Help Needed! Just when we thought we were home free.....

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Hi to all my food gurus!
Bogey has been on the Beef Fritata (Fromms) since last MOnday (8 days) I transitioned very slowly and he was doing GREAT! Poop was solid, small and only 2-3 times a day!
I was increasing the kibble about a Tbsp. a day- he is now up to 1/2 cup kibble and about 1/4- 1/3 cup rice and hamburger. No new treats added. Yesterday evening, his poop was very soft and he went twice after dinner. Today, he has had 5 large poops, very soft serve- hard to pick up with the bag) and his face and neck are very pink! No scratching, but this looks like an allergy to something! How long do I wait to determine if this is a food allergy? I don't want to make him worse, but I don't want to jump the gun either!
Any suggestions!
I was SO hopeful I had found the right food.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
sounds like a lot of poop for a little bit of food. How many cups total food in one day? 2 cups? 3 cups?

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Is there a reason why you are doing the Hamburger and rice with it?
Is there any way he got into something or a treat or table food?
I think general rule of thumb is to wait 2 weeks and then look at the results.

OP
mer55

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
sounds like a lot of poop for a little bit of food. How many cups total food in one day? 2 cups? 3 cups?[/QUOTE

He is getting 1/2 cup kibble and the rest (about 1/4-1/3 cup) is rice and hamburger, so about 2 1/4- 2 3/4 cup food total. He eats 3 times a day.
[MENTION=3169]BellasMom[/MENTION]: He is on the rice and hamburger because of some GI problems 2 weeks ago and the vet put him on stomach medication and nothing but rice and hamburger. He did great on that- stool was nice and firm, and he did well with only a little bit of kibble. I can't take him off the rice and meat until he gets transitioned totally to the kibble.
As for treats- nothing new. I have been using homemade beef and rice treats. He has not eaten anything new or anything he shouldn't have. I am more concerned about the redness on his neck and face. He gets a little red when he is overheated, but it is cool here today and it did not go away after he slept for awhile.
I will cut back on the kibble and increase the rice and meat for a day or 2 and see what happens. I just so hope he isn't allergic to something in the food!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Could it be the medication?

I would give the change more time before changing again.

Let us know, will keep y'all in prayers.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
sounds like a lot of poop for a little bit of food. How many cups total food in one day? 2 cups? 3 cups?[/QUOTE

He is getting 1/2 cup kibble and the rest (about 1/4-1/3 cup) is rice and hamburger, so about 2 1/4- 2 3/4 cup food total. He eats 3 times a day.
@BellasMom: He is on the rice and hamburger because of some GI problems 2 weeks ago and the vet put him on stomach medication and nothing but rice and hamburger. He did great on that- stool was nice and firm, and he did well with only a little bit of kibble. I can't take him off the rice and meat until he gets transitioned totally to the kibble.
As for treats- nothing new. I have been using homemade beef and rice treats. He has not eaten anything new or anything he shouldn't have. I am more concerned about the redness on his neck and face. He gets a little red when he is overheated, but it is cool here today and it did not go away after he slept for awhile.
I will cut back on the kibble and increase the rice and meat for a day or 2 and see what happens. I just so hope he isn't allergic to something in the food!

[MENTION=5315]Texas Carol[/MENTION] is right. Maintain this mixture for a few more days and see if he still stays red. If it gets worse, cut back. If it doesn't get worse, keep at it. If after a week it doesn't get better, there's a chance you need to find another formula...

OP
mer55

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Could it be the medication?

I would give the change more time before changing again.

Let us know, will keep y'all in prayers.
He finished the medication last Thursday so it can't be that, I am just going to take a small step back and decrease the kibble amount for a day or two. I won't make any changes - as luck would have it he has an appt with the vet on Thursday. Fingers crossed it was just a flakey thing. Thanks

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.