Help Needed! Input needed on stomach issue/food

Deestar

Mar 2, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
A few weeks ago I started giving Lucy a little more food because she was on the thin side. I was giving her one cup, twice a day. Now I'm giving her an extra 1/4 cup per feeding, so she's now getting 2 1/2 cups per day. Coincidentally, right around the same time that I started giving her more food I was in the beginning stages of transitioning her over from Wellness 5 Mix Lamb to Nature's Variety Instinct Grain Free Salmon.

Her poops haven't been firm since all this started and now that she's off the Wellness and solely on the NVI, (about 2 days) they have been very loose. She's also going 4 times a day instead of her usual 3 and it's more poop than usual.

I'm going to do the bland diet for a few days to give her tummy a rest but what I'm wondering is......what is the more likely culprit? The increased food? Or something in the NVI? I hate to go back to giving her just 1 cup per feeding because she's very, very active and seems to need it.

Here are some pics I took today to see what you guys think of her weight. She's 15 months old and 40 pounds. The vet says she's in great condition, maybe a tiny bit thin but that it is not necessarily a bad thing. When I saw her breeder recently he said he was surprised that she wasn't broader across the chest by now. I've seen pics of a bunch of her ancestors and they were all, including her parents, the typical roundish, broad chested bullies at this same age, while she is more bullet shaped.

IMG_2226_zps86392a63.jpg

IMG_2223_zps3313933f.jpg

IMG_2230_zps688030ba.jpg

Sorry so much info in one post. Thanks for any input!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I could never increase Jake more than 1 cup each feeding. It immediately affected his poo. I would cut back the amount to the original..and add pumpkin. You should never do two changes at once.. Only because then you don't know which caused problem. But if you are doing a slow transition then I would continue with that and go back to regular amount. :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
OK the top pic, she does look a little underweight, but not much. Try just giving her 3/4 cup twice a day of the new food and see if her poop hardens a bit and if it does you can increase a little. Most good quality foods will require less at feeding times. We only feed our adult females 3/4 cup twice a day and they maintain their weight. I will tag one of our food experts and have her input on it. [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION].

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
She looks like my Lola does! Lola has a very narrow waist as well but vet says she is fine. I would decrease her food again and see if poop hardens.

OP
Deestar

Deestar

Mar 2, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Thanks for the replies! Do you guys think I should do the bland diet for a few days, or just go back to the smaller feeding to see if too much food was the culprit?

Last edited:

ame16

Oct 18, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor ('Elly')
I would go back to 1 cup per feeding. It sounds to me like she is getting too much food right now.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
if you are already doing the bland diet then continue for a few days then start adding the kibble back in and decrease the amount of feeding. you can give her some other things once she is settled on the food a bit. things like banana strawberries some beef treats to fatten her up if you wish. she does look at bit thin but fine really. if you have not started the bland diet then just decrease the amount of kibble and go from there.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for the replies! Do you guys think I should do the bland diet for a few days, or just go back to the smaller feeding to see if too much food was the culprit?

Too many changes can make it worse... just go back to smaller feeds as others have suggested

OP
Deestar

Deestar

Mar 2, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
I haven't started the bland diet yet so tomorrow I'll just start with the smaller portions.

Next time I'll post here BEFORE I try something new. :ashamed:

Thank you all! Will post back the results.

OP
Deestar

Deestar

Mar 2, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Reporting back after two full days of decreased portions. After a watery stool at noon yesterday and a formed but not firm stool last night, she had a pretty firm one this morning. Whoo hoo! I'm doing the dance of joy because the NVI is really working for her in other aspects........ allergies, chin bumps, etc. and I would have really HATED trying yet another food.

Thank you! I knew I'd get good advice here.

:excited:

PapaSmurf2

Bike riding, bully loving soldier
Jan 21, 2013
Hattiesburg MS
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie
Great news.....the table spoon of pumpkin is a miracle worker if she ever gets loose again. I'll always keep some on hand here!!!!

OP
Deestar

Deestar

Mar 2, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Ugh, after a few days of good stools, they are loose again. The one first thing in the morning is firm but the other two, at lunch time and before bed, are loose. She's had nothing but the NVI salmon, not even any treats. Could it be that it's too rich for her? Or should I start suspecting a salmon allergy?

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
If she still doesnt have solid poops it may be the new food. It could be the switch was done too quick (that happened with Chanel my non bully) I would go to the bland diet for a few days and see how she does! Hope everything works out :hugs:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.