Help Needed! so frustrated need to find a new food for Duke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Hi everyone
Many of you know from the health thread my poor Duke was hospitalized last week and diagnosed with pancreatitis in dogs.. :(
We are so happy he is really recovering well. I spoke to the vet this morning and I have to put Duke on a lower fat diet.
He was on Natures Variety Instinct ( beef dry and the duck wet ) he has done so well on this BUT the fat content is too high its 20 %

they told us today that the max fat content should be 10 % I looked into the praire line and that is high as well. someone suggested

California Natural low fat and it is perfect according to the guidlines the fat content is low and protein is good for Duke but only 3 stars??

Open to suggestions.. I am just not sure what is more important the low fat item ( I would never want him to experience what he went through last week ) but want to give him good quality food.

thanks for any input

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:hug: --- to start that road all over again is so frustrating especially since he was doing so well with that food. Have you looked at any of the Fromm line?

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
its crazy the canned foods are very low fat its the kibble I am having a problem with.. the prescription diet that the vet has is 2 % but no nutritional value.. all the fromm's are 10 % or higher and so many ingedients.. I am nervous with Duke.. he did well on the NVI because it was grain free. I am going to keep researching. I can put him on the california Natural low fat until I find something .. he has been eating lean ground sirlion and rice since Thursday .. no dog food at all.

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
I use Natural Balance limited ingredient fish and potato. Ruckus has been on this since he had constipation issues a year ago. I know it is not rated very high, but I just checked and its 10% fat. I actually was looking to switch but I'm nervous because other than slight tear stains, and our new dogs gas, things are going well.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Not much to add other than do be careful with California Natural as they were purchased by P&G about 2 years ago and they are notorious for changing ingredients to make cheaper food without telling consumers!

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
ugh! I just called the vet back ( who I really love and respect ) but I don't think he realizes what we went through to find a food that works.
he suggested putting duke back on Dick Van Pattens ( natural balance ) Duck and potato its about a middle grade. Duke did do well on it .. he just said the more important thing right now for Duke is the low fat issue we don't want to have any flare ups.. I am going to add the blue berries and spinach as suggested.

thoughts?

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
ugh! I just called the vet back ( who I really love and respect ) but I don't think he realizes what we went through to find a food that works.
he suggested putting duke back on Dick Van Pattens ( natural balance ) Duck and potato its about a middle grade. Duke did do well on it .. he just said the more important thing right now for Duke is the low fat issue we don't want to have any flare ups.. I am going to add the blue berries and spinach as suggested.

thoughts?

This is the Natural Balance I mentioned. Our vet recommended too. I was glad he recommended this instead of the science diet lol. They do have other proteins like venison or bison too. Check out their website, maybe that will help you.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Look into The Honest Kitchen... two option at less than 10% fat

Preference and Zeal

Zeal has everything -- you add hot water and wait 5 mins. then feed

Preference -- you add the protien of your choice. mix and feed

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Have you thought about just home cooking for him, and not giving him kibble at all? You can use the same recipe sirloin and rice, or another protein source, and a package of frozen mixed vegetables, and green beans.

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Have you thought about just home cooking for him, and not giving him kibble at all? You can use the same recipe sirloin and rice, or another protein source, and a package of frozen mixed vegetables, and green beans.

No but I am looking into it.. so he is currently getting sirlion ( extra lean and rice ) I can just add some green beans ?? sorry so new to all of this home cooking stuff.
I am also going to look into the other two suggestions but in the meantime I don't like feeding him just rice and sirlion..

thanks everyone!!!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Yes you can use just home cooking to feed Duke, when you use this method you know what ingredients are in the food, and there are no artificial additives or chemicals. You can continue to use the sirloin, or I use ground beef and brown it in water no oil or fat, then a whole bag of mixed frozen vegetables and also about a cup or handful of cooked fresh green beans, and rice. You can make a big batch all at once and divide it into portions and freeze it, or you can keep it in the fridge for up to 3 days. I feed my 2 guys kibble in the morning, and home cooked in the evening, so half and half. Here are a lot of good recipes you can find on the Internet, or you can ask Desertskybulldogs , or Cowsmom , as they have a lot of experience with dog foods, and home cooking. Good luck, and I hope you find something that Duke can tolerate. Keep us posted as to what you found and how he's doing.

Taskmasta

Jan 30, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Rolo
Blue Buffalo Wilderness is 6 star on the dog food rating. Their Healthy Weight and Senior formulas are at 10%.

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Blue Buffalo Wilderness is 6 star on the dog food rating. Their Healthy Weight and Senior formulas are at 10%.

thank you .. My husband and I are going to make a chart tonight and do some more research and then decide.. in the meantime going to add some veggies to his sirlion I feel like he is starving.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.