briley
I am very partial on earthworm. From what I understood it was a great food, and I always recommended it (I worked at an independent pet store) until there was a time when all the bags we got in our shipment turned out to be moldy and this was only discovered once it was opened and the dogs had been eating it for a few days before getting very sick. There were SO MANY sick and hospitalized dogs, and one very close with us died. Earthborn didn't recall the food from what I remember, and did nothing for the families that had to go through this.
The weirdest part, none of the bags appeared different, or smelled different. When we got the returns and discovered it was mold we had to sift through all the bags (return to company purposes) and more times than not we found the mold in the middle/bottom of the bag, which was why the customers didn't realize it until it was too late.
Ever since then I do not trust earthborn, but I haven't heard or seen anything negative since then. It just freaked me out.
I don't want to freak anyone out or be offensive, just sharing my experience. That being said, anyone who feeds earthborn and have had no problems that is great! But I personally wouldn't be able to feed it. However, if I never experienced this first hand I would still totally recommend it. There's just so many things we don't know about some companies, it bothers me just thinking about it!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I am very partial on earthworm. From what I understood it was a great food, and I always recommended it (I worked at an independent pet store) until there was a time when all the bags we got in our shipment turned out to be moldy and this was only discovered once it was opened and the dogs had been eating it for a few days before getting very sick. There were SO MANY sick and hospitalized dogs, and one very close with us died. Earthborn didn't recall the food from what I remember, and did nothing for the families that had to go through this.
The weirdest part, none of the bags appeared different, or smelled different. When we got the returns and discovered it was mold we had to sift through all the bags (return to company purposes) and more times than not we found the mold in the middle/bottom of the bag, which was why the customers didn't realize it until it was too late.
Ever since then I do not trust earthborn, but I haven't heard or seen anything negative since then. It just freaked me out.
I don't want to freak anyone out or be offensive, just sharing my experience. That being said, anyone who feeds earthborn and have had no problems that is great! But I personally wouldn't be able to feed it. However, if I never experienced this first hand I would still totally recommend it. There's just so many things we don't know about some companies, it bothers me just thinking about it!

Wow! This is weird because they guarantee every bag and will issue full refund if not happy. Why didn't these people contact Earthborne? I sure would've. All my bags have a double seal and are vacuum packed with reclosable bags. there isn't even residue on the bottom of my bags. I recycle them and cut out the special label to plant trees so I ALWAYS see the inside of the bag. I am going to forward this to their customer service dept. I've never had so much as a torn bag or broken seal. And I order from Petflow...which puts another handler in the process.

brileythebully

Jan 17, 2013
Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Briley
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] I know the woman who's dog died contacted them, but am not sure about the other customers. I found it very weird too because they were always so great to our store and customers, and I never even heard a complaint until this incident which is why I'm partial. I do believe they make a good food, but this just scared me! I don't know how far customers took it with contacting, or how far my boss/store owner took it.
I know when food companies start to become big they aren't as friendly with small independent stores, so I don't know if this had anything to do with them not being concerned or if they really were just trying to cover up a bad batch. (As far as we knew it was just that one shipment to our store that had this result)
If you do contact them I'd love to know why they say, and by the way this was about a year ago.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I fed Primitive Natural flavor for about 4 months with no issues. I switched to raw for several reasons - they changed the formula on the Primitive Natural, Angus' digestion changed on me (may or may not be caused by the formula change), and I've wanted to go raw for a super duper looooong time and finally took the plunge.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ive used this food with no problems the bison and the fish one so perhaps it was just one batch. will be interesting what they say to jakeisgreat contacting them with this.

brileythebully

Jan 17, 2013
Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Briley
Okay, so I contacted the girl I used to work with who dealt with the majority of that incident just to make sure my facts were right and to get the for sure end result. Everything I said was correct, except this is her reply to me when I asked if I had my story straight and if they credited only the store back.

"Yes and they denied it being their fault because it resulted from poor storage and transportation. Earthborn doesn't use enough preservatives to make the food last so it molds quickly like I guess cheese. There are law suits pending."

Just thought I would share the end result of the incident since I wasn't completely sure before.

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
Wow, that is surprising! I am currently transitioning Petunia to the Earthborn Holistics Meadow Feast. But just today, she threw up all her food. However, I say that with the caveat that she is only getting 1/4 cup earthborn and 1 cup Pure Vita Salmon and Sweet Potato. Not sure if she has a bug or not. We are watching her closely.

I usually don't store my food in the container it came in. I normally pour it into a air-tight container and see all the food when I open the package. I have only bought a small bag of the Earthborn Holistics but I will be sure to check it all out once I make the complete switch.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I like the idea that there isn't any preservatives! People food can be bad for you so the fact that this food is fresh and no extra stuff works for me! The bag I just bought is my first my is came vacuum sealed with a reusable seal. I love this food!

brileythebully

Jan 17, 2013
Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Briley
[MENTION=6915]Valentine215[/MENTION] I do hope she does well on it! And if there are any problems, you will catch them since you dot store your food in the original bag. (Neither do I, its easier in the bin!) and I think if it had something to do with bad food, you would have seen it because you bought a small bag. Maybe her stomach is upset with the transition, or maybe the transition needs to be done slower? I'm not sure. I hope her tummy feels better and hope this food works for her!!
[MENTION=5264]sweetpeasmom2008[/MENTION] I kind of like that as well, and that might be a big reason they have a good reputation for food. I'm happy to hear your bully (and everyone else who feeds earthborn) are doing well on it! But there being no preservatives makes sense why it was molded now that I know that part of it. It still freaks me out that it molded like that, but I guess just like with the food we eat we gotta watch it!

Everyone else, I do think earthborn is a good food, and again I don't want my post to offend anyone or scare them away from feeding their bully something that may potentially work wonders for them! I guess what I mean is, try the food with caution. But I guess that really is every food.
A good example would be, we have been feeding TOTW to my families dogs for years and they have never had a problem and it works great for them despite all the diamond recalls.
Whatever works for your dog, stick with it! :)

I hope that long post makes sense and sorry for the rambling on lmao!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.