Thread: Yes, another dog food question

Bulldog(s) Names
    Sebastian & Thatcher RIP--Cutter 12/01/2003-04/06/2012 & Tug 07/03/2006-07/19/2010
    Likes (Received)

Default Yes, another dog food question

OK, here we go again, another dog food question, with so many great choices, I am not sure which to choose from, our 8 month old, Thatcher, has been on Taste of the Wild Puppy Pacific Stream since October and I am not convinced this is the food for him, his tear stains are getting worse, even though I wipe his face and clean his folds, don't even get me started on his smell, which puppy food and adult dog food would you recommend for his tear stains and smell, I am thinking of switching to one of the Fromm foods, but not sure which one to go with, our Olde English Bulldogge is also on Taste of the Wild, Pacific Stream, but does not have any tear stains or smell, he is on the adult formula, and last item, how old should a puppy be, before switching to adult food? Thank you everyone in advance!

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

You can switch to an all life stages food anytime, although i recommend waiting until they are after 4 months old, i actually prefer more like 10 months due to how lean the fromm adult foods are. Fromm beef frittata is a popular choice on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Yes, another dog food question

agree... Fromm has all stages line and you can do the slow switch over at anytime after 4 months.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

I use Nature's Variety Instinct, which is grain and gluten free. Also, it does not contain potatoes as a starch, which can be important for yeasty dogs! So much is trial in and error so let us know how it goes!

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Bully lovin' movie buff Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jenni
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola and Lucy
    Likes (Received)

I agree! You want a food that uses peas instead of potato and earthborn grain free Bison formula is pea and pretty good priced! The local store here sells it for 46 for a big bag.

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

If you're going to bother with puppy food, might as well take this all the way to 10, even 12 months before switching.

A bully has a different growth rate than most popular dog breeds. A Doberman, for example, shoots up and reaches adult height by around 6 months and then packs on muscles so that by a year to 18 months, he's pretty much done. A bichon frise grows to adult size even faster so that by 8 months to a year he's done.

An English Bulldog gets this slow growth rate all the way to 2 years old. And what's even more important, his massive skull and chest gets most of its widening between 6 months to a year. Also, his bone gets thicker during that time to support all that chest mass.

So, in my opinion, if you're going to bother with puppy food, might as well take it all the way through most of his growth phase. Because, isn't that why you're feeding him puppy food?

Dobermans, switch at 6 months is ok. You can take this all the way to 18 months depending on your particular doberman's growth rate. Bichons, 6 months to a year depending on your dog's growth rate. And for Bullys, 10 months at least.

But... To answer your specific 8 month old bully's situation, since you're already needing to go with a food switch, you can go ahead and transition him to an an all stage food as his long term diet so as not to have to go through another food switch in a few months. Or you can switch him to another puppy food then switch him over to the adult food in 6 months. It's up to you.
    Last edited by anatess; 01-25-2013 at 01:30 AM.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

well fromm natures variety and earthborn are all good choices. what i recommend is find the right protein for your bully and go from there. alot of things can affect bullies such as environment to.

Remove Ads