Default Re: Input needed on stomach issue/food

Yeah, I was doing the pumpkin too.

Real Name
    Dee
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lucy
    Likes (Received)

Ugh, after a few days of good stools, they are loose again. The one first thing in the morning is firm but the other two, at lunch time and before bed, are loose. She's had nothing but the NVI salmon, not even any treats. Could it be that it's too rich for her? Or should I start suspecting a salmon allergy?

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

If she still doesnt have solid poops it may be the new food. It could be the switch was done too quick (that happened with Chanel my non bully) I would go to the bland diet for a few days and see how she does! Hope everything works out :hugs:
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

Real Name
    Dee
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lucy
    Likes (Received)

I switched her over from Wellness to the NVI really, really slowly. Just when I thought I was home free. Now this!

Real Name
    Dee
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lucy
    Likes (Received)

I just read on another thread that giving the meals too close together can cause loose stools. Currently I feed her at 7:30 AM and 2:30 PM. Could it be as simple as that? Needless to say I'm going to start tomorrow giving the second meal later in the day to see what happens. Would it be ok to give her a few green beans in between to take the edge off until she gets used to the new schedule? As it is, she starts pacing and whining to eat around 1:00. Sometimes she whines so much that I give in and feed her at 2:15. I really, really, really hope that this is the answer.

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Deestar View Post
    I just read on another thread that giving the meals too close together can cause loose stools. Currently I feed her at 7:30 AM and 2:30 PM. Could it be as simple as that? Needless to say I'm going to start tomorrow giving the second meal later in the day to see what happens. Would it be ok to give her a few green beans in between to take the edge off until she gets used to the new schedule? As it is, she starts pacing and whining to eat around 1:00. Sometimes she whines so much that I give in and feed her at 2:15. I really, really, really hope that this is the answer.
    Yes, this could be too close together. I wouldn't change his food - not even to go bland - unless I'm pretty certain it is an allergy. Allergies usually don't vascillate from firm to loose like that. Put the feedings 12 hours apart and observe. And no, I wouldn't add veggie treats or anything until she gets over this hump. We want to get her consistent stools without adding another mystery cause to the mix. She'll be fine waiting until 7:30PM. Or you can give her a nylabone or something to keep her occupied until then.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

How many times are you feeding her per day?? Twice or three times?

Real Name
    Dee
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lucy
    Likes (Received)

Thanks, anatess! Now that I think about it, it makes sense because the morning stool is almost always firm, I guess because it's been such a long time since the last meal. The afternoon and evening stools are the softest.

Tomorrow I will start feeding her later. Do I go right to 12 hours or should I make it gradually later every day? Either way, she's not gonna like it. Lol.

Real Name
    Dee
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lucy
    Likes (Received)

I feed her twice a day. One cup per feeding. She's on Wellness Super5mix Chicken. I transitioned her back to the Wellness from the NVI and the stools have gotten firmer but are still pretty soft. I haven't given her any snacks while I've been trying to sort this all out.
    Last edited by Deestar; 02-19-2013 at 10:35 PM.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

I feed her twice a day. One cup per feeding. She's on Wellness Super5mix Chicken. I transitioned her back to the Wellness from the NVI and the stools have gotten firmer but are still pretty soft. I haven't given her any snacks while I've been trying to sort this all out.
    We feed all our dogs twice a day too but it is spaced out pretty evenly. On average it's 6am and 6pm. If you are feeding her at 7.30am and then at 2.30pm then maybe you could space it out a bit more evenly. To me 2.30pm all the way round to 7.30 the next morning seems a long time ... but maybe I'm just talking about me!!!

Real Name
    Dee
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lucy
    Likes (Received)

Lol, me too. I can't seem to go 30 minutes without eating.

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Dee, how old is your dog? Is he under 6 months? If he's under 6 months, it's better to divide the meals into thirds and feed the dog every 4-6 hours. If he's well over 6 months, then every 12 hours is okay but you can still do the 3-meals deal if it's comfortable for you. Or, you can even do only half a cup for his morning meal and then the rest of the food at 2:30.

And no, you don't have to slowly reach the 12-hour spacing. You can just go on straight to 12 hours because my prediction is, at 2:30 your dog is still digesting his morning meal which is why he has issues. If the dog is truly "empty" then you may experience that the dog will spit out bile. Don't panic. It's just that the dog is "scheduled" to start digestion at 2:30 so he starts producing the enzymes to start the digestion process. If he's spitting out bile, you can go ahead and feed him his next meal earlier than the 12 hours but at least an hour after 2:30. Then the next day try to space out to 12 hours.

Because of the opportunistic nature of dogs, they easily fall into a predictable routine and their physiology starts to expect that routine to remain the same so that when something changes, they can possibly go through a phase of confusion. Because of this, I don't feed my dogs in a specific consistent schedule. They get fed once a day and sometimes it's early afternoon, sometimes, early evening, etc. This makes it easier for when the dogs go to the sitter and they have to get fed with the sitter's schedule because the dogs don't always know when the food is coming so they are not stuck to a specific schedule. It also makes it easier for when they have to fast for the vet or if I go numbskull and forget to buy the food (or in the case of my transition to raw, when I forget to defrost the stuff!)...
    Last edited by anatess; 02-20-2013 at 08:30 AM.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads