Help Needed! Yes, another dog food question

Kahnefan5

Dec 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian & Thatcher RIP--Cutter 12/01/2003-04/06/2012 & Tug 07/03/2006-07/19/2010
OK, here we go again, another dog food question, with so many great choices, I am not sure which to choose from, our 8 month old, Thatcher, has been on Taste of the Wild Puppy Pacific Stream since October and I am not convinced this is the food for him, his tear stains are getting worse, even though I wipe his face and clean his folds, don't even get me started on his smell, which puppy food and adult dog food would you recommend for his tear stains and smell, I am thinking of switching to one of the Fromm foods, but not sure which one to go with, our Olde English Bulldogge is also on Taste of the Wild, Pacific Stream, but does not have any tear stains or smell, he is on the adult formula, and last item, how old should a puppy be, before switching to adult food? Thank you everyone in advance!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
You can switch to an all life stages food anytime, although i recommend waiting until they are after 4 months old, i actually prefer more like 10 months due to how lean the fromm adult foods are. Fromm beef frittata is a popular choice on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
agree... Fromm has all stages line and you can do the slow switch over at anytime after 4 months.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I use Nature's Variety Instinct, which is grain and gluten free. Also, it does not contain potatoes as a starch, which can be important for yeasty dogs! So much is trial in and error so let us know how it goes!

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I agree! You want a food that uses peas instead of potato and earthborn grain free Bison formula is pea and pretty good priced! The local store here sells it for 46 for a big bag.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
If you're going to bother with puppy food, might as well take this all the way to 10, even 12 months before switching.

A bully has a different growth rate than most popular dog breeds. A Doberman, for example, shoots up and reaches adult height by around 6 months and then packs on muscles so that by a year to 18 months, he's pretty much done. A bichon frise grows to adult size even faster so that by 8 months to a year he's done.

An English Bulldog gets this slow growth rate all the way to 2 years old. And what's even more important, his massive skull and chest gets most of its widening between 6 months to a year. Also, his bone gets thicker during that time to support all that chest mass.

So, in my opinion, if you're going to bother with puppy food, might as well take it all the way through most of his growth phase. Because, isn't that why you're feeding him puppy food?

Dobermans, switch at 6 months is ok. You can take this all the way to 18 months depending on your particular doberman's growth rate. Bichons, 6 months to a year depending on your dog's growth rate. And for Bullys, 10 months at least.

But... To answer your specific 8 month old bully's situation, since you're already needing to go with a food switch, you can go ahead and transition him to an an all stage food as his long term diet so as not to have to go through another food switch in a few months. Or you can switch him to another puppy food then switch him over to the adult food in 6 months. It's up to you.

Last edited:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well fromm natures variety and earthborn are all good choices. what i recommend is find the right protein for your bully and go from there. alot of things can affect bullies such as environment to.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.