Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Look into The Honest Kitchen... two option at less than 10% fat

Preference and Zeal

Zeal has everything -- you add hot water and wait 5 mins. then feed

Preference -- you add the protien of your choice. mix and feed

Sandy @cowsmom loves this stuff

No but I am looking into it.. so he is currently getting sirlion ( extra lean and rice ) I can just add some green beans ?? sorry so new to all of this home cooking stuff.
I am also going to look into the other two suggestions but in the meantime I don't like feeding him just rice and sirlion..

thanks everyone!!!!

There is nothing wrong with feeding him just rice and ground beef for the rest of his life. Ground beef, chicken, turkey, veal... whatever is on sale at your grocery store is fine and he will love it. As long as you balance it out with other nutrients like the spinach I suggested or other vegetables like green beans, peas or carrots. Green leafy veggies are best for him but anything is fine. Always blanch the vegetables before feeding them to him. Blanching starts the breakdown process of the cellulose layer around the vegetable and allows the body to break down the rest.

You can switch out the rice from time to time with other starches like pasta, oatmeal or potatoes. What you want to do is add extra water or broth to overcook it. Over cooked rice or pasta is easier to digest and his system has been through enough these past few weeks, his body can use the break. :)

Experiment with it.. see what he likes and what he doesn't. That's the beauty of making your own dog food, you control what goes in there and if he doesn't like something it's easily switched it out for something he does like. You can buy regular ground beef, you don't have to buy the lean cuts as long as you boil the meat to remove as much fat as possible.

If you choose to cook for them the one thing you absolutely must do is add a calcium supplement. Ground egg shells are the most digestible & cheapest option and it never, ever expires. Get yourself a cheap coffee grinder. I picked one up from Sears for 9 bucks. Those egg shells that you would normally throw away? Wash them out, put them on a paper plate and leave them on the window sill overnight to dry. Grind them up the next morning and mix it into his food. 1/2 tsp a day will keep his bones and muscles strong and healthy.

I was home cooking for my guys and they were doing great. Abby lived and thrived for as long as she did because of it. I plan to start again soon. I just can't look at the pot just yet but as soon as I can I will start cooking for them again. I need to kick myself in the butt a little harder, Otis is starting to get tear stains and a little chubby around the middle :cursing:

Blue Buffalo Wilderness is 6 star on the dog food rating. Their Healthy Weight and Senior formulas are at 10%.

I was going to suggest this. If kibble is what makes you comfortable you can buy a bag designed for seniors but check the protein level in what you buy. Seniors have much lower protein requirements than young or even adult dogs so you may have to supplement that with some meat. Also make sure to give him a multi vitamin every day because his body still needs things that older dogs don't.

Last edited:
OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Sandy @cowsmom loves this stuff

There is nothing wrong with feeding him just rice and ground beef for the rest of his life. Ground beef, chicken, turkey, veal... whatever is on sale at your grocery store is fine and he will love it. As long as you balance it out with other nutrients like the spinach I suggested or other vegetables like green beans, peas or carrots. Green leafy veggies are best for him but anything is fine. Always blanch the vegetables before feeding them to him. Blanching starts the breakdown process of the cellulose layer around the vegetable and allows the body to break down the rest.

You can switch out the rice from time to time with other starches like pasta, oatmeal or potatoes. What you want to do is add extra water or broth to overcook it. Over cooked rice or pasta is easier to digest and his system has been through enough these past few weeks, his body can use the break. :)

Experiment with it.. see what he likes and what he doesn't. That's the beauty of making your own dog food, you control what goes in there and if he doesn't like something it's easily switched it out for something he does like. You can buy regular ground beef, you don't have to buy the lean cuts as long as you boil the meat to remove as much fat as possible.

If you choose to cook for them the one thing you absolutely must do is add a calcium supplement. Ground egg shells are the most digestible & cheapest option and it never, ever expires. Get yourself a cheap coffee grinder. I picked one up from Sears for 9 bucks. Those egg shells that you would normally throw away? Wash them out, put them on a paper plate and leave them on the window sill overnight to dry. Grind them up the next morning and mix it into his food. 1/2 tsp a day will keep his bones and muscles strong and healthy.

I was home cooking for my guys and they were doing great. Abby lived and thrived for as long as she did because of it. I plan to start again soon. I just can't look at the pot just yet but as soon as I can I will start cooking for them again. I need to kick myself in the butt a little harder, Otis is starting to get tear stains and a little chubby around the middle :cursing:

I was going to suggest this. If kibble is what makes you comfortable you can buy a bag designed for seniors but check the protein level in what you buy. Seniors have much lower protein requirements than young or even adult dogs so you may have to supplement that with some meat. Also make sure to give him a multi vitamin every day because his body still needs things that older dogs don't.

amazing info thank you so much!!!!!!!!!! :muah2:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
aw karen im late as i was at work all day but home cooking or what 2bullymama said with the honest kitchen is what i would do. if you must feed kibble i will pick you some out. [MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION]

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Just FYI, my Bella has pancreatic issues. There is a website that breaks down all the foods with fat and protein content. It will make it easier to start there. Epi4dogs.com

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Just FYI, my Bella has pancreatic issues. There is a website that breaks down all the foods with fat and protein content. It will make it easier to start there. Epi4dogs.com

the diet for EPI is pretty much exactly the same as feeding for pancreatis. If it works for Bella it will work for Duke :)

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Processed dog food makes the pancreas work harder so a dog with pancreatitis is better off going off of kibble and on to a natural diet. Carbs also makes the pancreas work harder, so low carbs - grain free - is a better option. If you are open to the home-made dog food for the rest of your dog's life, check out the raw food section of EBN. Lots of people here have their dogs on it. There are different methods that people follow. I just started my dogs on Prey-Model nutrition (no plant matter except for treats). Your dog will probably do well in this type of nutrition as you have full control of the fat content of the meat and the model is intended for the easiest digestability in canines. I'm biased though because I'm new to this (only been feeding this to my dogs for a week) and everything has been great so far.

Members online

No members online now.