General Question Opinion Needed on Food Choices for Bully with Adult Onset Allergies

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
As some of you know, my oldest bulldog Linus, who turned 7 on January 10th, experienced a flare up of allergies in the past year.

He had allergies before that mostly manifested themselves with ear infections. After doing some research and testing, I switched Linus to Nature's Variety Instinct LID Turkey formula. His coat became silky and soft and his ear infections all but disappeared.

Things were going along swimmingly for a year and a half and I tried to make a food change to Earthborne. Linus did terrible on it so I switched him back to NVI and he never was the same. He is SO itchy and missing patches of fur everywhere. He has been tested for adult mange and other skin conditions, which are all negative. Benadryl, Zyrtec, Hydroxyzine, and all the usual antihistamines haven't worked so I am thinking of a food change.

Our vet said if food allergies develop, it usually happens around age 6 - which would make sense - but I'm not sure what food to go to at this point. I'm hoping for something that is a new protein and doesn't contain potatoes or sweet potatoes. I am not open to feeding raw.

Anyone else with a bully with adult onset allergies? Any food recommendations for my unique situation?

Thanks for any advice!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Have you tried the lamb formula?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Try FROMM Beef Fritata sp. or their Game Bird formula.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I switched Vegas from NVI to Earhbourne Bison because he too started not doing so well on NVI, He did horrible. I then switched to Fromm and he did worse. I switched back to Earthbourne Lamb and he has done great so far on it. Maybe like Lisa said, try the lamb??

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Have you thought about Fromm Game Bird or Beef Friatta (this does have potato, but it is ingredient number 9 or 10)

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Thanks everyone - I've had him on lamb, turkey and beef (all NVI) in the last year so maybe I should give Fromm a try with just beef (the NVI formula had beef and lamb) or maybe the game bird. I'm not sure it'll make a difference but Linus' allergies are pretty bad and I'm one appointment away from putting him on cyclosporine just like Truman. The thing that gets me is it all started suddenly - like he turned 6 and something just snapped - whereas Truman always was very itchy. **Sigh**

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online