Help Needed! Has anyone tried this food?

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Petcurean go! Sensitivity+Shine Salmon Recipe Dry Dog Food. I am thinking about trying this, but I am nervous because it's not grain free. I had Winston on Natures Variety Limited Ingredient Lamb but he seems to have an allergy to it. In between his paws he has some swelling that no matter what I do won't go down. So we tried home cooking for the past few weeks. I made him hamburger, green beans, and kidney beans. He got yeasty folds. I thought YES i had figured it out it was an allergy to beans. So I then switched to hamburger, cabbage, and tomatoes he was ok for a couple of days and boom he has a yucky nose rope again. I have tried proteins, chicken, duck, turkey, and now beef. Nothing is taking the swelling down! I have tried the soaks, acv, & preparation H. My only other idea before the allergy testing is to get rid of all the meat based proteins and see if it works? I am at a complete loss here, please help!! He has no other issues with the NVI besides the swollen paws could it possibly not be a food allergy??? I am open to any suggestions! Thank you!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I haven't heard of it either but it sounds like it may not be just food allergies at play here - I hate to say it but it's true. Food allergies are only something like 10% of all allergies dogs experience. Of course having them on quality foods will show an improvement in coat and overall health as eating well does, but so many of these things are allergies from the environment, which are much harder to control.

Short of an allergy test, you might give that new brand a try but make sure it has NOTHING that your bully has eaten before - so different starch and protein all together - and see how it goes.

Let us know!

CeeJay

Feb 4, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hi Lauren31287,

It would be worth giving the GO! Sensitivity + Shine Salmon a try for a couple of reasons. First, Salmon is the only protein source and appears to be one that you have not yet tried. Secondly, while there are grains in this diet, they are grains considered to be hypoallergenic. Oats/Oatmeal is widely accepted as very easily digested, and quinoa and kamut are ancient grains he has not likely been exposed to, making them a 'novel' carbohydrate. Give it a week or so and see how he does. If you are still having issues with reactions, then probably testing for dietary sensitivities or allergies would be a good idea.

CeeJay

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thank you everyone! I think I am going to give the home cooking a few more days and if he doesn't clear up I will be scheduling the allergy test.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i would get an allergy test done for sure. i had the same problem with sarah with the interdigital cysts before i had her tested and i had her on like 20 different foods with no luck. i do believe that environmental allergies are at play here to. i have sarah on food that she is not allergic to yet she sometimes gets red paws anyway. have you tried some benadryl or zyrtec. benadryl is 1 pill per 25 pound dog. you may also want to try some duoxo ps shampoo to soak the feet in like 2 or 3 times a week. also duoxo pads or malaket for the nose rope is good to when they get yeasty. ok now for the food. i have used this food personally with sarah. she is allergic to oats and kelp i found out so this didnt work for her but this is a good line of food. my only problem with it is the very low protein in it. its like 22% and to me that is to low for a bully. i would try it and you can always add some protein to it later if it does good for your bully. also watch the potatoes in here as some bullies get yeasty with them and that must be new as i dont recall them being there before. i would say try it and then go from there.

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
i would get an allergy test done for sure. i had the same problem with sarah with the interdigital cysts before i had her tested and i had her on like 20 different foods with no luck. i do believe that environmental allergies are at play here to. i have sarah on food that she is not allergic to yet she sometimes gets red paws anyway. have you tried some benadryl or zyrtec. benadryl is 1 pill per 25 pound dog. you may also want to try some duoxo ps shampoo to soak the feet in like 2 or 3 times a week. also duoxo pads or malaket for the nose rope is good to when they get yeasty. ok now for the food. i have used this food personally with sarah. she is allergic to oats and kelp i found out so this didnt work for her but this is a good line of food. my only problem with it is the very low protein in it. its like 22% and to me that is to low for a bully. i would try it and you can always add some protein to it later if it does good for your bully. also watch the potatoes in here as some bullies get yeasty with them and that must be new as i dont recall them being there before. i would say try it and then go from there.

Thank you so much! As it looks right now I will be calling the vet to see if they can do the test on him when he goes in next week for his visit. I do think environmental is part of it too, I do give him benedryl and it works wonders! I also have the shampoo & love the malaket wipes for his nose rope!! those things are amazing! i have tried the duoxo ones before also. I will wait until he gets the test done before I try to switch anything again but it is good to know that it is a good food! I had never heard of it before and while I was doing research I came across it. Thank you so much for the info!! I can't wait to just have some answers for my poor baby!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.