Help Needed! Yeasty problem = Food switch

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
My pup is just over a year old and has been eating Fromm's Grain Free since he was 4 month. I usually feed Beef Frittata but will alternate in other flavors for variety. I've been pleased with this food but lately he's been having issues with nose rolls, face & chin irritation, as well as excessive shedding. I've been adamant about cleaning his face. I've used Malacetic wipes, Duoxo pads, witch hazel, Monistat and ACV but I'm not getting it under control. I've concluded that it may be time to try a food switch with less potatoes. After researching EBN I've found 2 options that I'm considering: Nature's Variety Instinct and Blue Wilderness Duck. Does anyone have any thought on these foods or any other suggestions?

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Have you tried a food that is free of sweet potatoes and potatoes as a starch?

I'm not sure what the starch in Fromm is but I had a similar issue with my bully and I discovered that by eliminating the potatoes from the food (which can be linked to excessive yeast), made a huge different. I fed TOTW and now I feed NVI LID Turkey formula and haven't had a problem with tear stains since.

luis323

Jan 15, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco Chanel
Im having the same problem with my bully. Only her right side she has tear stain. It looks eww. Im trying to find a way to get rid of asap.
Im feeding her Blue Wilderness Puppy ( blue bag ).

Kahnefan5

Dec 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian & Thatcher RIP--Cutter 12/01/2003-04/06/2012 & Tug 07/03/2006-07/19/2010
I found this tear stain solution on English Bulldog News, I can't swear by it as I just started it yesterday, but here it is:

mix equal parts: cornstarch, hydrogene peroxide & milk of magnesia into a paste and rub it on the tear stain (becareful not to get into the eyes) and leave on for two hours, clean off and apply a little amount of Desitin, you do this every OTHER day. I used a tablespoon of each in the mixture and had plenty left over, so you could probably get away with a half of teaspoon of each.

The person who posted this said within 6 days the tear stains were gone, as I stated above I can't swear by this as Thatcher had his first application yesterday and to be honest I am not sure if I applied enough as he was not sitting still, so when I do the 2nd application tomorrow I will have to have my husband hold his head still so I can apply it better.

I am currently feeding him Taste of the Wild Pacific Puppy Stream, but looking to switch to either Fromm or NVI LID Turkey as the previous poster is using and after reading her post, I am leaning towards NVI LID Turkey.

Good luck!

OP
Corlando465

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I'm not having tear stain problems as much as red irritated folds and red chin. Sometimes the deep folds have small amount of "slime" in them. :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Deestar

Mar 2, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
I'm using NVI salmon and all of Lucy's allergy symptoms have gone away. I'm sure it was the elimination of potatoes that did the trick. She did have a bout of loose stools when she started on it but it was because I was giving her too much. Now all is good!

OP
Corlando465

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Thanks for the info. I was worried that I would have a difficult time finding it, but my favorite store had NVI right across the aisle from Fromms. :) I'm very hopeful that this will help. The bag even mentions that it is good for dogs with allergies.

I'll start the slow switch tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Wayne Sorensen

Jan 18, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Corlando, I'm with you on the yeast thing, our 3 year old we adopted from our SPCA is yeast INFECTED! We've had her for about 6 weeks now. When we got her a friend who has 2 EB's highly recommended Natures Variety Instinct Raw. She shared her experiences of spending more than $10,000 on vet bills for her one BD who had every health issue a EB could have. This was enough to scare me to get the best for ours. So we made the switch about a month ago to Natures Variety Instinct Raw and although I've seen some improvement in her health she's not yet where we want her to be. It's a challenge for sure. My thoughts are for us, we'll use up this 23.5lb bag and see where we are then. I was told to absolutely go Grain Fee. I looked at the forum's food recommendations and Natures Variety ranked 2nd behind the brand i'll switch too if and when we decide to switch. The name escapes me at the moment but I've done a littler research on it and it seems like some good stuff. Anyway, if you find the secret weapon that clears this yeast thing please share.

Good Luck, Wayne

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
My pup is just over a year old and has been eating Fromm's Grain Free since he was 4 month. I usually feed Beef Frittata but will alternate in other flavors for variety.

You say you feed Fromm grain free ... but there are three different flavours that are grain free and only ONE of those is actually chicken free and that is the Beef Frittata. All the other flavours have some chicken in them.

Before you move away from Fromm I would consider the possibility that you have a bully with some small allergy to something. And chicken does seem to be very common.

I say this because I made the decision to switch between the flavours to make it more interesting. And everything was completely fine until I decided to try the chicken n veg one. DISASTER!!!! Within a couple of weeks Maggie had hot spots around her mouth, ear infections, interdigital cysts, and her entire face smelt just SO bad!!! Didn't take too long to realise she had an allergy to chicken. So back to the beef frittata we went and there we stayed.

I made the same mistake with Bella Bear a few months ago. Since Maggie passed away I had stayed on the Beef Frittata but decided to once again play around with a few flavours to give them variety as Daddy seemed ok and so did Linus. Then I tried the Salmon for a couple of bags .......... DISASTER Part 2 ... all the hair on top of Bellas head started to fall out!!! Vet said it was an allergy to something .... ermmm............ ooppsss.... back to beef again!!!

luis323

Jan 15, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco Chanel
I notice my bully had some tear stains prior to me changing her to Blue Wilderness Puppy.
A grain-free, high-protein diet food with more of the chicken puppies love.

I dont think the food is the cause of this. I just order some
[h=1]Douxo Chlorhexidine 3% PS Pads[/h]
If this doesn't work, I Might have to change the food.
Any other good foods out there?

OP
Corlando465

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
@kazzy Thanks for the info, but Beef Frittata has been his main food source with some rotating between Game bird and Salmon, always watching for chicken content, as I know it can add more problems. I've even starting making his own treats so I can monitor the contents.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
@kazzy Thanks for the info, but Beef Frittata has been his main food source with some rotating between Game bird and Salmon, always watching for chicken content, as I know it can add more problems. I've even starting making his own treats so I can monitor the contents.

Both the game bird and salmon have chicken in it ... not that I'm saying it's a chicken allergy. It's just something to consider too.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.