Thread: Not sure????

Bike riding, bully loving soldier Become a 4 Paw Member PapaSmurf2's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rob McKinnell
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gracie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Not sure????

We have a teacup yorkie and a standard yorkie (both are up to date on all shots and have yearly physicals). Gracie gets along fine with both of them (even though the teacup likes looking down her nose at Gracie lol). In fact, the standard has kinda taken on a motherly role. Where can I get Fromm gold?

Real Name
    Robert
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bauer
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    Shame on your breeder for letting the puppies go too early! But for you for following your own instincts. Sounds like she is on her way..

While Science Diet isn't a high rated food..I probably wouldn't mess with it if she is ok with it. When she gets ready for an all stage food you can mke a slow switch then!
    I agree....we couldn't pick up Bauer until about 10 weeks...

Robert

Real Name
    Robert
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bauer
    Likes (Received)

We use Purina Pro Plan...Puppy

Robert

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by robertbrewer View Post
    We use Purina Pro Plan...Puppy

Robert

Purina pro plan isnt rated very good from what I understand

Real Name
    Dominique
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Briley
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scueva View Post
    Purina pro plan isnt rated very good from what I understand
    You're right, it is a 2 star dog food (rated out of 5 stars)

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chris
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I agree with the above diet comments. I represent a line of pet foods and have found through research that Science Diet is not a great food but is recommended by vets because they make money off the food. I learned that most veterinarians have very little training in pet nutrition. Apparently at one time Science Diet was a good food--until it was sold to Colgate-Palmolive. Most of the big name pet food companies are now owned by huge corporations who haven't a clue. Steer away from foods that contain corn, wheat, or soy. The best thing you can do is learn to read labels on pet foods. It's amazing the deceptive practices that the companies use to mask their ingredients, such as ingredient splitting. I was shocked at what pet food companies put in their foods!

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf2 View Post
    Thanks to all who have answered If I had known she was that young I would have waited a few weeks....but even then the puppies were separated and eating solid food. I'm going to keep researching the site and find a good food to do the slow switch. I know soy isn't good for them. We live on a farm so we have natural beef, chicken, venison, pork, home grown veggies, fresh eggs, and milk. I'm sure with help from EBN Ill be able to come up with something lol
    You are one lucky dude! If I had a farm like yours, I wouldn't bother with kibbles. I'll cut him off the Science Diet and go straight to Prey-Model Raw. There's tons of info on this on the Raw Feeding section of this forum.

MS is one of the 30 states that don't have legislation on puppy age separation from the dam. In Florida, it is a first class misdemeanor to sell a puppy at under 8 weeks of age. In Virginia it is Class 3 misdemeanor to knowingly separate a weaned puppy under 7 weeks of age or unweaned puppy of any age from its mother or a surrogate mother who has accepted the puppy. Just because it is not illegal in MS to do so doesn't mean it is right.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracy Edwards Thompson
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
    Likes (Received)

For my two cents; my gut feeling is Gracie is in better hands now than she was with her mama and breeder. While I totally agree she should have had more time with her littermates and mother, there isn't much to be done about this now.

Sometimes I swear these little puppies should be considered rescues from these unfeeling and greedy breeders.

Gracie is still simply gorgeous. I am curious though- feel free not to answer if you don't feel comfortable. But is she AKC registered? I am still learning a lot about bulldogs, but I didn't know that the blue color was a standard color. Not to mention the lemon brindling. They are pretty unusual colors in a bullie- gorgeous, but still unusual.

Proud Mother of Winston Biscuit since October 30, 2010.

Bike riding, bully loving soldier Become a 4 Paw Member PapaSmurf2's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rob McKinnell
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gracie
    Likes (Received)

I've been reading about the raw foods and do think for both her and us that's going to be the way to go. Skye makes food for the yorkies but I want to keep Gracie on something she's used to for a little bit until she is more or less potty/crate trained and used to the new surroundings. She is not akc registered. In fact according to the paper work she is an Olde English. So she wouldn't be recognized anyway. There was a ckc app in the paperwork. As of right now we don't have plans of registering her anywhere. We're in it for the love and she'll be spayed when she hits around 6 months.

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

I've been reading about the raw foods and do think for both her and us that's going to be the way to go. Skye makes food for the yorkies but I want to keep Gracie on something she's used to for a little bit until she is more or less potty/crate trained and used to the new surroundings. She is not akc registered. In fact according to the paper work she is an Olde English. So she wouldn't be recognized anyway. There was a ckc app in the paperwork. As of right now we don't have plans of registering her anywhere. We're in it for the love and she'll be spayed when she hits around 6 months.
    It's up to your comfort level, of course, but as far as the dog is concerned, there's really no need to wait. Puppies are more flexible to change especially one as young as yours. The longer she stays on Science Diet, the longer she is missing out on good nutrition. Of course, it's not going to kill your dog or anything... it's just that these guys are so prone to allergies or yeast infections that excellent nutrition can be really beneficial.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Thanks to all who have answered If I had known she was that young I would have waited a few weeks....but even then the puppies were separated and eating solid food. I'm going to keep researching the site and find a good food to do the slow switch. I know soy isn't good for them. We live on a farm so we have natural beef, chicken, venison, pork, home grown veggies, fresh eggs, and milk. I'm sure with help from EBN Ill be able to come up with something lol
    If you have all that fresh, may I suggest feeding her raw....

And yes I agree with @Davidh 6 weeks is shamefully young, but it's good that your looking after her...she's beautiful.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

wow i agree that is way to young to go but well its done now and im glad she has someone who is concerned for her and will take care of her. if you are going to leave her on science diet for a bit then may i suggest a vitamin to make sure she is getting all the nutrition she needs. lots here feed home cooked or raw if you decide to to that route or a good quality kibble can be benficial. good luck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads