General Question Green Tripe...

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Green tripe is an excellent source of nutrients can be a little rich initially and possible loose stools. Some have a hard time finding green tripe and it smells! I buy in bulk @ .40cents per lb! . Are you considering feeding raw? I am a raw feeder and my 10 month bully thrives on it! Please let me know what questions you have.

OP
Coach

Coach

Dec 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel
.40 a lb! Thats awsome! I found a coop here in Florida and its over $1 per lb. They also have something called green tripe patties that are a 1.40. I am considering it and trying to compile as much info as I can. I need to believe I can find an economical, trusted source of meat and then mainly learn how to store it. Id rather spend a Sunday making a months worth of food than handle it everyday. Not sure if thats even feasible.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
[MENTION=7451]Coach[/MENTION] I found a meat processing company in Wisconsin through a coop the prices are awesome! I buy all meat in bulk usually 200-300lb at a time as I have to drive 2hrs each way for meat. I break everything down into gallon size freezer bags and deep freeze it, it comes frozen but I have to let it semi thaw for couple hours to break it down. The gallon size freezer bags are perfect. Because they hold about 7-10 days worth of food. You really don't want it sitting thawed in your fridge any longer as it will smell terrible. Although when the meat gets a little stinky I swear duchess like it. Better!

OP
Coach

Coach

Dec 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel
Ok, I think I understand the trial and error in feedin, in genaral. As far as raw feeding, what are the fundamentals? Where do I start? How do I progress? I understand this can be complex but I'd like to k.i.s.s.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
[MENTION=7451]Coach[/MENTION]
Great choice on going raw. I would start off slow with the chicken backs, chicken necks are good too. In terms of the bone:meat ratio you really just need to monitor the stool. If it comes out super crumbly like dry dirt or he is straining to go add some meat. I like to use hearts, it is a muscle not an organ and is usually cheap. I can get turkey hearts for .40cents lb., pig hearts usually around $1 lb. Are there any coops in your area? I googled and found a raw food coop on yahoo in my area and they turned me onto meat processors in my area that I would have never found and wow they are inexpensive! Once you see stools are good for a couple weeks you can slowly introduce other proteins. My staples for bone are whole ground turkey, I get this already ground from a meat processor as my grinder wouldn't handle it. Whole ground salmon, whole ground duck, rabbit. Rabbit, chicken, duck, salmon are all soft enough to grind at home. Then like I said I use hearts to add as protein based on how stool is. Duchess is 10months 52# and super lean! I feed her twice a day 8oz each feeding. Now I don't really give fruits and veggies. I did initially when I converted from pre packaged raw to home raw. I caused a yeast infection and triggered an allergy. I added too much too fast I made a huge mixture of stuff so there's was no way to Pin point it. After speaking with people in my raw food coop, some of which who have been raw feeding for 10+ years, I decided to cut fruits and veggies. Dogs can't process fruits and veggies so if u decide to feed fruits and veggies you have to put them in a food processor and then freeze them to break down the cell walls otherwise your dog will receive zero benefit. I occasionally feed chopped cilantro(has antifungal properties to battle yeast), spinach, and romaine lettuce. Iceberg lettuce serves no benefit romaine lettuce is rich in vitamins. Like I said I do this if it's in the house and on the verge of not being used or I remember while @ grocery store. I wouldn't add organs such as kidney and liver untill after a couple months of good stool on a couple different proteins. They are only suppose to make up 10% of diet so I buy liver and kidney grind it up and. Break down in to sandwich baggies with 1 week supplies. I feed 1 tablespoon each feeding which is about 1oz each feeding. I started using a scale but now can pretty much eye everything. Organs are important as that's where they get the bulk of their vitamins and minerals. I also use a powdered probiotic that also. Obtains digestive enzymes each feeding. This really helps them process all food absorb all nutrients. I use apple cider vinegar each feeding. I also alternate salmon oil and coconut oil each feeding. I recently started using a daily multivitamin and also a hip and joint supplement. This is purely by choice and not really necessary. Remember start slowing when Introducing new proteins and supplements as to not cause digestive upset. Hope this helps, I'm sure I forgot couple things so please don't hesitate to ask questions, I'll do my best to help. I'm such a raw advocate after seeing the changes it made in my girl. Also forgot to mention I aim to keep my overall meal cost @ $1 per lb and beleive it or not I'm usually less than that! The coops are amazing! Also [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] is a very knowledgeable raw feeder. Good luck!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.