Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
I would like some feedback from those 'in the know' regarding a certain dog food that is not listed in the 2010 food list. My question is regarding Pure Vita Grain free Salmon---is this a 4-star, 5-star, 6-star food? What I like about it is that it contains Glucosamine and Chondroitin which are helpful ingredients if your bully has hip dysplasia. This is a brand new food (been on the market less than 2 years). However I have noticed that my dog is pooping a lot and a lot more often. I don't know if this is because I also add 1/4 cup of wet food (been supplementing with Wellness Whitefish and Sweet Potato-seriously FISHY smell). However, her skin and coat seem SO MUCH BETTER. She no longer smells like 'corn chips'. Here is the list of ingredients in the Pure Vita---any feedback is welcome!

Pure Vita Grain Free Salmon - PureVita Grain Free Salmon Formula with Sweet Potatoes and Berries combines tasty Salmon with wholesome sweet potatoes and a select variety of berries, fruits and vegetables to deliver a healthy and delicious, easy to digest meal your dog will love. Carniking, a trusted source of L-Carnitine provides muscle and heart health for your dog. This true single source protein provides complete and balanced nutrition for all life stages of your dog.
Guaranteed Analysis

USMetric
Crude Protein (Min.)24.0%240 g/kg
Crude Fat (Min.)16.0%160 g/kg
Crude Fiber (Max.)6.0%60 g/kg
Moisture (Max.)10.0%100 g/kg
*Omega - 6 Fatty Acids (Min.)4.0%40 g/kg
*Omega - 3 Fatty Acids (Min.).4%4 g/kg
*Glucosamine (Min)550 mg/kg
*Chondroitin Sulfate (Min)150 mg/kg
*Ascorbic Acid (Source of Vitamin C) (Min.)70 mg/kg
*Total Microorganisms (Min)100 million CFU/lb**
(Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Enterococcus faecium, Aspergillus niger, Bacillus subtillis)
*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.
** Colony Forming Units per pound
Ingredients

Salmon, salmon meal (a source of salmon oil), peas, sweet potato, pea flour, pea starch, sunflower oil, alfalfa, flax seed, dicalcium phosphate, potassium chloride, tomato pomace, salt, calcium carbonate, cranberries, minerals (zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, cobalt proteinate, selenium yeast), choline chloride, blueberries, pea fiber, glucosamine hydrochloride, turmeric, taurine, chicory extract, lecithin, vitamins (vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin, d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), L-tryptophan, garlic, ascorbic acid (source of vitamin C), chondroitin sulfate, yucca schidigera extract, L-carnitine, calcium iodate, rosemary extract, yeast culture (Saccharomyces cerevisiae), dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Aspergillus niger fermentation product, dried Bacillus subtillis fermentation product.
Pure Vita[SUP]TM[/SUP] Grain Free Salmon Formula dog food is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for all life stages.
Feeding Guidelines
Feed 1/2 to 3/4 cups per 10 pounds of body weight; Feed 60 to 90 grams per 5 kg of body weight.

ADULT FEEDING CHART**GRAIN FREE SALMON FORMULA DOG FOOD
YOUR PET'S WEIGHTDAILY FEEDING
(lbs./kg)(8 oz. Cups/grams)
0 - 5lbs. /0 -2kg1/4 - 1/2 Cup / 25 - 58g
10 - 20lbs. / 5 - 9 kg2/3 - 1 Cup / 77 - 116g
30 - 40 lbs. /14 - 18kg1 2/5 - 1 2/3 Cups / 163 - 193g
50 - 60lbs. /23 - 27kg2 - 2 1/4 Cups / 232 - 262g
70 - 80lbs. /32 - 36kg2 1/2 - 2 2/3 Cups / 291 - 309g
80 - 100lbs. /36 - 45kg2 2/3 - 3 1/4Cups / 309 - 378g
**Amount of food consumed will vary based on activity level, age, breed and environment. Consult your veterinarian if you believe your dog is too thin or overweight. Remember it is important to have clean, fresh water available for your dog at all times.
Calorie Content Metabolizable Energy (calculated):3,908 kcal per kg, 454 kcal per cup

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I don't know what constitutes a 4-star, 5-star, or 6-star. From just the stuff you posted above, this is a moderate food (carbs content is approximately 42%). Peas is high protein plant matter so with only a 24% protein content, it seems like the animal proteins from the salmon is not that much. So all the carbs and plant matter is probably why your dog is pooping a lot more.

So, at first glance, this is an okay food to feed your dog. But, there are better ones out there.

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
I use the exact same food! I think it's a four star food. I've noticed he does poop a lot more often! I always thought it was from the probiotics but I don't know either!?

Bulldogs are angels in fur coats

OP
Valentine215

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
I don't know what constitutes a 4-star, 5-star, or 6-star. From just the stuff you posted above, this is a moderate food (carbs content is approximately 42%). Peas is high protein plant matter so with only a 24% protein content, it seems like the animal proteins from the salmon is not that much. So all the carbs and plant matter is probably why your dog is pooping a lot more.

So, at first glance, this is an okay food to feed your dog. But, there are better ones out there.

Oh my gosh! No wonder! I think maybe I should switch to Fromm's Four Star and see how she does! Thank you so much for your reply ANATESS! I LOVE this website...I have had SO MANY questions answered regarding my darling Petunia!

OP
Valentine215

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
I use the exact same food! I think it's a four star food. I've noticed he does poop a lot more often! I always thought it was from the probiotics but I don't know either!?

Well Emily, guess we learned something new today! I'mm gonna make the switch and let you know how it works out! and YES---Bulldogs ARE angels in fur coats! ♥

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
how much total are you feeding her? It could be too much overall. And are her poops dark and firm? That is an indication on whether they are digesting well.

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
Lol yes, I'm glad you posted this! Thanks!

OP
Valentine215

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
how much total are you feeding her? It could be too much overall. And are her poops dark and firm? That is an indication on whether they are digesting well.

I am feeding her about 2 cups with 1/4 cup of the Wellness Whitefish and Sweet potato mixed in. Her poops are firm and dark.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
I was feeding nutri source grain free salmon and free range I beleive which was buffalo protein. The food made her poop alot and also drink waaaay to much water. Had I not switched her to raw I was going to try the pure-vita. Pure-vita is a limited ingrediants formula which could be good it any allergies are present. I also found nutri source to be pretty pricey based on the "meal" content. If duchess was on kibble there was one I found that contained NO meal products. Very pricey but well worth it I beleive. Good luck with your search for a new food.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
I am feeding her about 2 cups with 1/4 cup of the Wellness Whitefish and Sweet potato mixed in. Her poops are firm and dark.

I'm guessing your bullie is about 45 lbs? That's actually not too much, although, of course, guidelines are just guidelines - you would want to adjust the amount based on whether your bullie is getting too chunky or too skinny. The firm and dark is a telltale sign that he may not be digesting the food properly.

Yeah, choosing the proper dog food for your specific dog can be quite an exercise in patience and trial and error. A lot of people here have good luck with Fromm Grain Free. My dogs are on Earthborn Holistics Grain Free (Primitive Natural Formula) and before that they were on Blue Buffalo Wilderness Grain Free (alternating between Duck and Salmon Formula). So, I know at least those ones are excellent food. Of course, each dog is different, so what works for our dog may not work for yours.

Just an added note on why I chose Primitive Natural... if you look at the ingredients of Primitive Natural, it goes meat, meat, meat, potato, meat... Protein at 38%, fat at 20%, and carbs only at approx 28% all in the 454kcal/cup (same as Pure Vita you showed). Potatoes is not much of a protein source, so you can pretty much conclude that most of that 38% of protein is from animal source. Animal protein is much more digestible to dogs than plant proteins... basically, my leather shoes is rich in protein, but when my dog ate my shoe, the shoe just got pooped out because the dog can't properly digest that protein. Make sense? Protein from peas in Pure Vita is digestible to dogs too but not as efficiently as animal proteins. My dogs' poops are excellent. And I got lucky that my dogs are not allergic to any of the ingredients.

Last edited:

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
I was feeding nutri source grain free salmon and free range I beleive which was buffalo protein. The food made her poop alot and also drink waaaay to much water. Had I not switched her to raw I was going to try the pure-vita. Pure-vita is a limited ingrediants formula which could be good it any allergies are present. I also found nutri source to be pretty pricey based on the "meal" content. If duchess was on kibble there was one I found that contained NO meal products. Very pricey but well worth it I beleive. Good luck with your search for a new food.

But "meal" is an excellent ingredient (of course, only if the "meal" is a named meat like Salmon Meal - not "mystery meat meal"). Meal is basically meat concentrates which would have 3 times the amount of protein per volume than plain meat. The Primitive Natural formula of Earthborn Holistics, for example, has 3 meat "meals" as its first ingredients and it costs over $10 less than Fromm.

I so wanted to switch to raw, though. Prey model type. I'm just scared of the cost... I need to figure out some co-op or something that I can get cheaper meat than my regular grocery.

Last edited:
OP
Valentine215

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm guessing your bullie is about 45 lbs? That's actually not too much, although, of course, guidelines are just guidelines - you would want to adjust the amount based on whether your bullie is getting too chunky or too skinny. The firm and dark is a telltale sign that he may not be digesting the food properly.

Yeah, choosing the proper dog food for your specific dog can be quite an exercise in patience and trial and error. A lot of people here have good luck with Fromm Grain Free. My dogs are on Earthborn Holistics Grain Free (Primitive Natural Formula) and before that they were on Blue Buffalo Wilderness Grain Free (alternating between Duck and Salmon Formula). So, I know at least those ones are excellent food. Of course, each dog is different, so what works for our dog may not work for yours.

Just an added note on why I chose Primitive Natural... if you look at the ingredients of Primitive Natural, it goes meat, meat, meat, potato, meat... Protein at 38%, fat at 20%, and carbs only at approx 28% all in the 454kcal/cup (same as Pure Vita you showed). Potatoes is not much of a protein source, so you can pretty much conclude that most of that 38% of protein is from animal source. Animal protein is much more digestible to dogs than plant proteins... basically, my leather shoes is rich in protein, but when my dog ate my shoe, the shoe just got pooped out because the dog can't properly digest that protein. Make sense? Protein from peas in Pure Vita is digestible to dogs too but not as efficiently as animal proteins. My dogs' poops are excellent. And I got lucky that my dogs are not allergic to any of the ingredients.

Actually my bully weighs 63 pounds. She was at 70. She is spayed. She has ALWAYS eaten a lot---she will just eat and eat and eat if I don't watch her. I would like to get her down to 55-58 pounds. I notice that she is always REALLy hungry now. Someone from the board suggested supplementing frozen green beans because it fills her up without adding calories. I don't know that she has specific food allergies but she has teary eyes, lots of yeast and is constantly shaking her head and licking her paws which are quite raw between the pads and smell awful. I have noticed since going grain-free that some of these symptoms have decreased but are not entirely gone. However, she now smells good and her coat and alopecia are improving.

I notice that the Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural has Whitefish in it and I don't think she likes Whitefish but I am willing to try it.

Last edited:

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Actually my bully weighs 63 pounds. She was at 70. She is spayed. She has ALWAYS eaten a lot---she will just eat and eat and eat if I don't watch her. I would like to get her down to 55-58 pounds. I notice that she is always REALLy hungry now. Someone from the board suggested supplementing frozen green beans because it fills her up without adding calories. I don't know that she has specific food allergies but she has teary eyes, lots of yeast and is constantly shaking her head and licking her paws which are quite raw between the pads and smell awful. I have noticed since going grain-free that some of these symptoms have decreased but are not entirely gone. However, she now smells good and her coat and alopecia are improving.

I notice that the Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural has Whitefish in it and I don't think she likes Whitefish but I am willing to try it.

Whoa! Big momma! I have a 60-pounder too...

Yes, yeast is fed by sugar (carbs break down to sugar). So the higher the carbs (grains, potatoes, etc.) the more the yeast thrives. Going grain-free definitely will help with the yeast. Lowering the carbs content would help even more. Going sugar-free would even be better (like going on a prey-model raw diet). But, of course, it all depends on how your dog reacts to certain things.

If the whitefish is a problem, Earthborn Holistics has the Great Plains Feast formula with the main protein source being Bison. It has 34% protein and approximately 30% carbs. Still lower than Pure-Vita. And, of course, there are more choices with Fromm too.

My dogs love ice-cubes for treats! Plain ice-cubes. They chew on it like it's bones...

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
P.S. If you need something for his paws and ears, I found that witch hazel (from the nature store) works in disinfecting his ears - just put witch hazel in cotton balls (not Q-tips) and wipe his ears with it. Then for the paws, I would just dunk his paws on a solution of 1 gallon water to 1 cup hydrogen peroxide and 2 cups vinegar. I would just pour a bit of the solution in a plastic cup deep enough to submerge each paw and use a fresh solution for each paw.

It's a stop-gap thing - just something to clean and disinfect it, not really cure it.

OP
Valentine215

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
LOL! I have never seen her eat ice cubes but she will eat almost anything...and we have to watch her because she will eat table food too---which I never give her. She is so different from my first bully, Samson. He would not eat anything...once I got him to eat something, I had to keep him on that because he would not eat anything new. Not food, not treats, not even table food. LOL! Miss Petunia....well she is a happy, happy, happy girl and is happy with anything. I just adore her!

So what about the Fromm's 4-star? What blend would be best in the grain-free?

I will try the water/vinegar solution...do you heat it before? She does NOT like to have her paws handled. I have a hard time cleaning her tail too...it is inverted and it gets really nasty. She runs off when I try to clean it out though.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.