ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I agree with the above diet comments. I represent a line of pet foods and have found through research that Science Diet is not a great food but is recommended by vets because they make money off the food. I learned that most veterinarians have very little training in pet nutrition. :nope: Apparently at one time Science Diet was a good food--until it was sold to Colgate-Palmolive. Most of the big name pet food companies are now owned by huge corporations who haven't a clue. Steer away from foods that contain corn, wheat, or soy. The best thing you can do is learn to read labels on pet foods. It's amazing the deceptive practices that the companies use to mask their ingredients, such as ingredient splitting. I was shocked at what pet food companies put in their foods!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Thanks to all who have answered :) If I had known she was that young I would have waited a few weeks....but even then the puppies were separated and eating solid food. I'm going to keep researching the site and find a good food to do the slow switch. I know soy isn't good for them. We live on a farm so we have natural beef, chicken, venison, pork, home grown veggies, fresh eggs, and milk. I'm sure with help from EBN Ill be able to come up with something lol

You are one lucky dude! If I had a farm like yours, I wouldn't bother with kibbles. I'll cut him off the Science Diet and go straight to Prey-Model Raw. There's tons of info on this on the Raw Feeding section of this forum.

MS is one of the 30 states that don't have legislation on puppy age separation from the dam. In Florida, it is a first class misdemeanor to sell a puppy at under 8 weeks of age. In Virginia it is Class 3 misdemeanor to knowingly separate a weaned puppy under 7 weeks of age or unweaned puppy of any age from its mother or a surrogate mother who has accepted the puppy. Just because it is not illegal in MS to do so doesn't mean it is right.

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
For my two cents; my gut feeling is Gracie is in better hands now than she was with her mama and breeder. While I totally agree she should have had more time with her littermates and mother, there isn't much to be done about this now.

Sometimes I swear these little puppies should be considered rescues from these unfeeling and greedy breeders.

Gracie is still simply gorgeous. I am curious though- feel free not to answer if you don't feel comfortable. But is she AKC registered? I am still learning a lot about bulldogs, but I didn't know that the blue color was a standard color. Not to mention the lemon brindling. They are pretty unusual colors in a bullie- gorgeous, but still unusual.

OP
PapaSmurf2

PapaSmurf2

Bike riding, bully loving soldier
Jan 21, 2013
Hattiesburg MS
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie
I've been reading about the raw foods and do think for both her and us that's going to be the way to go. Skye makes food for the yorkies but I want to keep Gracie on something she's used to for a little bit until she is more or less potty/crate trained and used to the new surroundings. She is not akc registered. In fact according to the paper work she is an Olde English. So she wouldn't be recognized anyway. There was a ckc app in the paperwork. As of right now we don't have plans of registering her anywhere. We're in it for the love and she'll be spayed when she hits around 6 months. :)

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I've been reading about the raw foods and do think for both her and us that's going to be the way to go. Skye makes food for the yorkies but I want to keep Gracie on something she's used to for a little bit until she is more or less potty/crate trained and used to the new surroundings. She is not akc registered. In fact according to the paper work she is an Olde English. So she wouldn't be recognized anyway. There was a ckc app in the paperwork. As of right now we don't have plans of registering her anywhere. We're in it for the love and she'll be spayed when she hits around 6 months. :)

It's up to your comfort level, of course, but as far as the dog is concerned, there's really no need to wait. Puppies are more flexible to change especially one as young as yours. The longer she stays on Science Diet, the longer she is missing out on good nutrition. Of course, it's not going to kill your dog or anything... it's just that these guys are so prone to allergies or yeast infections that excellent nutrition can be really beneficial.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Thanks to all who have answered :) If I had known she was that young I would have waited a few weeks....but even then the puppies were separated and eating solid food. I'm going to keep researching the site and find a good food to do the slow switch. I know soy isn't good for them. We live on a farm so we have natural beef, chicken, venison, pork, home grown veggies, fresh eggs, and milk. I'm sure with help from EBN Ill be able to come up with something lol

If you have all that fresh, may I suggest feeding her raw....

And yes I agree with [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] 6 weeks is shamefully young, but it's good that your looking after her...she's beautiful.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
wow i agree that is way to young to go but well its done now and im glad she has someone who is concerned for her and will take care of her. if you are going to leave her on science diet for a bit then may i suggest a vitamin to make sure she is getting all the nutrition she needs. lots here feed home cooked or raw if you decide to to that route or a good quality kibble can be benficial. good luck :2thumbs:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.