Help Needed! How much to feed...

Zapien

Oct 30, 2012
Zillah, Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Nihya
Everyone,

I hope all of your bullies are doing well. I have a question about how much to feed my bully puppies. I'm having a difficult time interpreting the daily serving for my puppies and momma Nihya.

I feed my bullies Natural Balance LID Duck and Potato. (All Stages). According to the bag should i be feeding a 20-30lb puppy 1.5-2 cups per serving or a total of 1.5-2 cups daily? If its per serving and i feed a puppy twice a day, its fair to say that i should feed 3-4 cups daily. Is this normal for puppies?

Also, I feed mama Nihya about 2.5 cups (1.25cups / 2x day) a day as she weighs about 53lbs. According to the bag, the "serving size" is 2.5-3.5 cups for a 40-60lb dog. Is "serving size" per serving or daily serving? If its per serving, I couldn't see Nihya eating 5lbs of food a day...

What's your take? Anyone else feed this type of food?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1359056288030.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359056288030.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 157

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Feeding Guidelines printed on the dog food package is on a "per day" basis. Adult dogs can be fed once a day. If you feed more often than that then split the daily recommended volume into the number of feedings per day. Puppies have smaller stomachs so they would eat a lot more often than adults.

Also, the feeding guidelines is just that - guideline. You adjust the amount up or down depending on how your dog is doing. If he's getting too chunky, reduce the amount. If he's getting too skinny, increase it. This is especially important in puppies as feeding puppies too much or too little can lead to growth issues like bone density problems and the like...

OP
Zapien

Zapien

Oct 30, 2012
Zillah, Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Nihya
I feed my puppies 1.25-1.5 cups in the morning and about 1.25 early evening. They are 12 weeks and about 20 lbs. They will eat all of what i feed them. Am i feeding them to much?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
If your pups are 20 to 25 lb.s each I would feed about 1 cup 3 times a day until about 6 months of age then you can go to twice a day and about 3 to 3 1/2 cup. You can gauge this by how much they gain. If they are on the skinny side increase their intake and if they are getting too fat you can reduce it some. We feed our adult females 3/4 cup twice a day. The key is a good quality food. The better the food the less you have to feed.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i think davidh has got this covered. i go by how my bully does on it whether they gain or lose. i am not thrilled with that food simply because of the very low protein in it. maybe look at adding some protein to your dogs diet as i hate to say change food if they are doing good on it. good luck :2thumbs:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I have 2 EB's, they are 11 months old. When they were small pups, we fed them 1 cup three times a day, at 8 am, 2 pm, and again at 8pm, we did this until they were 7 months old. Puppies need the extra calories, fat, and vitamins for their rapid growth, development, and because they are more active. When they turned 7 months, we switched them to adult food Fromms Beef Fritatta, and also switched them to twice a day feedings, and 1 1/2 cups in the morning and 1 1/2 cups at night. They are both 11 months old, my male weighs 40 lbs, and my female weighs 40.5 lbs.

OP
Zapien

Zapien

Oct 30, 2012
Zillah, Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Nihya
i think davidh has got this covered. i go by how my bully does on it whether they gain or lose. i am not thrilled with that food simply because of the very low protein in it. maybe look at adding some protein to your dogs diet as i hate to say change food if they are doing good on it. good luck :2thumbs:

The only reason I went with this food was because i went to a pet specialty store and the lady said that a lot of the bulldog owners purchase Natural Balance LID Duck and Potato due to the lower protein. I was giving them TOTW Roasted Lamb, but the lady said that it contained a lot of protein, which wasn't good for bulldogs.

I was looking for an all stages food as I have bully puppies and mom at home.

Also, my girl was blowing her coat like crazy. She had patches of lost hair on top of her head, behind her ears, and along her entire back from neck to tail. She also started to get black patches on her skin, which she had before. I wasn't sure if it was a hormonal thing cuz she stopped feeding the pups or because i had her on Purina Pro Plan puppy formula (most likely the culprit).

What would you recommend for an all stages of food so I can feed mom and puppies? I'm still trying to find that one food that will help her. I think she's allergic to salmon (pink face, paw licking) or potatoes cuz I just started the new kibble about 2 weeks ago and the grizzly salmon oil (in hopes to help with her hair loss) about 3 weeks ago....

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=6606]Zapien[/MENTION] ok first off im no expert on puppies and mama bullies so im not sure changing food now is a good thing. is she still nursing the puppies? let me tag some experts and if they say its ok ill see if we can figure out something. [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION]

OP
Zapien

Zapien

Oct 30, 2012
Zillah, Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Nihya
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] no puppies are now 12 weeks and completely weaned off at 7 weeks. I'd like to avoid having to buy different food for mom and puppies, if possible. Thank you!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
This is normal for moms to lose hair. It will grow back in about 6 to 8 months from now.

I feed my bully's Nutrisca lamb and chick pea. no grain or potato

I also cook for them every Saturday, a weeks worth of food. So they get 1-3/4 of kibble with a topper of home made once a day. the home made is a mix of good grade low fat beef and fresh vegetables

Last edited:
OP
Zapien

Zapien

Oct 30, 2012
Zillah, Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Nihya
[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] thank you for the insight. I was so worried about her losing her hair so quickly. At least I know it's hormonal.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
@Sherry thank you for the insight. I was so worried about her losing her hair so quickly. At least I know it's hormonal.

yep, it's scary at first and very unsightly but normal

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We feed our pups FROMM Puppy Gold, in the pink bag. If your mom is doing well on the food she is on then I'd leave her on it, but for the pups I'd give them the FROMM.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.